Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Welcome to the BFForums Northwind!

I started experimenting with store-bought game-cams around 30 years ago, have had many over the years, still do, but they just don't work well for BF research, and ditto for the higher apex animals too, IMO......they know it's there. I have tons of animal pics where the subject is looking right at, sniffing, or biting a store bought game-cams. Over the years I realized their limitations, and built something specifically for the Hairymen and other apex predators. 

Here's a really nice huge hairy arm taken with a Bushnell, which reached around the tree it was attached to grab the Game-cam, and the 2nd pic is the one taken as it was on its way to the ground, and where I found it.

BF Right Forearm.jpg

BF Right Forearm - Next Pic.jpg

Edited by Bigtex
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

BigTex,

I am interested in your camera trigger setup. Are you able / willing to disclose how you have them set up?

Thanks 

Go back to page 112 of this thread to see an overview of Bigtex's set up.   Crunchy peanut butter is the optional extra. ( in a pinch, you can eat your research or just sample the PB for quality control purposes )

Now that's funny Cat!!! Maybe that's why they aren't taking it.....too old! Better get some fresh stuff I guess, better for them, and me in a pinch:)

On 2/12/2019 at 5:39 PM, Bigtex said:

Yesterdays hike ended up quite an extraordinary experience.......my sweet Lulu the wolf is coming into heat, and I've had issues with Coyotes before when she's in this condition, but this time it was a lone Wolf. He followed us for miles and eventually back to my truck. Obviously it was cool for me to see a wild wolf, he was totally cool, but stayed in the shadows mostly, and near impossible to get a good pic of......zoom in. Beautiful beast, either a Mexican or Red wolf, any experts out there? My female Grey is about 90 lbs., and he diffidently looked bigger.   

Wolf 1.JPG

That is really a spectacular photo if it is red wolf.  My only conern is that males over 90 pounds are outside their usual range.  It sure looks like one.

He's probably not as big due to this time of year and his winter coat, which can really make them look big.....by July, he'll look smaller after he sheds the winter coat. As far as Lulu, the amount of fur from her winter shed would fill 2 large Hefty yard bags!

as owners of several huskies over the years with males in the 85 pound range, I understand that amount of shedding.

Had a nice hike earlier today over to the Gift #2 area, and the Peanut Butter jar from last Spring is finally gone! A before and after picture, plus the pups - particularly Lulu - spent a great deal of time sniffing around the area. I was there 2 days ago, and before leaving I left 2 apples right by the PB jar (placed after I took the pic), they were gone too. There is some good BF activity near the Gift #2 area due to the increased pig activity along the nearby feeder creek coming down from the hills.  They seem to be hunting them nightly in this location, high-five for that Hairyman! Some nice tracks as well, and a few below that weren't there the other day.......need to hang out here some night soon for sure, no tech stuff though, maybe they have finally forgiven me from last year.

Gift Area 2 - Before 2.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Print 152.jpg

Print_153.jpg

Print_154.jpg

Print_155.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

More action at my Gift Area 2, another PB jar taken, only out there a few days, and some Apples. As far as the Apples, I stuck them on the Deer Antlers as shown, delicately balanced in the tree, and the reason being most any other animal would knock the skull on to the ground puling them off the Antlers. A few before & after shots, plus some new prints in the area.

I still can't figure out why my pics are getting turned sideways, they are normal in my computer.....easy on your necks:)

Gift Area 2 - Before 3A.jpg

Gift Area 2 - After 3B.jpg

Gift Area 2 - Before 3C.jpg

Gift Area 2 - After 3D.jpg

Print 162.jpg

Print 163.jpg

Print 164.jpg

Print 165.jpg

Print 167.jpg

Print 159 (Juvie).jpg

• Upvote 1

Hey Cat.....about 6 feet, the Apples are stuck on there pretty good, and would require holding the skull down with one hand & pulling with the other to keep it from falling out of the tree. Plus I would think any 4 legged nibblers would have knocked it out of the tree and/or left pieces of the Apples below & around the tree.

Here's a before pic with the PB rock on the right, and the skull in the tree. The little spring-feed pool is below left, and one of the reasons I chose this place, as it usually holds water most of the summer.

Gift Area 2 - Before 3-19.jpg

Smart squatch love bacon on the hoof! Good for them. Yum, bacon.

Nice print finds! Do you cast them sometimes? If so, is it the same Bigfoot?

BFF Patron

Yep and this is how Squatch cook em.    

pig roaster.jpg

Wow, now that's a piggy roaster! 

Hey Madison......I have never been a track casting guy, too much stuff to carry around, and always hiking with the pups & wolfy, so gotta keep moving. Plus I don't want any possible observers watching me do this, as they might start being a lot more careful about their tracks. There are 2 individuals in particular that I find most often over the years, I'm guessing a daddyfoot & kidofoot, and have literally watched the latter grow up over the years as his/her foot keeps growing.......here's the very first print print I found of the now teenfoot from 2003, and it appeared that Mom or Dad had put him/her down by the edge of a creek to get a drink, and was just under 4 inches..

Babyfoot - 2003.jpg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic