Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

That's a great story, thanks for sharing........I don't even carry a gun, feel safe hiking with my pack:)

Mine is a shepherd mix and about 65 lbs. and 11 years old. Not only do i feel like i have to protect myself, being old and slow,  my dog is old and dumber than a box of rocks.

20190522_105944.jpg

Edited by Madison5716

He has rubber booties AND snow shoes and loathes them. He refuses to walk and rolls over, refusing to move and gives me a pathetic expression. It's sad. We were on the lakefront one day and there were stickers and I had to carry him 10 yards to the grassy area, and then check his feet. Box of rocks, I tell you.

He's getting old. I have to lift him into the truck.

BUt back to Bigtex and his bigfooting...

😀

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Monday....blah, blah.

Had some great hikes this weekend, been having lots of rain, VERY usual for June in Texas, but loving the cooler temps, running creeks, and the prints being left behind. First is a nice print with some toe definition.

The others are interesting in that they are underwater.......I was hiking one of the bigger creeks, and to the left of the waterfall shown, there is a small pool where these Sardine sized fish (3-4 inches) were collecting, maybe to get up the falls?

Anyway, at least 2 different sizes of prints, Daddy & Junior which I find all the time....tracks were everywhere, and in a random pattern that would lead me to believe they were after the fish, no sign of dead fish or parts thereof anywhere on the shoreline or surrounding area, very cool thing to run across!

Print 188.jpg

Print 189 - Fishing 1.jpg

Print 189 - Fish 2.jpg

Print 189 - Fish 3.jpg

Print 189 - Fish 4.jpg

Print 189 - Fish 5.jpg

Print 189 - Fish 6.jpg

Print 189 - Fish 7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here's a weird event from yesterday, and something we all need to think about when off the normal trails, especially in the Southern States (help us President Trump, finish the wall).....came across this illegal camp, surveyed the area as best I could and didn't see anybody, so I approached. Was going through the containers, clothes, food, basic supplies, then hard a stick break behind me. There was a gentleman of Mexican descent with fire in his eyes and a machete in hand....thought we were going downtown for sure, then the Calvary ran up, Lulu and Duncan with some fire & teeth of their own! The guy split post hast, I yelled at the pups so they would stop and not bite the guy, no one got hurt.....stay frosty out there my friends:) 

Hobo Camp 1.jpg

Hobo Camp 2.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Wow, scary!  Good thing your dogs were there. Perhaps it's time to rethink the "no carry" policy you have. Just sayin'.  Stay safe.

Hey NorthWind, thanks for the post......perhaps on the carry, but the pups keep coming though year after year on all kinds of undesirable critters, no injuries or shots fired:)

I've always had small kids around, so never bought a hand gun, and my shotguns are just too heavy to lug around on normal hikes, anything overnight or a new area I pack granddads old Iverson 12g.

Old Iverson 12G.jpg

Firearms enthusiast myself, I suggest that shotgun may be too short, overall (34" minimum), and remember, barrels must be minimum of 18".

Edit: Unless it was previously "grandfathered" thru ATF registration.

Edited by Incorrigible1

The barrel length is a smidge over 18" and the total length is a bit over Texas minimum, so it's cool....like it short so it doesn't drag on the ground or knock into my feet. I've practiced with it for many years, and shoot from the hip, with the '00' Buckshot & Sluggers I carry, it's surprising brutal, plus I can shoot nonlethal loads, which I carry as well. 

• gigantor featured this topic

Yikes, stay safe! Glad your dog's are a deterent! I sure wouldn't want to mess with three!

Running into an illegal grow camp or something similar is definitely something I worry about here in Oregon. I carry more for the creepy humans than I do for the creepy critters or bigfoots. My next dog will be an outdoor enthusiast and come along on outings.

those underwater prints are fantastic! Very cool. The creek with its little falls looks very inviting. They've found themselves a nice spot, that's for sure!

Edited by Madison5716

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic