Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Beautiful weather down here......went to the Gift Area #2 and my BF Action Figure, which has been standing in a tree as shown for almost a year, is now gone and nowhere in the immediate area.

Also, on one of the trails I take to Gift Area #2, there's an Deer blind from the old ranch days, and looked old 18 years ago when I first ran across it, but still well made and seemed sturdy. Went by there the other day and it's like a bulldozer went through there. There was an old cooler in there that was carried off a bit, plus I have a spring-loaded block on the trail not far away, and the 2 spring-loaded limbs forming the block were twisted & broken off. As a footnote, I have several visual blocks on my secret trails, using live branches that I push aside when I go through, and they spring back into place hiding the trail.....guess where I learned that trick many years ago:) 

Gift Area 2 - Action Figure.jpg

Gift Area 2 - Action Figure Gone 3-31-19.jpg

Blind Bust 1.jpg

Blind Bust 2.jpg

Blind_Bust_3.jpg

Blind Bust 4.jpg

• Upvote 2

Admin

Not good ground for footprints...

For sure.....couldn't find any prints in that area, the Deer blind itself was a similar shape & size to a Porta-potty.

The Sotol plants are starting their Spring growth, and finding several places where the Hairymen have had a little snack......the stalks turn brown after picked within 2 days, and of particular interest is the large round piece pictured below, a sort of Sotol chewing gum, and was still wet from saliva when I found it.....pretty cool! Yeah.....I know, DNA and I did save it in a baggy, but too expensive to have it tested.

Sotal 42.jpg

Sotol 43.jpg

Sotol 44.jpg

Sotol 45.jpg

Sotol 48.jpg

Sotol 50 - BF Chewing Gum.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Been getting a lot of rain, which is good in these parts.......went to the Kill Zone the other day, hadn't been in a while, and always something new to see......that whole area is just plain creepy.

A few new prints pictured, and a great hiking tip because you just never know, and tired of my wife asking why I'm only wearing 1 sock when I return:) Easy to carry, add 1 drop of water, and magic, strong too! 

Deer Kill 45A.jpg

Deer Kill 45B.jpg

Deer Kill 46A.jpg

Print 174.jpg

Print 173.jpg

Print 172.jpg

T-Paper 1.jpg

T-Paper 2.jpg

T-Paper 3.jpg

7 hours ago, Bigtex said:

A few new prints pictured, and a great hiking tip because you just never know, and tired of my wife asking why I'm only wearing 1 sock when I return:) Easy to carry, add 1 drop of water, and magic, strong too! 

Looks like a creepy place! 

I've used those coin tissues for a couple years now. Fit great in my pack. Strong as you say and very useful. 😉

Those little towel things make great tinder, too! Get a few drops of water or spit to get it started, and then tear it apart. Great for starting fires, each one can start multiple campfires. Small and easy to carry!

That's a good one, makes a good strainer too from a natural water source, medical uses, napkins....a real multi-use tool!

Here's an interesting picture from my place up near Granite Falls Washington taken several years ago.......we were having a party-concert, and my buds were rocking down. Didn't see anything while taking pictures, but this strange ghostly figure appeared in one of them. There was always talk of an old Indian spirit on the mountain, so we called him Big Chief    just trying to figure out if he liked the music or not:)?

Spirits.jpg

^^^ Back story needed. Gibson, Stratocaster, Fender, Moog synthesizer and violin???  Wah-wah peddle?   Could be the ghost in the machine.

Or, a liquid splattered on the filter / lens and ran downhill. 

Edited by Catmandoo
delete text

There were some known musicians playing that night, all friends of Mount Todd.......they love to come to parties up there. All that's needed is to set up  a stage, and a 'Field of Musical Dreams' will occur, Jam time! The guy rockin' on the electric guitar is in the Rock 'n Roll HOF.

This is right near an A+ Hairyman zone, surely they enjoy these parties too....IMO of course:)

• 3 weeks later...

Summer is here and so is the heat, still hiking 3+ days a week though.

There's an area that I pass through often, and is where 5 different trails converge by a creek, so I decided to throw out some corn in about a 10' circle. I knew the Hairyman was using some of these trails, and would be a good spot , thinking it would attract some type of prey species they could ambush. Well, the Hairymen found it first and ate every single kernel, I mean gone in one night! Tramped up the area pretty good, and left 2 sizes of prints......check 'em out, some are better than others, plus there's some track over track going on, first pic shows the disturbed area with Lulu jumping out of the creek.

Also, nearby at the Gift Tree......more apples missing, I put several in the latched box hanging about 6' up in a tree, with a few more stuck on Deer antlers that I weaved that through cord....there one day, gone the next.

Print 181 (Seeral).jpg

Print 187.jpg

Print 185.jpg

Print 184.jpg

Print 183.jpg

Print 182.jpg

Print 179.jpg

Print 176.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

You have a carabiner on it and the apples are taken? How busy is this path? Could it be people taking them?

Great prints, though. How exciting! Sure looks like they hang out near the water. Where is the coolest spot near that area? Any caves that you know of in the area?

How big is that first print, it looks huge!

I hope you stay cool hiking. Its supposed to be 94°F here tomorrow.  Ugh. 

What breed is your other dog? Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Edited by Madison5716

Hey Madison.....good to hear from you:) The path is animal busy, but not human, the Gift Tree where the apples & peanut butter go missing is about a half mile away hidden away, and not on any trail......made sure to keep it very hidden.

The only way I can stand hiking in the heat this time of year in Texas is down in the deep creek ravines that run North-South, as the arch of the sun only hits them directly for a few hours a day, and shaded by around 3:30 or so.......by the time I hike generally around 6ish, the temperature is 8 to 10 degrees cooler down in there plus all the shade of the trees and breeze off the creeks when running. By contrast, if I hike down in a East-West ravine, which has been baking in sun all day, it's like an oven. Just like me, I think the Hairyman likes the North-South ravines too because they are the coolest spot around:) There are some caves about a mile or so away, but I stay away from those out of respect for the Hairymen. 

Yeah, that is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and I got him years ago to deal with the big kitties out there.....which he does a fine job of that, plus any boar hogs that are hanging around.

And lastly....that first print pic was scary huge!

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic