Woodknocks

Guest Cervelo

"Trees popping coming back from winter" ain't cutting it, as those of us well acquainted with wood and woodland know.

There is no sound that wood, or anything employing or working on or with it, can make like the sound of resonant wood smacking resonant wood, hard and deliberately...a sound only producible by something with hands.

On the one hand I would disagree about bamboo and helicopters.  On the other, not according to the experience of Green Berets in Vietnam; Tobago; or in my grandpa's fish shop in Memquadiddle.  Then there are alternative theses regarding Colt .45s, cold ones and the inability to distinguish.

Otherwise I agree with you, and appreciate your nuanced and varied commentary as usual.

In other words:  when lacking ammunition to disagree with a cogent and correct assertion, throwing up hands in the surrender gesture is appreciated.

Edited by DWA

My experience is simply that where they know you, you might get a knock when you first enter the area, or a response.

I have only gotten a knock as a response to a whistle, never to one of my own knocks.  Of course I live in an area where

they are extremely skittish to say the least.

BFF Patron

I heard a crack in the field yesterday when I entered an area.   Most likely a natural tree break because I go no other indicators of activity.   New area for me so it was not recognition.     In my normal area sometimes I get a response to slamming my truck door.    It needed grease so maybe they knew it was me.    The dealer finally greased the door hinge when I had it serviced.   Not sure that was a good thing if they knew I was there because of my creaky door. 

Their hand claps would be quite loud.    I know their chest thumps are.    Another thing I have heard mentioned is mouth pops but never experienced that myself.   You have to figure that without gadgets and transient humans to entertain them,  they probably spend a lot of time making creative noises.