The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Guest JudasBeast

Guest BCCryptid

there are a lot of photos that the party took also and a lot of diary entries ........but the biggest mystery is.....

http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_answers.html

Why did nine, experienced and sensible, ski-hikers abandon their tent in such a hurry and in weather conditions that were hostile and almost certain to lead to their deaths?

lets face it, everyone is in a tent its like 30 below outside, and they cut or rip the tent "from the inside"......its gotta kind of make you wonder......why didnt they camp on the woods only a few hunderd yards from where they were? If it was me, I would have camped in the tree line and started a fire , but they camped in the open.....does this sound like experienced hikers and campers? there was no avalanche, the tent was still intact and upright....they had eaten a few hours before......

what could have possibly scared these people to rip up their tent from the inside and venture out wearing minimal clothing only to go to the tree line and watch from there? all this and 30 below, kinda makes you wonder what they had seen.....

this is not the first time people have lost their lives there either.....it is known as "Mountain of the dead men" in the mansi language

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/trachtengerts.htm

http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=25093

The investigation clearly stated that a flight of Mig-21 fighters, which have a whining engine similar in noise to an approaching avalanche, especially in the already howling wind storm, flew over them that night. The fighters were observed by other hikers. Hearing an approaching avalanche generally makes you do panicky things, cutting open your tent in your underwear and socks is one of them (although you have a higher chance of surviving by riding it out inside the tent, this is a snap decision and in most cases people RUN)

The only strange part about the case is the injuries. They found a tree where they ran to stripped of branches to quite a height, obviously firewood gathering. Someone fell from the tree while gathering firewood. Someone else fell into a gully while walking in the dark.

I'm really not seeing the great mystery here...

• 9 months later...
Guest Photographica

Obviously this entire event is curious in deed. But I am questioning the assumption that micro flora and fauna ate away the young woman's tongue and oral cavity.

The terms microflora and microfauna actually mean small plants, but refer the bacteria present in a larger body, ie the human intestinal tract.

It's a misnomer, and technically should be referred to as microbiota, but the relevance here is that they are saying that bacteria ate her tongue. Specifically the bacteria present in her body.

Typically, Saprobic bacteria are what cause the body to decompose. They take the larger conglomerations of molecules and break them down into smaller bits, this is decomposition. There are different types of bacteria that live in many different types of environments, from Antarctic super-salinated pools of water to super-heated volcanic environments, but each type of bacteria has its thermal happy zone, if you will. The rate at which saprobic bacteria decompose a body is entirely based on temperature. Their processes all being based on chemical reactions predicts this. Chemical reactions happen much faster in higher temperatures and can be slowed to a complete stop in colder temperatures.

This is why we die if we get too cold, our bodies do not have the temperature required to complete the chemical reactions we require to live.

Bacteria in our bodies have a thermal happy zone of the temperature in our bodies. This is why they thrive in our mouths, intestinal tracts and other places associated with smells.

My question is, how do bacteria accustomed to living in a 98.6 degree environment decompose a tongue (but not the body) in a -15 Degree F environment in two months time???

Also, it is very unlikely that there were any bacteria around that entered her mouth postmortem. Bacteria that live in these extreme temperatures are rarely found and mostly in isolated environments, not commonly spread about in the snow riding snowflakes down from heaven.

I believe something else removed her tongue. As far as a fox or other animal removing it goes, I'm not convinced of that either. No other body showed signs of being gnawed upon nor did the rest of hers, only the inside of her mouth. Maybe this "Snow man" was annoyed by her screams (the only woman and the only one mutilated) and ripped out her tongue. Just a theory.

Also, a crushing bear-hug is a likely maneuver of a strong creature lacking a creative wit. A fall would leave external signs of impact, a bear hug would not.

Aside from any ultrasonic soviet vibrational death guns, I think the bear hug theory is the only one that fits.

Let us also pay attention to the fact that these experience camper/skiers camped 1.5 km from the tree line and firewood source. If I were fearing some sort of attack, be it from a human or animal, I would camp where I could see clearly in all directions. This is not a place where one would camp under normal circumstances as the trees would provide shelter from the strong winds and snowfall as well as provide firewood.

Their tent was cut open from the inside. This means something mean was at the door and they wanted out FAST. They left in weather that was 47 degrees below freezing, in their underoos. This wasn't a spontaneous trip to get more firewood or a hike to fertilize a tree 1.5km away. Who collects firewood in their underwear? Even on a nice day.

They took photos and wrote journals, except for this day. Obviously something else was weighing heavily on their minds.

And let us not forget the most obvious evidence of all. They wrote in large letters, "From now on we know that the snow men exist."

That is creepy at the least and obvious allusion to what they felt was threatening them at most.

Whatever happened there, I'm glad I wasn't part of it.

Also, what happened to the sole survivor? What was his story?

I am no forensic biologist and by no means an expert in the subject.

Just my two cents. I'm curious to hear the opinions of others on this matter.

Guest para ape

There could be several things that contributed to the demise of those skiers.I doubt that is was bigfoot,because there are very few reports of it doing physical harm to humans.

Guest wudewasa

While the season makes such an encounter unlikely, could this tragic situation be part of a bear attack?

"Grizzly bear hibernation is not a true hibernation, because they can readily wake from their winter sleep.

