Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Come on down Zman......will show you some cool stuff:) East Texas is fantastic too, but more forestry, not as open as here, lotta places for them to hide in that 'neck of the woods'.

Admin
25 minutes ago, Bigtex said:

Beautiful hiking weather of late, will be hitting it pretty good........and miles & miles to go:)

Lulu Ready to Hike #2.jpg

Is that a long bed step-side?

• Upvote 1

Yes it is......bought new in 1986, GMC 1-ton, with the long step-side as you noticed, Muncie 4-speed, 3,73 gears, and positraction.......came with a 350 that I yanked several years ago, and now has a crate 383 Stroker with around 420 ponies.......this ole beast is known & loved in these parts, the BF's too, and is named Whitey.

Admin

^^^ Nice! 

I don't know about Texas, but you don't see many long bed step-side's around here. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one before.

It was very hard to order, 2 dealerships said no, and you're right, I've never seen another one either......it's heavy, but moves pretty darn good now with the crate motor:)

The BF's know I'm coming too, has a louder and very distinct sound.

• Upvote 1

Here's a juvieprint that I posted recently, but didn't tell the story......I found several great prints in and around a creek pool, and after I took the one nice print pic, the owner of the pool came out and was quite aggressive, dang near bit my foot! Anyway, you can see more prints in the mud around the Snapping Turtle, was going to go back and take more pics the next day as there were some great prints in there, but it started raining and didn't stop for weeks, flooding, no sign of it now or Mr. Snapping Turtle. 

Snapper Pool - Juvie Mud Print 1.jpg

Snapper Pool - Mr. Snapper.jpg

Yeah, he was pretty big & mean!

• Upvote 2

^^^ if you go swimming in that pool. be sure to protect your 'ding-a-ling'.  [ hint; Chuck Berry ]

Is that snapping turtle the kind that can take a finger ( or other appendage ) off in one bite?

Edited by Catmandoo
  • Haha 1

This is the Common Snapper, and guessing he's 25 lbs, and yes, watch out for fingers, toes, and ding-a-lings.....great one Cat!

The Alligator Snapping Turtle is the monster, and can get close to 300 lbs., don't wanna mess with those!

Regarding the long bed stepside GM pickup, I've owned 3 of them in my business in the past. One was a 3/4T bought from the Provincial Hydro company, a '69 4x4 with the 292 I6 that I used as my personal camping/hunting/prospecting vehicle, the other 2 were 1T 2 wheel drives, a '69 with the 396 big block and 4:10 gears, the other a '72 292 I6 with 5;14s. Both of the 1Ts had beds that were 9' long, and they all were extremely reliable heavy duty workhorses that I drove to the 500,000 km mark before selling off. I wish they made trucks that simple and sturdy these days!

9 hours ago, Bigtex said:

Amen BC......Whitey is a beast of a truck, and doesn't even have a cup holder:)

Right - built for work. No radios, no carpets, no door upholstery. Top loader 4 speed manual trans, and heavy duty everything. You could hose the cab out after a day in the gumbo mud.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a post, had a dose of the Holiday-Lazy........hoping everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I decided to pitch a small tent in the gift tree area inside the 'Boma' I built to see what kind of response I would get......upon returning in the morning, I found the PB jar & Action Figure knocked out of the basket, pics before and after. there was a large print impression on the outside of the Gift Tree 'Boma', and a long arm could reach over and slap the basket the print is circled in red. The 2 items are wedged in the basket pretty good, and have to be messed with to fall out.

Gift Basket 11-18 Before.jpg

Gift Basket 11-18 After.jpg

Fallen BF Toy.jpg

Gift_Basket_&_Print_1.jpg

Gift Basket & Print 2.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

Last week we had several days of rain, with some good down-pours Friday, then starting clearing up early morning Saturday.......I went hiking and found this really cool 'fresh' track-way. It crisscrossed the off-trail I was on, and through a section of softer ground material. Just a leisurely stroll with a dad and his boy early in the morning, except in this case it was a rather large Hairyman and his Juviefoot son. Here a pics of the best ones of each, it was really cool to see this, plus knowing the tracks were only hours old, and they could still be hanging around close by. It was near this pool & waterfall......great place to 'hang' for sure........Lulu likes it too:)

Print 119 (Daddy).jpg

Print 120 (Junior).jpg

Creek 9.jpg

Creek 10.jpg

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic