Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Ive been considering a RR for the same reason when it comes time for my next dog. 

Its 93°right now and i just walked 8 blocks. Now that my truck is broken down, I'm on the bus. It was eirher walk or share the stop with the crazy lady with horrible BO, talking to herself,  or walk. Makes you appreciate AC and vehickes for sure.

Also makes me wonder where the bigfoots go during the day to get out of the heat. Do you think they make use of the caves? Its boots on the ground experience that'll give you ideas of where they may be, that's for sure.

Happy 'footing!

I love my RR...he's 12 and still completely heavy-duty in the woods, they are extremely fast, like wolf fast, quick and agile.......they were bred in South Africa to hunt lions, so they have to be a tick faster & quicker than those.

Edited by Bigtex
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Madison,  my July encounter was on a hot day.    The BF I encountered were traveling up stream on a creek that stays cold year round.   I have wondered if they had a favorite swimming hole they went to cool off on hot days.     Wet fur/hair would keep you cool for a few hours while it dried even after you left the water.    We also have a few sighting reports where the BF seen were swimming.   Most of those being up in BC.   Certainly caves and lava tubes are cool during the summer.  

With the temps in the high 90's and climbing, the only way I can hike and stay cool, the hairyman too probably, is to hike down in a North-South ravine.....as the arch of the sun only hits it a few hours a day, and most of the ones that I use are shady by 3:00pm, and I hit them about 6:30, and it's at least 8 degrees cooler down in there, especially when the creeks are running, nice and shady too. By contrast, if you hike down an East-West ravine, it's been baking all day, and like an oven.......here's the hairyman's private pool.

Bigfoot's Pool.jpg

Is that dog day at the pool? How do the dogs react to scents around the pool?    Wolfie is on it. And the ankle biter is..............

BFF Patron
2 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Is that dog day at the pool? How do the dogs react to scents around the pool?    Wolfie is on it. And the ankle biter is..............

Be nice to the little one.    Bigtex says even Wolfie subordinates to her.   She was an adult when Wolfie was a puppy.  

^^^ The ankle biter term is just a size reference. Not indicative of demeanor.  I have encountered many small dogs that play nice and can be very defensive when required.  They can get into small places.

Hey Cat......that Wolf's nose is something special, and the pool is always a sniff fest for the pups when I go down there. The little white-tan dog on the far right is a Rat Terrier and is my oldest at 16....she is still the pack leader, the true killer of the bunch, and a finer squirrel hunter you will never find, she is still out front and leading the charge! The wolf is her 'pup' too, she taught her well, and still grooms her.

Izzy and her pup.jpg

• Upvote 1

I believe the Teenfoot follows us quite a bit, and I swear he/she has some kind of a play relationship with Wolfy, not the other dogs.....they seem oblivious when it's shadowing us, but not that Wolf, she's on an entirely different level of awareness.

BFF Patron

My daughter had a Fox terrier that lived to be over 20 years old.   He was around me when he was a puppy and so I could do most things with him, but if I messed with his head, he would snap at me.   

That's great.......my RT's kill tally is 5 cottontails, 3 squirrels (100's more treed), dozens of rats (duh), and a lotta lizards, usually just one quick well placed bite, and she brings them to me. She's missing some teeth now, so she finds them, disables them, and let's her rat killin' buddy Rusty administer the kill bite. Now Rusty is an interesting story......he was one of my sons dog and lived in an apartment for 6 years, my son felt bad for him so moved him to the 'Dog Heaven', as he calls my place. Anyway, this city-slicker dog was a basket case hiking, got lost several times, lucky to be alive, but he finally buffed out strong & learned the ways of the woods from the others, and after 2 years he's one of the Pack!

Izzy & Rusty.jpg

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

I like your dogs:) Mine is an idiot, he's been an apartment dog all his life. BUT, we live on a creek with nutria, opossums and racoons. He's killed numerous nutria. Last Friday on our 6am walk, a racoon came around the corner of our apts and he lit out after it, following it down its game trail 15 feet to the creek. Much barking and growling ensued, which turned to yipping and screaming.  So, i did what any rational 50 year old woman would do before her first cup of coffee and i took that game trail at a run and slid down that bitch like i was sliding into home plate, grabbed a stick along the way and beat that racoon with one foot in the creek until he gave up and ran away. Then i followed the **** dog up the bank and we limped home to breakfast. That's why i keep him on a leash at all times. If he did that in the woods, he'd be lost forever in the forest.

LOL....I can almost picture that! What is it about little dogs that they want to fight anything, especially bigger dogs?

LOL, you just took me back to a day years and years ago...  I was letting our Brittany Spaniel out the back door to tend to business.  I looked up and running across the field behind our house was a deer running for its life coming straight at me.  About the same time the dog caught wind of the situation and took off running toward the deer.  They met at our lot line.

The dog hit the brakes when it realized how much bigger the deer was and went sliding forward.  The deer figured out at the same moment that our yard wasn't the safe haven it was looking for and went sideways almost laying on the ground and turned back the way it had come from in that single bound.  The dog sees that the deer is running off, so he gets brave and starts barking, but didn't give chase.  I swear he came back with his chest puffed out.

I was just standing there in awe that the deer could move like that.

That's the only dog we've ever had that I knew for a certainty would have laid down his life to save ours.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic