On The Hunt For Sasquatch With Tracker.

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

Okay so here we are in the field, hmmm. I didn't think I would ever start a thread like this in a open forum. Well that is until my wife convinced me otherwise. She said it wasn't fare to just talk about some of the the things I do or have done without showing some pics to go with my posts. She's not into forum life or the subject at hand and so perhaps she doesn't realize the risks?

I'll give it a try and hopefully others will join in to keep the thread current and fresh by posting pics of their adventures with related explanations. I may need some help from the mods with posting pics or other tech help. dry.gif

This weekend I was in the north east of Tichborn NE Ontario, Can.

Here's a link with some of the history area that will bring you up to speed and a few pics of my own of this weekends adventure. Oh yea, my digital camera crapped out on me in the cold, but i managed to get off some shots after keeping it inside my jacket.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com

After speaking with an solo Ice fisherman who felt he was being watch from this bluff I went in for a look.

15g3534.jpg

I always glass the area and my route first before heading out. Use cover on your approach and be as quiet as you can.

2m3lgyo.jpg

My wife standing on the bluff, below 10 meters and 20 meters to the right is an overhang with some branches arranged in front as a possible windblock of a den. I will be keeping an eye on the area so for the mean time I didn't want to disturb it by getting too close. I want pics of the owner not pics of the den. So I will get back to you on this one.

accyzs.jpg

Here's a pic of fisherman preparing to relocate today(scared) when my wife and I were there. It may be kinda small but I had almost no bat left to use the zoom on his yellow fish hut. middle left.

2uyotj5.jpg

Days end pic after we circled the perimeter of the lake back to where we parked looking for prints in minus 10 degree plus the wind. You can see a pic table in the back ground that is use by the fisherman to clean catch away from his hut. smart. We had fresh snow so if something was there the new snow may of covered all its tracks. Anyways trackers on it, so if it makes another appearence hoping to mooch some free fish from an ice hut Hopefully i'll get some better pics for you guys. thats if my cam doesn't act up again in the cold.

2u70pom.jpg

I can't give out exact locations or names but I thought some of the members may be interested in seeing what old trackers been up to. For some of the more experienced in the field members they may think its kinda lame to just show some pics of my adventures without showing a BF on a hill side or something? O well we can't please them all and the Bf's don't wait around for a photo shoot. tracker dry.gif

Edited by tracker

Guest tracker

Okay so here we are in the field, hmmm. I didn't think I would ever start a thread like this in a open forum. Well that is until my wife convinced me otherwise. She said it wasn't fare to just talk about some of the the things I do or have done without showing some pics to go with my posts. She's not into forum life or the subject at hand and so perhaps she doesn't realize the risks?

I'll give it a try and hopefully others will join in to keep the thread current and fresh by posting pics of their adventures with related explanations. I may need some help from the mods with posting pics or other tech help. dry.gif

This weekend I was in the north east of Tichborn NE Ontario, Can.

Here's a link with some of the history area that will bring you up to speed and a few pics of my own of this weekends adventure. Oh yea, my digital camera crapped out on me in the cold, but i managed to get off some shots after keeping it inside my jacket.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com

After speaking with an solo Ice fisherman who felt he was being watch from this bluff I went in for a look.

15g3534.jpg

I always glass the area and my route first before heading out. Use cover on your approach and be as quiet as you can.

2m3lgyo.jpg

My wife standing on the bluff, below 10 meters and 20 meters to the right is an overhang with some branches arranged in front as a possible windblock of a den. I will be keeping an eye on the area so for the mean time I didn't want to disturb it by getting too close. I want pics of the owner not pics of the den. So I will get back to you on this one.

accyzs.jpg

Here's a pic of fisherman preparing to relocate today(scared) when my wife and I were there. It may be kinda small but I had almost no bat left to use the zoom on his yellow fish hut. middle left.

2uyotj5.jpg

Days end pic after we circled the perimeter of the lake back to where we parked looking for prints in minus 10 degree plus the wind. You can see a pic table in the back ground that is use by the fisherman to clean catch away from his hut. smart. We had fresh snow so if something was there the new snow may of covered all its tracks. Anyways trackers on it, so if it makes another appearence hoping to mooch some free fish from an ice hut Hopefully i'll get some better pics for you guys. thats if my cam doesn't act up again in the cold.

2u70pom.jpg

I can't give out exact locations or names but I thought some of the members may be interested in seeing what old trackers been up to. For some of the more experienced in the field members they may think its kinda lame to just show some pics of my adventures without showing a BF on a hill side or something? O well we can't please them all and the Bf's don't wait around for a photo shoot. tracker dry.gif

Sorry guys my link failed so I'll just post the report.

