99% Sure Skeptics Don't Exist

I just put my fingers in my ears and go NAH NAH NANANANANAH real loud when the skeptics talk nowadays.

What a wonderful example of openmindedness! And plussed by 5 others! All six of you must be so proud. I think I'll direct my children to this thread, and specifically this statement, and tell them the following:

"Once you have made up your mind about something, you must never change it. You will be correct because you refuse to waver in your opinion. Never entertain any challenges to your position, and you will never be wrong. Do not consider anyone else's opinion because once you have made up your mind, you will be the ultimate authority. No one has ever fervently believed something and then been shown to have been wrong, so why should you be the first? Many people will agree with you, and there's no way so many of you could be wrong. Lastly, whatever you do, make sure you trust your own instincts over what any pointy-headed scientist might say about something. All scientists do is sit around and criticize other people; they never do any actual work and they're not particularly bright. They also have no idea how the real world works because they never go outside. So stick to your guns (literally, if you can!) and enjoy the superiority that comes from convincing yourself of your own truthiness."

Meantime, why do "knowers" come here to discuss bigfoot if they already know it exists? I bet they're closet skeptics . . .

What a wonderful example of openmindedness! And plussed by 5 others! All six of you must be so proud. I think I'll direct my children to this thread, and specifically this statement, and tell them the following:

"Once you have made up your mind about something, you must never change it. You will be correct because you refuse to waver in your opinion. Never entertain any challenges to your position, and you will never be wrong. Do not consider anyone else's opinion because once you have made up your mind, you will be the ultimate authority. No one has ever fervently believed something and then been shown to have been wrong, so why should you be the first? Many people will agree with you, and there's no way so many of you could be wrong. Lastly, whatever you do, make sure you trust your own instincts over what any pointy-headed scientist might say about something. All scientists do is sit around and criticize other people; they never do any actual work and they're not particularly bright. They also have no idea how the real world works because they never go outside. So stick to your guns (literally, if you can!) and enjoy the superiority that comes from convincing yourself of your own truthiness."

Meantime, why do "knowers" come here to discuss bigfoot if they already know it exists? I bet they're closet skeptics . . .

I'd plus this but I'm all out of plusses. :( I should be allowed to plus more than just once a day.

I'm quite open to the possibility of bigfoot but I do require evidence of a certain quality. Bigfoot doesn't really require spectacular evidence for me though. If the Ketchum paper says bigfoot is real then I'll be plenty pleased with that. I don't really need or want a body although science probably will require one eventually. If the Ketchum paper says bigfoot is human I might disagree but I'll just have to see what happens.

I come here because I love the idea of bigfoot but I don't want to be taken for a ride like happened in Georgia with the frozen costume. None of us should want that.

It's my opinion that it's not about who's right or wrong in a debate, but the journey and what we can learn from each other along the way.

Merry Christmas!

I came here to exchange ideas and information with others, and to compare what has been experienced in the field. Knowing something is out there and exists, is quite different from really knowing any hard facts about what one has experienced.

Being skeptical of one's self, and all that is presented in this topic of interest, is healthy. From there, each individual can decide for themselves.

Awwwww that's hardly fair. When folks get onto a thread, choose not to address the premise of the thread, then choose to only rebutt arguments that are irrelevant to the op it's not really the believers fault is it? It takes a lot to convince anyone to think there is even a remote possibility of a huge hairy bipedal ''something'' running around on this continent. People don't just wake up one day saying to themselves...Hey!! INSTEAD of taking up any socially approved cause like a cure for cancer or helping the Red Cross...I'M GONA BELIEVE IN BIGFOOT!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

>The CFZ (including the BFF) has no official stance on any single aspect of the Bigfoot debate. The CFZ does not 'believe' that Bigfoot exists, or 'believe' that it does not exist, but that the evidence makes it worthy of discussion and further investigation. The members and Moderators may take a different view. That is entirely up to the individuals concerned. That being said, and while it is very difficult to pin any one opinion on a site with members as diverse as ours, there are some generalizations that can be made regarding the feeling of the board (assuming Bigfoot exists):

Without different opinions there would be no discussion, no web-traffic and no reason for the CFZ to provide us this luxury of a forum. ;)

Some of the skeptics here have indicated they have scientific backrounds so instead of explaining to lay-people why they are interpreting data wrong and helping them to interpret published abstracts so they can be more informed, it's common for people to lord their ignorance over them and label them as ''believers''. Last time I checked that behavior isn't covered in the definition of a skeptic. I think that's why people in general fall back on the US versus THEM song and dance. Real education is more work than just a polite version of namecalling. I was always of the opinion not educating someone if you could that is, is it's own special kind of rudeness.

