Risks And Dangers Of The Trade

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

It depends.

If its a poor family trying to put meat on the table? Leave em be.

If its a bunch of yahoos killin to be killin? Burn em.

Yea you nailed one of the "What if's?" NM. Were not talking poaching bears for gall bladders and paws for the Asian market on the west coast here. These are amateurs that are filling a freezer or two. However there's a couple places that do sell game meat near by and I ve seen deer, moose and bear on Restaurant menus. And I am sure they pull allot of deer out of that area. Even still there are reasons that only a certain number of tags are issued per year.

I may trade this info later for a recent sighting at a campsite or BF vehicle collision 411 from Fish and Game or police.

Here's a Q: for the hunters out there:

Do regulations prohibit shooting game animals like Moose while in water even if in season?

• 2 weeks later...

Yea you nailed one of the "What if's?" NM. Were not talking poaching bears for gall bladders and paws for the Asian market on the west coast here. These are amateurs that are filling a freezer or two. However there's a couple places that do sell game meat near by and I ve seen deer, moose and bear on Restaurant menus. And I am sure they pull allot of deer out of that area. Even still there are reasons that only a certain number of tags are issued per year.

I may trade this info later for a recent sighting at a campsite or BF vehicle collision 411 from Fish and Game or police.

Here's a Q: for the hunters out there:

Do regulations prohibit shooting game animals like Moose while in water even if in season?

In New York State it is illegal to take big game while in water. I'm guessing most states are the same. How much water? The DEC police officer I asked just shrugged. I assumed the beast had to be restricted somewhat, more than ankle deep water before it was illegal. And of course, out of season is poaching, as is out of area, not filling in tags and all those things that'll get you a DEC fine.

BTW: this thread is full of win.

I carry all that mentioned above, plus surveyor's tape, mess kit, spare socks.

Really have to read the book, "how to take a #$$!! in the woods", sounds like a great read!

Edited by barlowROC

Guest tracker

In New York State it is illegal to take big game while in water. I'm guessing most states are the same. How much water? The DEC police officer I asked just shrugged. I assumed the beast had to be restricted somewhat, more than ankle deep water before it was illegal. And of course, out of season is poaching, as is out of area, not filling in tags and all those things that'll get you a DEC fine.

BTW: this thread is full of win.

I carry all that mentioned above, plus surveyor's tape, mess kit, spare socks.

Really have to read the book, "how to take a #$!! in the woods", sounds like a great read!

Ankle deep is the rule i think? huh.gif

Anyways in regard to the poachers I've been keeping an eye on. After hunting season is over. It will be much easier to issue fines & charges because everything they shoot will be an illegal kill. Otherwise they could just lay low or relocate if the beat the charge or are given a simple fine or let off with a warning.

And Sask are too smart to go anywhere near these bone heads, so no worries. T wink.gif

• 1 month later...
BFF Patron

Yep, just a matter if the D-9 bulldozer is going to put on the brakes OR NOT. In this case......NOT. laugh.gif

Guest tracker

Yep, just a matter if the D-9 bulldozer is going to put on the brakes OR NOT. In this case......NOT. laugh.gif

Yea smile.gif, With this report it could of just bluffed and bumped him but was made into attack?

Recently one tried to sneak up on my dog. So keep them close.

T

• 9 months later...

The worst thing that ever happened to me while bigfooting, happened in 2004 in the Willow/Bluff Creek, CA area. I bought a new 2004 Ford Ranger and a canopy to match in April and in October I thought I would make a trip to Bluff Creek from Oregon to break in my new truck. I got down there in the evening and did some exploring and I parked at the end of the wrong road. I don't know if they were pot growers, meth heads, poachers, or what. But five guys came around the corner and started yelling at me and telling me to go back to Oregon. So I started to walk to my truck to leave, but they surrounded me and wouldn't let me leave, even though they're telling me to leave. So me and one of the guys were nose to nose yelling at eachother and I got hit real hard to the back of my head and I dropped to my knees. I looked back up at the guy I was yelling at and made a fist and was about to uppercut him.

I don't remember making contact or not, but I woke up in the pitch black and cold. I felt around and found my flashlight and turned it on. I was lying on the ceiling of my new truck. I don't know where I was or how I got there, so I just curled up in a ball on the ceiling of my truck and froze. I heard a truck up the hill and saw its headlights, so I flashed the flashlight off and on until the truck stopped. Two hunters came down the hill and helped me to the road, laid me down and covered me with their hunting coats. I told them not to call the police or ambulance, just a tow truck. As it got lighter out waiting for the tow truck one of the hunters said I was real lucky. If it wasn't for this one tree my truck would have rolled along ways down the mountain and they wouldn't have been able to see me.

It took two tow trucks to get my truck out and as we were driving down the mountain I didn't recognize anything. I was over 20 miles away from where I was with those guys and on the opposite side of the river. I also noticed both of the windows were rolled down and I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, I always wear my seatbelt. I think those guys knocked me out and drove me and my truck off the mountain or in my blind rage I fought my way to my truck and drove and drove until I drove off the mountain. Either way I can't remember.

I didn't think I would ever go back down to the Bluff/Willow Creek area again, but in 2010 I did, and I brought my friend Rugar 45.