When female grizzlies enter hibernation, the embryo restarts its development. In January or February, female grizzly bears give birth to 1-4 cubs (usually 2)."

http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Wildlife-Library/Mammals/Grizzly-Bear.aspx

"Europe has one large contiguous brown bear population in northwestern Russia and Finland. Servheen (1990) reports estimates of 30,000 to 33,000 west of the Ural Mountains. This total includes 4000 in central regions, 4000 in the Ural Mountains, 5000 in the Volga-Vyatka region, 1000 in the Carpathian Mountains, 3000 in the Caucasus Mountains, and 16,000 in northwestern regions. Since the fall of Communism this northwestern population has begun to reconnect with smaller populations of 700 in Sweden and Norway (Swenson 1994). There are about 450 brown bears in Finland contiguous with Russia (Pullainen 1989)."

http://www.grizzlybear.org/gbstatus/griznum.htm

Avalanches, aircraft, or other disturbances could have possibly awakened a sleeping bear nearby. The ursid, feeling threatened, attacked the disoriented group. While there are no claw or bite marks to attribute to a bear attack, this perspective seems more likely than a bigfoot attack.

While the season makes such an encounter unlikely, could this tragic situation be part of a bear attack?

Avalanches, aircraft, or other disturbances could have possibly awakened a sleeping bear nearby. The ursid, feeling threatened, attacked the disoriented group. While there are no claw or bite marks to attribute to a bear attack, this perspective seems more likely than a bigfoot attack.

except, for one thing, Im sure a bear would have eaten his fill, not like a bear to pass up a free meal......

Maybe this "Snow man" was annoyed by her screams (the only woman and the only one mutilated) and ripped out her tongue. Just a theory.

I think there was 2 women on the trip......

Guest mastershooter

I'm not sure if anyone on this Board is going to know what happened to a Ski Party in 1959, in a set of Russian Mountains, but i might be wrong..

Actually I remember the event from news casts. It was rather an item of talk at college and on the news media. At the time, I was headed toward 20 yrs of age.

It should be noted that the media at that time was not like the media of today. There would be days between news stories. The cell phone, digital cameras and dependable satellite data was not yet invented.

Russia was a backward country back then and their medical experts were rather crude.

Guest BFSleuth

Yep, fleeing from a phantom avalanche makes the most sense.

Fail.

Fleeing from an avalanche isn't plausible at all, even a "phantom" avalanche. They happen way too fast. Normal reaction, especially if you are in a tent, is simply to "duck and cover" as it were. I've ridden out an avalanche in a tent (thankfully a well anchored tent) and from the moment I knew it was coming to the moment it hit was ... oh, about 0.07 seconds.... lol

I remember reading about this years ago and I came to the conclusion that it was an avalanche.

One thing about an avalanche killing them, the woman could have swallowed her tongue in fear, or do to being washed away in the avalanche. I wonder if they checked her stomach for evidence of her tongue?

Still, That is odd. I wonder if a BF would pull out a tongue to stop a woman from screaming? :blink::( This is a horrible and very sad story.

Admin
I doubt that is was bigfoot,because there are very few reports of it doing physical harm to humans.

True, but even the benign presence of a BF nearby can cause people to panic. Lots of reports of that. Not saying it was, but if a curious one happened on the camp and started exploring it, it is possible that they might have panicked and tried to flee. But like I said, I suspect that something else was the actual cause.

I just found this thread. I can guarantee you that the WMD theory does not fly. This was my field of expertise in the military.

Guest BigfootHuntress

Also, what happened to the sole survivor? What was his story?

Yuri Yudi was the 10th member of the expedition. On January 28th, he was forced to go back due to an illness.

Guest BigfootHuntress

I had read this story a long time ago and I was left completely stumped. When I began my fascination with BF, a light bulb went off. Seemed very plausible to me that a BF had stalked them that day (reference to the "we now know snowmen exist" note left behind) and they were left shaken by it (reference to the no diary entry that last day) and decided to camp out in the open (reference the them camping out on the slope which was not customary for hikers to do). BF screams, from what I hear, are positively eery and they may have finally lost it thinking the BF was going to attack and so they left their tents and took off to the safety of the trees. From what I've read, they weren't armed at all. So, whatever scared them must have been major considering they didn't bother to cover up to protect them from the elements.

BF tracks weren't found, but then again, where the searchers really looking for BF foot prints? Besides, perhaps they mistook BF foot prints with the prints of the hikers in their snow boots which would be much larger than ordinary foot prints. The prints may have just blended together.

BFs aren't known to eat humans, so that fits with why the corpses weren't eaten. The woman's tongue was removed, but other than that, her body was left alone. The other damage to the bodies, skull fractures and rib brakes could have been BF related. Bears would have either been in hibernation or if awake, been hungry enough to make a snack of the bodies don't you think?

Since it is known the hikers veered off course, they must have found themselves in BF territory and were scared off of that slope in the middle of the night.

Furthermore, a few of the hikers bodies were found on their way back to camp. Had there been an avalanche, the camp surely would have been destroyed or at least covered by a lot of snow. So, I don't think they would have bothered to go back if that was the case. It seems likely that the hikers deemed it safe to return to their camp after spending a few hours under the trees and finally realizing they needed their shelter back.

If only we could ever know the truth.