Question

Guest midnightwalker1

Admin

Man that's just not right in my book. ) You left out call the ambulance so they can bag your appendages in ice and try to sew them back together...after the sas get ahold of you. As I am sure you know, they are the ultimate forces of the forest and can pop your head like a cola. But I do appreciate your honesty. All good Masterbarber.

Actually, when properly armed, I'm the ultimate force of the forest. Unless you mean to tell me that a Sas will hide from cameras, dodge cars...... but chase a man carrying a rifle? Seems to me we should have bagged one by now, if that's the case. ;)

I don't care how big it is, a good grouping with 30-06 rounds is going to make for an unhappy animal

Enough said right there. Richard Proenneke thought well enough to make it his only rifle for his solo life in the Alaskan wilderness and used it to convince a Brown to leave him alone. I'd say that makes an effective critter stopper.

I think you need to study up on your owl calls if you are referring to my owl recording. The "who, who, who" is not a barred owl call. It is a great horned owl call.

Egads! Thanks - and sorry Sasfooty - you're right. My apologies to all reading the thread: those are, of course, Great Horned Owl vocalizations on the recording, not Barred. I don't know why I typed Barred, just one of those brain things, I suppose. No wonder MW thinks I'm a rank amateur who never goes outside!

OK, so now I've listened to both recordings from Sasfooty, and both feature normal vocalizations of Great Horned Owls. These birds - just about all birds - exhibit a wide variety of calls that vary by age, sex, season, degree of agitation, geographic location, etc. Before claiming that owl calls are made by bigfoots, folks would do well to learn a bit about this stuff. This site is an excellent resource.

Do you wear your academic credentials openly? Maybe they don't want to be verbally insulted, so they hide from you. :lol:

You might do well to seek out the first insult in this thread. Apparently, bigfoots are attracted to folks who distribute them rather frequently.

I've just never heard of it. I didn't think birds worked together like that.

Really, Woodslore? I didn't about Richard Proenneke. Though if you are in Grizzly country you better be packing better than a .22 so not a bad choice, lol.

Edited by Colossus

Apparently, bigfoots are attracted to folks who distribute them rather frequently.

No doubt. That must be the reason why you and I don't see them.

Yeah Colossus.

In the book about him it talks about him shoots a 30-06 out of his window at a Brown that was to close to his cabin for comfort.

I didn't about Richard Proenneke. Though if you are in Grizzly country you better be packing better than a .22 so not a bad choice, lol.

The 30-06 was so popular in 1960's-1970's Alaska because there was still billions of rounds of surplus ammo available, and the newer Winchester family (458 WinMag, 338 WinMag, 300 WinMag, 243, etc) were still quite new and expensive, not to mention ammo availability was sparce, especially in a land with no stores. Proenneke originally homesteaded on Twin Lakes in 1968, which was close to his last opportunity to do so before ANCSA and the federal environmental movement closed off population expansion forever. In those days, almost everybody used an '06.

Guest midnightwalker1

Egads! Thanks - and sorry Sasfooty - you're right. My apologies to all reading the thread: those are, of course, Great Horned Owl vocalizations on the recording, not Barred. I don't know why I typed Barred, just one of those brain things, I suppose. No wonder MW thinks I'm a rank amateur who never goes outside!

Classic. Maybe I should use 1 of your check marks avoid the question

. Again I ask where are your owl recordings and photos. And even have the balls to say that you miss typed your answer. Sorry I don't buy that einstein

Classic. Maybe I should use 1 of your check marks avoid the question

. Again I ask where are your owl recordings and photos. And even have the balls to say that you miss typed your answer. Sorry I don't buy that einstein

How very classy to continue with the insults in response to an honest mistake and an apology I delivered to Sasfooty and the thread.

Guest midnightwalker1

How very classy to continue with the insults in response to an honest mistake and an apology I delivered to Sasfooty and the thread.

No apology just an excuse. I ask for your qualifications you have given none

Guest TooRisky

The 30-06 was so popular in 1960's-1970's Alaska because there was still billions of rounds of surplus ammo available, and the newer Winchester family (458 WinMag, 338 WinMag, 300 WinMag, 243, etc) were still quite new and expensive, not to mention ammo availability was sparce, especially in a land with no stores. Proenneke originally homesteaded on Twin Lakes in 1968, which was close to his last opportunity to do so before ANCSA and the federal environmental movement closed off population expansion forever. In those days, almost everybody used an '06.

I have to agree on the logic and history of an 30-06 as the weapon of choice in say a home stead type of situation. I do believe it is a bit big for deer and depending on the location a 30-30 would also be a great all around caliber to have where say the prime thing you would hunt is Mule/White Tail/Black Tail deer. I have a .303 British I use in the field which is a bit much for the deer, but is perfect for Bear and Elk and for me here in Washington state it seems to be the perfect gun.

I would have to say my next choice as a mid-range gun is a .223 which seems to fit the bill from deer down to say rabbit and possibly squirrel with a head shot.

And of course my trusty .22LR would have to be in there for all small game and fowl.

I would swap out my mid range weapon for a pump 12 gauge that chambers a high base 3" mag. round with a mid range barrel.

All would be readily available except for the .303 British, which I would actually love to bring in a 30-06 to fit that bill. My side arm would be my .44 mag in a S&W model 29, though I had the extreme pleasure of shooting a .454 Casull and must say I love it in a 6-7 inch barrel and of course I will always take these in a revolver.

Man that is a lot of hard ware, but ya gotta have the right tool for the job at hand...Just my 2 cents, love these conversations about going deep to home stead and the what if type sceneros... Always be prepared and have a plan...

TooRisky, stop by the Sidearms thread in the CampFire Chat section. Sounds like your opinion could be needed. I was just talking about the .454 Casull.

No apology just an excuse. I ask for your qualifications you have given none

You'll find an apology to the entire thread in post #33. I could not be more honest or more sincere in that apology. I made a mistake. You have demonstrated truly objectionable behavior in ridiculing that apology.

Qualifications for what, knowing my owl calls? I learned them when I was a boy, a long time ago, long before I earned my PhD in ecology and later earned tenure as a wildlife ecologist at a research university in the eastern U.S. I am sorry that I am not comfortable providing anything more specific than that, and demanding it of me is harassment. Having proof of bigfoot is not something that requires "qualifications," it requires proof and just about anyone could supply it. Even a greenhorn city slicker could get lucky with a video camera or unlucky with a roadkill and be the person who ultimately reveals "bigfoot" for the entire world.

You claimed that you had a bigfoot making owl calls last night. That's an astounding claim. Your evidence is that in the past you've seen one peeking around a tree while hearing that call? Recordings - especially recordings of owl calls - are not proof of bigfoot. Now if you had some video of a bigfoot making an owl call, you might be on to something.

• masterbarber locked this topic