Thoughts As To Why Bigfoot Isn't Caught On Game Cams

Spader

I have talked with a researcher who has tried trail cams on several occasions and shy's away from them now, he claims the presence of the cams actually caused a noticeable decrease in activity in his area.If he baited an area, the bait was often taken,apples,things like that,but when he would cam the bait,then it would be ignored. Smell, sound,maybe all of the above. Plastics and electronics do smell,and we are so use to them,maybe they smell more than we think?

A trail cam is a form of trap. They don't need to understand that it takes photographs, they just need to understand the concept of a trap, that the camera may function as a trap of some sort, and has an apparent orientation. Traps and bait often appear in combination.

1. They refuse to sign the talent release form.

2. Most trail cams are placed on game trails. An interesting observation by a wildlife photographer who had an Orang Pendek sighthing - He positited the theory that intelligent primates would learn to avoid game trails because of possible run ins with other predators and humans hunting. Doesn't explain why they can't be caught on trail cams put out in non-game trail areas, but it might explain why we don't have thousands of pictures of BF trekking through the woods.

I'm going to listen to some folks that have had ongoing experiences around their properties with the creatures... what do I have to lose ?

What have they suggested ? Leave the cameras home. I don't know why... exactly, the trail cams are avoided. Could be the flash or even the IR, at night. I've read where creatures covered their faces and ran away screaming, when a bright light (in one case, a flash) was put on them.., so it appears they don't like that much, and possibly associate that to cameras hung on trees. I don't think you are going to surprise them in their environment, anyways. They, are going to surprise you. For some reason, they don't seem to avoid audio recorders, like cameras. Again, i'm not sure why.

As far as my future personal investigations go... no more cameras. I'm not looking anymore, to prove these things are out there... to anyone, other than myself. Would I rather learn something and maybe get closer to the subjects I'm interested in, or argue about a blurry inconclusive photo on an internet forum... that will never prove a thing, anyhow ? That's an easy question, for me.

The easy answer is that they dont exist. But then you dont get pranksters either (people in costumes, it would be an easy prank!), so then we are at the beginning again. What are the people seeing? The only thing we get that might be in some way responsible for BF sightings are bears. As bears dont leave BF footprints heres a problem to.

Guest WIKayaker

It think they are just not in the right place.

One conundrum is that they have been observed close to human “stuffâ€, houses, sheds, vehicles, tents, dumpsters, etc. They apparently don’t avoid everything that is not naturally occurring.

Don Young’s WI ‘Big Phil’ photo was taken with the camera clamped to a camper I think.

Not camouflaged at all, and in his own yard. http://www.bfro.net/news/roundup/wi_06_notes_big_phil_images.asp

(At first, his Phil photo might look fake, but once compared to the follow-up photo of his wife for comparison, it becomes convincing. Otherwise his wife’s photo looks fake!) Plus the extensive supportive background info.

A camera might be better placed disguised as something else that is interesting, and not natural. NOT trying to trick them just with bark and leaves.

As others have suggested, in a ball, or cooler, or teddy bear may have a better chance. Their guard may be down. Maybe part of an innocuous trail sign. (like a no trespassing sign for example).

How many cameras have been set-up VERY high, like 20ft up facing down. Harder to set-up but less detectable. More like a security camera than game cam.

Edited by WIKayaker

Maybe they stay off the trails...after all they are thought by many to be ambush hunters so why be on the game trails that their prey use which would alert their quarry, also with their great size and bipedal ability to leap over the rough landscape why would they be on the trails particularly if they knew that the others (modern humans) had been on them?

I think this is a very valid point. Does anyone know if other predators follow game trails or if they lie in wait in the bushes?

The game trail question doesn't have a simple yes/no answer. Do they use game trails ? Yes of course they do, but not when setting up an ambush, or stalking prey. There aren't many simple answers in this game.

Two fellow WASRT researchers and I set out a Plotwatcher camera. It is a time lapse camera that does not use a trigger device, but simply snaps a picture every few seconds depending on the setting one selects. The first time we deployed it, we got a photo of a blobsquatch. The photo wasn't good enough to post or brag about, but the disconcerting thing to me was the blobsquatch was looking directly at the camera (hidden in the end of a hollow log)from a distance of about 30 yards. Dozens of elk wandered by the camera grazing without investigating the log, but the one frame with a blobsquatch in it and it has the camera "made"! I think they can sense the EMF coming from electronic devices, and know their turf well enough to discern differences in EMF in their realm.

Admin

I have often wondered as to why more Bigfoot are not caught on game cams.

Maybe they have been and the owners just choose not to release them for public viewing.

Guest HucksterFoot

I think this is a very valid point. Does anyone know if other predators follow game trails or if they lie in wait in the bushes?

This is why many bear hunters set up tree stands by well used game trails.