Lake Christie, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

"My Story"

I don't even know where to begin. To this day, even the thought of what I'm about to tell you makes every hair on my body stand up, and brings tears to my eyes (why the tears, I don't know, but they are genuine). I have never discussed this with anyone, and hadn't planned to, but after stumbling across your site, I think I've had a change of heart.

I live in Ontario, Canada. It is probably for this reason, that I have never said anything until now. To my knowledge, almost all Sasquatch sightings are along the West coast on the continent, and along the Rocky Mountains. I don't know how many sightings have been recorded this far east, but I know what I saw, and heard on a few separate occasions.

I used to work at a Scout Camp in northeastern Ontario. It is in a very remote location, nearly an hours drive from any civilization and one of the only true "Scout Camps" in all of Canada. It is surrounded by lakes and large hills of dense forest on all sides, and their are a few cottages scattered here and there around the main lake the camp it is stationed on... Lake Christie if I remember correctly. Although I live far away from this place, I worked there every summer from 1996 to 1999. My first experience happened in 1996. I was 16 years old.

As a counselor, every two weeks we were moved around and put in charge of different scout/cub groups (I guess so everyone gets a chance to work with groups of all ages). On this particular rotation, I was working with one of the senior scout groups at the camp. As part of their last week there, they had to partake in what was called a "solo night". This is where each camper is driven by one of the assisstant Camp Directors to a remote location and left for the night, with the bare necessities to survive (a sleeping bag, rations for one day, and two strike-anywhere matches). It was on this particular night that I will never forget the sounds that I heard.

It was late at night in August (I am not exactly certain of the time) and I was sleeping in my tent, in the upper field, which is not exactly on the camp grounds, but up the dirt road quite a ways, and into the bush another 5 minutes walk. All together, probably a 20 minute walk from the main camp ground. In the middle of my slumber I was suddenly awakened by a loud, deep shrieking/squealing sound, that I had never heard before. I sat up in my tent, alarmed, and uncertain of what I had heard. I thought maybe it was one of my colleagues playing a trick on me and the other two counselors who were camped up there alone for the night. Or, one of the other two, for that matter.

This being a camp full of staff who are well known for their pranks, I wouldn't have put it past them. Then, I heard the noise again. It was even louder. At first I thought it was a skunk being attacked by coyotes or something. I have heard that sound before and witnessed it (for those who don't know, skunks actually make a sort of "shrieking/squealing" sound when being mauled to death. I saw it first hand, but that is another story all together -- Ed's note: All mustelidae such as wolverines, weasels, badgers, civet cats, skunks and otters etc emit a loud to groaning squeal or high rolling shriek often sounding like a woman in hopeless distress when caught by predators or in iron set traps. The sound can be very loud & unnerving, even from a wounded rabbit....) However, this sound was much deeper.

Then, just as it had come, the sound stopped. I lay awake for the rest of the night, barely moving a muscle. When morning came, and the sun was bright enough, I slowly came out of my tent, and walked to the main camp ground for breakfast. A few minutes later, the other two councilors came down to the main camp, and gave me a mysterious glance. Then, one of them approached and asked me "was that you making all that racket last night? You scared poor Dave half to death." I just looked at him and said "what racket?" with a stone-cold look. He gave me a knowing look, and walked away. We never discussed it after that, and no one mentioned pulling a prank on me or the other two that night. Sooner or later, everyone owned up to their pranks, but no one even mentioned this one at all. It was not until months later that I realized what I may have heard.

I was watching a documentary on TV about Bigfoot, and a crew hunting the evasive being had recorded what they thought were "mating calls" of the mysterious creature. When I heard the sounds of the recording come from the TV, the memories of that night all came back to me, I quickly sat up, eyes glued to the screen and the hairs on my neck stood up. It sounded almost identical. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.. again!

My next encounter was two years later (1998), again in August. It was late August, and there were no more "Cubs" for the remainder of the summer, so the designated "Cub Field" and its cabins were vacant. So, not having much to do, and no kids to watch, I decided to sleep in the "Cub Field" with the rest of the staff who had no children to take care of. The Cub Field is exactly that. It is a large clearing in the middle of dense forest, up yet another hill. It is probably 150 yards wide, and probably 200-250 yards long, with a row of small cabins on either side. While I layed in bed, in one of the cabins, I awoke a little after 12:00 am. I don't know why, but I was just suddenly awake. In the distance I heard what I thought was howling, but I wasn't exactly sure, I sounded kind of muffled. But, I was used to that sort of thing. I looked over at one of the other counselors' staying in my cabin that nigh t... he was fast asleep. Then, out of nowhere, I heard what I thought was someone running right by my cabin. The steps were heavy and quick. I shot out of bed, grabbing my flashlight, wondering who was running around at this hour, since everyone was supposed to be in bed hours ago. I swung the door of the cabin open and shone my flashlight in the field. I couldn't believe what I saw next.