Of course not everyone wants to be more informed but some do I think.

I came here to exchange ideas and information with others, and to compare what has been experienced in the field. Knowing something is out there and exists, is quite different from really knowing any hard facts about what one has experienced.

Exactly. Which is why people *into* model airplanes join model airplane forums; people into cat or dogs join forums ABOUT those topics. Whether you call this a full-time hobby or not, some people take the topic highly seriously, so all the tears over skeptics being demeaned for not hopping on the believer bandwagon just leaves me with the proverbial, "So what? People who openly share their experiences or beliefs are crapped on daily." If not here openly, certainly other places where the overt name calling and out-right labling of 'liars', 'hoaxers', and 'fools' goes on constantly with little restraint. I actually find some of those people/places amusing because of their over the top rhetoric and ignorance about what people have REALLY experienced out in the field.

THEY will never experience any of that sitting behind a computer monitor.... unless they take a laptop out there with them. ;)

I came here to exchange ideas and information with others, and to compare what has been experienced in the field.

Right, and that's why I come here too. So why do we keep seeing threads asking why the skeptics are here?

When folks get onto a thread, choose not to address the premise of the thread, then choose to only rebutt arguments that are irrelevant to the op it's not really the believers fault is it?

I agree. Wait - are you insinuating that this is what skeptics do?

Without different opinions there would be no discussion, no web-traffic and no reason for the CFZ to provide us this luxury of a forum. ;)

Exactly. So why does the forum tolerate these threads at all? Isn't questioning why someone is here or (at least in a backhanded way) suggesting that they leave both against forum rules and the antithesis of what the forum is all about?

Some of the skeptics here have indicated they have scientific backrounds so instead of explaining to lay-people why they are interpreting data wrong and helping them to interpret published abstracts so they can be more informed,

Um . . . this is what I've been doing here almost daily and for YEARS. So why must I be continually rewarded for my efforts with people questioning why I'm here at all? It's distasteful, demeaning, ignorant, trite (because there have already been so many of these threads), and tolerated. (It's, in fact, celebrated by some folks here.)

THEY will never experience any of that sitting behind a computer monitor....

. . . And there it is, right on time: another insinuation that we skeptics don't know anything about the great outdoors.

And when BF is finally proven or disproven, it will ruin such fun debates. Why does the most hardened skeptic really care what the most convinced BF believer thinks and why do they post here so often?

There would always be debate for Nessy, Aliens ect to take it's place. As for me I don't have a problem with skeptics or believers as long as they're not hostile since everyone loses when things turn ugly and personal.

. . . And there it is, right on time: another insinuation that we skeptics don't know anything about the great outdoors.

Way to mis-represent. I NEVER SAID YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE GREAT OUTDOORS.

That was completely a statement about experiencing bigfoot/sasquatch... in an environment and location where they actually reside. Not a thing MORE or less.

THIS is a classic example of why people who come to a forum dedicated to the discussion of a specific subject like this, get tired of faux intellectual skepticism parading as a desire to honestly discusss a subject. It can't be done.

Edited by GuyInIndiana
  • Upvote 2

Whoa! iTs a parody of 99% sure bigfoot doesn't exist. It's supposed to be sort of ironic, funny, just a reflection of the other side of the coin. Wow. And kind of a statement about the prevalence of grinchyness.

Edited by Kings Canyon

THIS is a classic example of why people who come to a forum dedicated to the discussion of a specific subject like this, get tired of faux intellectual skepticism parading as a desire to honestly discusss a subject. It can't be done.

Oh puhleese. How else am I supposed to take these "if only they'd step away from the computer" kind of comments? It's insulting. What's wrong with simply acknowledging that people like me and the other skeptics who frequent the BFF actually DO know what we are talking about and actually DO spend a heck of a lot of time outdoors but are simply unconvinced by anecdotal accounts?

Guest FuriousGeorge

Even though I'm sure the last few questions were rhetorical, I apologize if anyone wanted to answer because this thread is now locked.

I realize that Festivus is today and we're supposed to have the "Airing of Grievances", but these types of threads only serve the purpose of ripping each other apart. Let's move on in a positive direction. This one is done. Time to use my new holiday forum Clapper - Clap Clap (locked)