Description Of "bigfoot"

Bill

Guest RedRatSnake

Speaking for myself only, the super BF is a product of reported sightings and conversation on many BF related forums, no one persons description, it's a combo of many coming together that has this mystery more in the fantasy category than the possible.

Tim :)

denialist:

" I just find it odd that you're upset at parns description,"

Again, you are stating a condition of your imagination, rather than a fact.

Once again, I will ask, if you wish to comment about what I post, please quote what I said first (as I have done with your quote above) so we know you are not inventing a description of me or my thoughts which is not so.

I am not "upset" by the description.

I was curious if the person offering the description composed it himself or was quoting another source who made the discriptive list, and if so who was the source.

On the matter of 30 mph , I understand humans can run about that fast in 100 yard dashes, and many quadripeds can easily runn faster. Is there one species which runs 30 mph in both bipedal and quadrapedal modes? I would be curious to know.

Bill

Is there one species which runs 30 mph in both bipedal and quadrapedal modes? I would be curious to know.

If we are to believe bigfoot witnesses, then bigfoot would be your answer. How fast can a gorilla run in 4x4 mode? I can't seem to find any definitive answer, but I'm hearing 20-25 mph, which is pretty fast considering the length of their legs compared to a supposed bigfoot.

Here's some quotes from an article by John Green that covers many of the characteristics that you take issue with Parn reporting: (my highlighting in each case)

"We are dealing with reports of something that walks upright like a human but
is entirely covered with hair
and is usually much larger than a human...

The
average
of all the height estimates is
more than seven and a half feet.
In California and Oregon
the averages exceed eight feet
, and nowhere are they significantly less than seven feet....

Seventy per cent of necks are "short"
and
twenty-five per cent have "no neck
." Flat faces, large flat noses,
sloped foreheads
, and brow ridges are noted in nearly all descriptions resulting from close observation...

There are in addition a number of significant observations that have been reported only a few times:...
I have six reports of running Sasquatches being clocked by people in cars. Speeds reported were thirty-five, forty-five, fifty to sixty, seventy, and eighty miles per hour

One observer has reported two incidents in which it seemed that a Sasquatch
did not have an opposable thumb
, or at least did not use it in that way.
I have no specific report of a Sasquatch using the thumb in opposition

There are also a number of things about Sasquatches that seem to me to be significant because
they have not been reported
:...

I have
no report of a Sasquatch using fire

I have
no report of a Sasquatch using any object as a tool

I have
no report of a Sasquatch having a home, even in a cave
."

RayG

Guest parnassus

If we are to believe bigfoot witnesses, then bigfoot would be your answer. How fast can a gorilla run in 4x4 mode? I can't seem to find any definitive answer, but I'm hearing 20-25 mph, which is pretty fast considering the length of their legs compared to a supposed bigfoot.

Here's some quotes from an article by John Green that covers many of the characteristics that you take issue with Parn reporting: (my highlighting in each case)

"We are dealing with reports of something that walks upright like a human but
is entirely covered with hair
and is usually much larger than a human...

The
average
of all the height estimates is
more than seven and a half feet.
In California and Oregon
the averages exceed eight feet
, and nowhere are they significantly less than seven feet....

Seventy per cent of necks are "short"
and
twenty-five per cent have "no neck
." Flat faces, large flat noses,
sloped foreheads
, and brow ridges are noted in nearly all descriptions resulting from close observation...

There are in addition a number of significant observations that have been reported only a few times:...
I have six reports of running Sasquatches being clocked by people in cars. Speeds reported were thirty-five, forty-five, fifty to sixty, seventy, and eighty miles per hour

One observer has reported two incidents in which it seemed that a Sasquatch
did not have an opposable thumb
, or at least did not use it in that way.
I have no specific report of a Sasquatch using the thumb in opposition

There are also a number of things about Sasquatches that seem to me to be significant because
they have not been reported
:...

I have
no report of a Sasquatch using fire

I have
no report of a Sasquatch using any object as a tool

I have
no report of a Sasquatch having a home, even in a cave
."

RayG

Ray,

Thanks for posting this stuff. You are a gentleman and a scholar, and there aren't many of us left. :rolleyes:

Guest RedRatSnake

He only uses the ass hat as an avatar against the system ~

Since i have been on these forums Ray has been one of the more informative and logical members i have encountered, lightly sprinkled with just the right amount of Witt and humor as to **** off the Squatcher's.

Tim :lol:

Guest RedRatSnake

Hey ! there ain't much kudos going on these days in here so why not jump on board and say thanks once in a while, sure beats the hell out of listening to the ole Skeptic versus Everyone else argument, New thread coming soon ~

Tim :)

The "fanciful" was mostly directed at the combined list as a whole, and trying to envision one creature exhibiting all the listed traits.

Exactly why I kept asking which specific characteristics you were having trouble accepting. Glowing eyes and running speeds of 30mph or greater may be news to you, but to those of us that have read hundreds of reports, it's old news.