About 40 feet, diagonally from me, I saw a large, hairy creature walking across the field, very swiftly. I stood there in shock, wondering what my eyes were seeing. This thing was absolutely enormous! At first I thought it might be a bear, but then I realized something -- it was walking upright, on two legs. It was very tall, bulky and had dark brown hair covering it's entire body.

Then as if noticing my flashlight, it stopped, turned and looked at me. I could see the yellow reflection of it's eyes and it's face. The face seemed to be almost half human, half ape-like having little hair on its face, but the skin was almost the same color as it's hair (a sort of lite brownish color). It stood there, looking at me, and I at it, for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably more like a few second.

I wanted to scream... I wanted to wake up the others... but I was frozen. I was caught up in the phenomena that I was seeing and couldn't move. That's when I noticed the smell. It was such a rancid odor, I had to plug my nose to save from puking. Then, the creature turned and began to continue it's swift movement across the field. And in a matter of seconds, it was across the field, walked between two cabins, and into the dense forest. It was when it walked between the two cabins that I realized how tall this being was.

I am 6' tall. Without standing on my tiptoes, I can reach approximately to the 7' 4" mark. This thing, as it walked between the two cabins, was taller than where the top of one of the doors is. The cabins are elevated off of the ground. From standing on the ground, I cannot touch the top of one of the doors. I am a couple of inches shy of it (I checked the next day). I would estimate that this thing was probably around 8' tall, or close to it. Again, I lay awake for the remainder of the night, my hatchet by my side. This was the scenario for many of the remaining nights of that summer before I went home. There were even sleepless nights afterwards, while at home. I didn't think I was afraid of anything, until that night.

I tried searching for tracks the next day, but to no avail. I couldn't find anything. I next day I asked one of the head counselors if there were any large animals in the general area such as bears, and he said, "no". Apparently, there were no bears for miles and miles. I never mentioned anything about what I saw that night. I didn't want anyone to think I was crazy. I thought I would just wait and see if anyone else mentioned something before I said anything. No one did.

My last encounter was the following (and my final) year, yet again in August. I don't know why I went back after all of the nightmares and sleepless nights from the previous summer. I guess I thought it was a once in a lifetime thing. This time, I had taken a rowboat out onto the lake with a lady friend whom I had met that summer (yes, there are female staff at scout camps!).

The main beach for the camp is in a small inlet of the lake (almost like a sort of small bay) before it opens up. As I was taking her on our romantic moonlight row, I heard what I thought was somebody whistling at me. I stopped rowing. She didn't hear it, but I know I did. I looked around at the surrounding shoreline, and didn't see anything. Next, I heard a splash. A little one, as if someone had thrown a rock into the water. I thought maybe another couple was somewhere along that shore. I grabbed my flashlight, and she grabbed hers. We scanned the shore from the safety of the boat to see if we could spot them. We were scanning in different sections. Then I saw them.... those eyes. The yellow reflection. I focused in on them, and they had an eerie resemblance to the ones I had seen the year before. "Do you see them?" I heard her ask. Without looking away, I said "no. You?". "No", she replied. "What is that?" referring to the eyes caught in my light. "A deer?" she asked. Yeah, probably, I said. But I knew better. Then, the eyes were gone. We then "agreed" that there was probably another couple out here, and we didn't want to "get busy" in front of other people, so I turned the boat around and went back to camp.

I have kept these secrets with me for 5+ years now. This is one thing I can honestly say I haven't told a single soul until now. I will never forget what I've seen and heard. Although there was no physical contact, I have been extremely traumatized from what I've experienced.

All this has been p ut in the back of my mind until now (probably because there was a show on the Discovery Channel about Sasquatch today) like I said before, it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and my eyes water.

Guest Cervelo

Not lame at all. I love this stuff! Keep it coming!

It would be cool if you could just give a general location like northwest part of whatever state.

Right on Tracker. This is a cool thread! Keep it coming. I think Tracker already did give away some of his spot just by posting the story above. And we know he is in Ontario already. Hurry up buddy, I want to hear more!

Hey Tracker

You may want to check out one of those cameras that are designed for cold weather use.

My parents bought my youngest daughter one for Christmas.

I will grab the name of it later for you.

I think it was around $150, my daughter likes it but she hasn't used it in the real cold.

