Bfro Expeditions

WV FOOTER

Patty I'm a no kill Texan as well. So far as common sense goes you're going to find it in Texas more than anywhere else in my o pine neon and I'm not the only one who feels that way. ;)

All depends on your interest in the subject. $300 isn't much to someone who has a huge interest in learning about it. You'll pay far more to go camping with professional mountain guides in Washington State.

Would you consider $1300 expensive to go camping and hiking up a mountain ? Because that is what you'll pay a professional guide to do it on Mt Rainier.

Edited by Biggie
-removed needless quote from previous user.

Guest wudewasa

Yup, and you can pay hundreds of dollars to bring your own food, camp supplies, transportation and most importantly, sign a NDA.

There are some great people who are part of the BFRO, but the expeditions reek of applejohnery.

Guest grinder

For your 1300 bucks at least you'll get a professionally trained and certified guide with well estasblished techniques. You will also receive good experiance to climb other mountains and add a sense of accomplishment once you climb to the top of the mountain and get some cool pictures to add to the bragging rights!

Edited by grinder

Yup, and you can pay hundreds of dollars to bring your own food, camp supplies, transportation and most importantly, sign a NDA.

There are some great people who are part of the BFRO, but the expeditions reek of applejohnery.

I've read your posts for years (and enjoy them)I realize you might have a beef with the BFRO, but after reading many personal experiences from other folks from BFF1 and on here, it seems your analysis of a cult mentality carrys some weight.

Are people that pay thousands of dollars to return to Mount Everest time and time again part of a cult ?

How about people who pay a monthly fee to go to a gym ? Are they part of a cult ?

Monthly car payment ? Yup your part of a cult.

Just because people have an interest in something doesn't make it a cult. Why people spend so much time hating something that doesn't affect them is beyond me. Then again, hatred is always a reflection of something we feel about ourselves, not about the thing that is hated.

Guest wudewasa

OK, time to name drop.

Bart Cutino and Stan Courtney are both BFRO members. I have a lot of respect for each of them, and while we don't agree on some things, I respect their objectivity and willingness to think critically about things, as well as accept constructive criticism. There are probably a number of BFRO members who fall in this category as well.

As far as many organizations, there are elements in each one that one can be attributed to a cult, some more than others.

The sociological/psychological aspects of a cult are interesting to explore.

From Michael Shermer- http://www.2think.org/02_2_she.shtml

"But if you leave the "religious" component out of the definition, thus broadening the word's usage, it becomes clear that Objectivism was (and is) a cult, as are many other, non-religious groups. In this context, then, a cult may be characterized by:

• Veneration of the Leader: Excessive glorification to the point of virtual sainthood or divinity.
  • Inerrancy of the Leader: Belief that he or she cannot be wrong.
  • Omniscience of the Leader: Acceptance of beliefs and pronouncements on virtually all subjects, from the philosophical to the trivial.
  • Persuasive Techniques: Methods used to recruit new followers and reinforce current beliefs.
  • Hidden Agendas: Potential recruits and the public are not given a full disclosure of the true nature of the group's beliefs and plans.
  • Deceit: Recruits and followers are not told everything about the leader and the group's inner circle, particularly flaws or potentially embarrassing events or circumstances.
  • Financial and/or Sexual Exploitation: Recruits and followers are persuaded to invest in the group, and the leader may develop sexual relations with one or more of the followers.
  • Absolute Truth: Belief that the leader and/or group has a method of discovering final knowledge on any number of subjects.
  • Absolute Morality: Belief that the leader and/or the group have developed a system of right and wrong thought and action applicable to members and nonmembers alike. Those who strictly follow the moral code may become and remain members, those who do not are dismissed or punished."

Guest wudewasa

Squatchaholic,

An organization is only as good as the people in charge of it. Members can be amazing people, but are ultimately exploited by the leaders. It's the history of tribes, collectives and nation states. My beef is not with most members of the group, but with its "leader," who is showing his true colors to the world via television programming.

MMteamplayer.jpg

------edited to clarify that the MM quote in the image came from the GA Finding Bigfoot episode where he chased after a figure alone. After being questioned about his actions by other team members, he had a meltdown and uttered the above verbage. Real leadership- NOT!

Edited by wudewasa

Sandman please don't quote the users immediately above your posts, and read my signature plus the link in it for reference. You can reply to users immediately above you by name or partial name IE "wude". Capitalization and punctuation with your sentences in the future would be better also. Thanks.

Guest grinder

I would hazzard to guess that people who have paid a organization in hopes to see a bigfoot have not. People have been seeing a bigfoot without having to pay for it for years. I suggest take that money and by some camping supplies a map and spend a week rambling old mountain fire roads quietly. Dont need someone to hold your hand to see a bigfoot...forgo the hype..