Woodknocks

Guest Cervelo

Guest TooRisky

I'm new to the world of Bigfoot fourms. I noticed a thread got started on BFRO about comparing woodknocks to gunfire and it got shut down pretty quick. What's that all about it doesn't seem very "scientific" to not rule out the know sound sources first. What I've listen to so far reminds very much of gunfire from a distance when I hunted in my youth. I've never heard a woodknock (or maybe I have) has this ground already been covered?

Thx

This is just my opinion from my experience in the field, with guns, and the military...

Every bullet is different in sound at distance but the one thing that is different from a wood knock is the crack of a bullet and the louder but duller whack of wood on wood... Now this may differ with the differing softer and harder woods of the area locally and regionally on a national level. Here in Washington we tend to have the soft to medium types of trees so the sound may differ from say Minnesota or Texas.

So a definite crack of the bullet and the whack of a woodknock is the difference to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Cervelo-

The thread on the BFRO forum being shut down probably has little to do with the topic of woodknocking, and more with the fact that on that forum, gun talk of any type is against the rules.

I think I might have heard wood knocking for the first time on Monday (well first time with me directly in the woods and knocking back). Though not sure if it was BF or Human. I was sitting calling squirrels when I hurt what sounded like a dry log hitting a good size tree. The guy with me asked what was that and I picked up a stick and told him sounded like someone going *knock* *knock*, as I banged on the tree. About 3 minutes later had more wood knocking and I tried again. went on for maybe 7-10 minutes. I had fired a .17 HMR earlier that day and heard a few other gun shots in the area. I can tell you this did not sound like a gun shot.

Edited because I forgot something

Edited by Woodslore

Guest midnightwalker1

I have heard knocks close range within 40 to 50 feet. They were not guns. Shortly there after I had typical sasquatch activity.

This stuff is basic

Guest Lesmore

One sound I have heard in the different forests that I frequent...boreal, riverine, Canadian Shield are loud knocks. In some cases I have been able to trace them to the sound that the Pileated Woodpecker (largest woodpecker in North America, save the thought to be extinct Ivory Billed Woodpecker)makes as it pounds away on trees. This sound is very loud and can 'boom' through the forests for some distance.

Pileateds aren't too common, generally live in older growth forests and if you haven't heard this noise before it can be quite startling.

I have also found that there are other loud sounds, made sometimes by other birds, that are quite loud and not common.

I'm not saying that birds are always responsible for making loud wood 'knock' sounds. I am saying though that if one cannot trace an unusual / unfamiliar sound, to it's source, then identifying the sound, would be at best, a guess.

As a general comment, this can sometimes can be a tendency among some individuals. if they hear a sound that they cannot identify.. ....then to assume it maybe a noise emanating from a Bigfoot, or from a Bigfoot's activity.

A self fulfilling prophecy as it were.

Again....not all individuals, but in some cases.

IMO, it is important to confirm exactly what the sound is, by tracing it to it's source. Certainly, not always an easy task, but a necessary task if one is to confirm exactly, the source of the noise / sound.

Edited by Lesmore

Guest midnightwalker1

N/M

Very valid question. Think about it. Telapathy Requires focus. If it did not You would have a chaos of numerous voices going off in your head. Good question though. Thus the reason they communicate both verbally And with knox or animal sounds.

Very valid question. Think about it. Telapathy Requires focus. If it did not You would have a chaos of numerous voices going off in your head. Good question though. Thus the reason they communicate both verbally And with knox or animal sounds.

i knew you were going to say that. What card am I holding up?

Guest tracker

Hey has anyone else ever considered there's another researcher in the woods returning the wood knocks? Sure in alot of cases there's just no way a person could be out there. But in others there may be many researchers in that area because of a recent report. And those wood knock sounds carry very far at night. So unless you hear a scream or something more distinct or the sound gets closer it could be another crew from a different BF club returning your woodknocks? couldn't it? :o

What do you guys do to tell if its another human or not? I mix up the pattern but they may also scare away a sasq also. What can be done?

The thought of other researchers out there are ever present. One can pick odd times of the the week to go out looking, take the only road into certain areas to rule out access from another directions, don't decide on any particular spot to sit and listen until the last minute, and don't be the first one to knock. ;)

Hey has anyone else ever considered there's another researcher in the woods returning the wood knocks? Sure in alot of cases there's just no way a person could be out there. But in others there may be many researchers in that area because of a recent report. And those wood knock sounds carry very far at night. So unless you hear a scream or something more distinct or the sound gets closer it could be another crew from a different BF club returning your woodknocks? couldn't it?

I asked the same question earlier man. It has crossed my mind more than once. I mean it is a possibility to be sure and one that I think gets over looked too often.

Hey I once called in a strange looking two-legged moose,that was just as shocked as I was when we finally saw each other.

And I thought it was some of my best calling.

So yes I think it could happen particularly if it happened after a publicized bf report in the area

Hey thanks couldn't get it to load somthing about server not configured properly

you may want to use winamp

pretty simple to use, I have had less problems with that then media player

• 3 years later...
BFF Patron

Look at recent BFRO report 44191.     This report confirms an observation I made in Washington State in 2012.    The significance of this is that unless it is purely by chance,   BF seemed to use the same series of knocks to warn other BF present of the presence of humans.        Noteworthy is that these locations,  Michigan and Washington State are widely separated geographically but the BF seemed to use the same warning signal in each case.       In the Michigan observation the BF made a series of three knocks each time the human entered the woods to go to his tree stand.    I my case the BF made 4 rapid knocks when it nearly ran over me while moving through the woods.      In Michigan the other BF was in the area but they were not near each other.    In my case they had been moving through the woods together whooping back and forth when the nearest BF nearly ran over me.      The BF in Michigan responded with a single knock to the multiple knocks.  In my case the other BF did not respond with knocks but would have known the location of the BF making the warning since they were traveling together separated by a creek but out of each others sight and whooping to maintain positional awareness. 

For those that make are making knocks as part of your field work, I would say that any more than two is a warning that humans are in the area.     This is of course conjecture but it confirms what I experienced.      The most significant part is that the BF involved are using the same warning signal in two widely separated regions of the country.    This implies a wide spread culture, some level of communication in individual tribes,  and possibly communication between tribal groups.   Otherwise the warning knocks would not be the same in such wide spread geographical separated locations.   This culture could have originated from ancestral teachings and spread or could be the result of communication between groups over time.  

Stuff like this needs to be documented and if repeated in other areas then we can conclude that BF has some sort of common culture that spreads possibly throughout the country.      This culture could ancestral, be related to previous contact with other groups with some sharing of information or techniques,  or current contact occasionally where information is shared.    Either option is pretty exciting to me because it implies a fairly advanced culture.  

If someone else has encountered multiple knocks that you felt were a warning that you were present, I would like to know the circumstances.     Maybe we can start to pin down some BF behavior.      Randy    

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

SSR Team

Some serious blasts from the past on this page..