A cheap point and shoot digital camera is a good backup to a DSLR

Guest tracker

Actually i felt kinda dorky taking those pics or having them taken of myself. I seen some tree breaks and lots of tracks of moose, deer, fox, wild turkey, hare and a renegade wolf that were only a few hours old. But my cam was giving me probs so I saving the juice for anything better I came across.

Also I normally don't bring my wife out but I guessed right that if one was around? he would be long gone. When I go alone I only have to worry about myself. As you can see i don't carry a rifle, just a knife (under jacket). There's the odd cougar or some wolves about but they never bother me. I go about 6' 2 with boots on & pack about 220lb, & I am kind of ugly with my scars so they leave me alone.

Actually it's more in the approach, they can tell if your a threat or not I believe. Other than the grizzly out west, I've never had many problems. Other than being charged by Buffalo, Elk and Rams that is. dry.gif

I keep working on getting a better avatar too. Some of you guys got really cool ones, mine suck.

Edited by tracker

Guest tracker

I saw a herd of Bigfoot in that tree line. Let me go get my red crayon...

The area looks beautiful.

Thats what i was affraid, since my cam wasn't working and my wife came along this time. It's odd how you always see stuff when your not prepared. dry.gif

Track, what was your best CHARGED story? I am particularly interested in the elk and ram.. I nearly got it from a moose once. It was being irritated by some yahoo behind me that I did not know was there. I moved out of the way. Lucky that guy did not get a charge. That was the closest I came to getting it.

Guest tracker

Track, what was your best CHARGED story? I am particularly interested in the elk and ram.. I nearly got it from a moose once. It was being irritated by some yahoo behind me that I did not know was there. I moved out of the way. Lucky that guy did not get a charge. That was the closest I came to getting it.

Jeez how do you judge that by the closest call? I think the Buffalo while hiking in Montana was the scariest. The others will stop and go away but those buffalo won't. A fence saved old tracker from being pancaked. The bugger even tried to smash it down to get at me. I must of wandered into their field after climbing over a crest not too far from the back of the inn. I got out pretty fast I can tell you. I was charged many times by Elk up near Jasper Alb. As the guys from Alberta Sasquatch will confirm.

What great places Montana and Alberta are. I had one of the biggest and best steaks ever and some free beers to go along with that story at a nice road side Inn in Montana. Those coyboys thought my story was a good one, worthy of of few rounds of cools. I also seen the location where Dances with Wolves was filmed if anyone remembers that Costner film. It's makes for a good laugh afterwards as long as you don't get hurt. :D

I've had a bear bluff charge me once, in the dark, with her teeth popping, that was interesting.......

I was armed and not to afraid, I didn't do anything further to provoke her, but I did forcefully hold my ground though.....

Most of my scraps came from upside down mules and horses, and working cattle on my family's cattle ranch as a kid. I think the worse one was when a bull threw me into a barbed wire fence and I got hung upside down by my arm. I still have a bad scar on the back of my triceps.

I also have a scar on my hand where a whitetail buck shoved a tine into my hand. But I cannot really get into details about that, that will not incriminate me....... Let's just say I was very very young, very dumb, and slightly inebriation. :blink: I do not advise anyone doing hand to hand combat with a white tail buck.

Guest tracker

Hey watch out or we could become burried swapping war wound stories. :)

I'll check back in on the den area on that bluff once they had some time to settle. I also wait for fresh snow to cover my old tracks and for me to find theirs new ones. It's a game kinda like hide & seek but mostly because I am getting to old to anti-track. dry.gif

I have to make my rounds anyways. over & out. tracker.

Edited by tracker

Very good thread Tracker, and my compliments. Excellent point about glassing the area & picking the route in before entering.

The only thing I can add is patience. The longer a person stays quietly in one place & glasses, the more critters he sees, or the better the chance the specific critter he's looking for slips up & makes it's presence known...

Guest tracker

Very good thread Tracker, and my compliments. Excellent point about glassing the area & picking the route in before entering.

The only thing I can add is patience. The longer a person stays quietly in one place & glasses, the more critters he sees, or the better the chance the specific critter he's looking for slips up & makes it's presence known...

Yea it takes alot of patience too, although in the winter cold with the wind off the lake you tend to hurry things up. :(

One point I was hoping someone would mention is that. I didn't go charging in to take closer pics of what look like a den. My point of view if you know the owners not home why ruin any future chances by leaving your scent and prints near it. Even if the builder has moved on it may become occupied by another resident if the area is left uncontaminated. So don't rush in just to get some pics to post for your friends on this site or others as proof or reward for your efforts. We all get the idea of what denning areas look like. That reasoning can be applied at water holes and at kills. Go for the gold don't settle for the bronze. we got enough of those in this sport. tracker.dry.gif