You remind me of one of the six blind men trying to describe an elephant, a tale that's been around for centuries. You've grabbed on to a specific mental image of the elephant (bigfoot) and cannot fathom that it might have all the features the others are describing.

Blindmenelephant.jpg

And so these men of Hindustan

Disputed loud and long,

Each in his own opinion

Exceeding stiff and strong,

Though each was partly in the right

And all were in the wrong.

Image and poem from the wiki page.

In this particular case however, it's not so much that you're arguing with the other blind men, it's more like you're niggling about the list some bystander made from the collective descriptions.

RayG

Guest shelley7950

This seems like a good place to share this story----I work in the Humane Investigations department of our local Humane Society and take the animal cruelty complaints that come in....the following is not a highly unusual call for us:

Yesterday I spoke to a woman who said she and her husband had spent the last 2 weeks watching two “wild animals†of some sort trapped on the porch roof of the business across the street…she speculated that it was a mama and a baby---the baby had fallen off a higher portion of the roof, the mama jumped down to save it, and they were both trapped….she wasn’t sure what they were, exactly, because they always kept their faces hidden, but she thought most likely they were possums because when it got real cold they stopped moving and she thought they were dead, but then it warmed up again and they were moving around as usual…they were a sort of reddish brown color and they were definitely starving to death on that roof and someone had to save them…

When our officer got there he went up a series of ladders with the business owner and saw:

1) The flat roof covered with a couple of inches of water.

2) A basketball and a football floating on the water---when the wind blew they moved around the roof.

3) When it got very cold and the water froze, the balls would be would be frozen in place, but when it warmed up and the ice melted, they’d move freely again.

What I find interesting is not just the initial mis-identification, but the fact that this then led to all kinds of elaborations and descriptions of behavior (they went dormant in cold weather, but could revive and act "normal" once it warmed up again), relationships (a devoted mother and her young), and species ID (although they kept their faces hidden they were most likely possums)...There just seems to be something in the human brain that wants to make sense out of unknown sightings, and then elaborate on them and give them a "back story" as well....it's pretty interesting really...

PLEASE understand I'm not saying this is the case with all of the BF sightings out there, but I am saying it might explain an awful lot of them---this woman was not deluded, hallucinating, or lying...

Guest bsruther

...There just seems to be something in the human brain that wants to make sense out of unknown sightings, and then elaborate on them and give them a "back story" as well....it's pretty interesting really...

It's downright fascinating. Luckily, not everyone perceives things in that manner. Logic and reason are powerful tools.

Guest shelley7950

Okay, it's pretty funny too....

Every Fall we get calls about dogs slaughtered, skinned and tortured in Satanic Rituals which turn out to be some hunter's deer carcass hung at the side of the house....we get calls on dead dogs that turn out to be rolls of old carpeting and horses tethered so short they can't move a muscle that are actually "lawn art" statues....people's ability to misinterpret what they see is endless....again, obviously not the case every time, but not uncommon either...

This seems like a good place to share this story----I work in the Humane Investigations department of our local Humane Society and take the animal cruelty complaints that come in....the following is not a highly unusual call for us:

Yesterday I spoke to a woman who said she and her husband had spent the last 2 weeks watching two “wild animals†of some sort trapped on the porch roof of the business across the street…she speculated that it was a mama and a baby---the baby had fallen off a higher portion of the roof, the mama jumped down to save it, and they were both trapped….she wasn’t sure what they were, exactly, because they always kept their faces hidden, but she thought most likely they were possums because when it got real cold they stopped moving and she thought they were dead, but then it warmed up again and they were moving around as usual…they were a sort of reddish brown color and they were definitely starving to death on that roof and someone had to save them…

When our officer got there he went up a series of ladders with the business owner and saw:

1) The flat roof covered with a couple of inches of water.

2) A basketball and a football floating on the water---when the wind blew they moved around the roof.

3) When it got very cold and the water froze, the balls would be would be frozen in place, but when it warmed up and the ice melted, they’d move freely again.

What I find interesting is not just the initial mis-identification, but the fact that this then led to all kinds of elaborations and descriptions of behavior (they went dormant in cold weather, but could revive and act "normal" once it warmed up again), relationships (a devoted mother and her young), and species ID (although they kept their faces hidden they were most likely possums)...There just seems to be something in the human brain that wants to make sense out of unknown sightings, and then elaborate on them and give them a "back story" as well....it's pretty interesting really...

PLEASE understand I'm not saying this is the case with all of the BF sightings out there, but I am saying it might explain an awful lot of them---this woman was not deluded, hallucinating, or lying...

This so funny. I've been chuckling about it for a while now. Just going on the small amount of visual data she had it would have been very hard to figure out it was a basketball and a football. no wonder she decided they were animals. that's just much easier to come up and reasonable too.

Guest uprightchimp

well Ups, I did read a report some years ago about a bigfoot carrying a live pig from some guy's farm and there WAS a comparison made of a large human QUARTERBACK that would carry a FOOTBALL in the very same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so go figure!!!!!!!!!! :blink: