Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Getting a little rain and cooler temps, if 91 qualifies as cooler:)  Here are some Deer kill pics, what was odd is the stick laying next to the spine had a sharp point sticking out just below the 'Y', circled in one pic and arrows in another. The point also looked like it had dried blood on it, just kind of a weird scene the way it looked.

Deer Kill 47B.jpg

Deer_Kill_47A.jpg

Deer Kill 47C.jpg

Deer Kill 48.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here's some interesting activity on one of the BF trails that I use often, this trail block took a little effort to build.....the green lines are the trail, and the red arrows are pointing to an oak log brought in from nearby, and woven in to the structure, none of it was touching the ground, pics from both sides....it was pretty cool........and a marker on a side-trail nearby pointing towards it. 

Trail Block 3A.jpg

Trail_Block_3B.jpg

Trail_Block_3C.jpg

Trail Marker 1.jpg

Edited by Bigtex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bigtex, do you think the limb in the tree could have broken off from the stump on the left (that looks like it's giving us the finger) and fallen into the fork, and THEN the forked tree fell afterward?

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

Hey JustCurious.....took a close look at the trail block yesterday from above, and that is certainly possible.......one of those 'perfect storms' for it all to line up naturally, but there was still something odd about it too.

Much cooler temps and a bit of rain, very few spots holding water, so I visited several of those places yesterday. The series of pics is a track way in a marshy area, and there appeared to be several tracks of 2 individuals4-B.thumb.jpg.1192f0bda3eb9c2b822aa14497f90178.jpg.....a few decent Juvie prints, and one nice what appeared to be a very young individual. I've seen a few babyfoot prints over the years, and they always seem to be at or near a water sources edge....like they were carried in and put down, check out the little toes in the baby print, pretty cool find 

4-A.jpg

4-C.jpg

4-dbaby.jpg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic

Hey madison5716....you should post a few of those, would be interesting to see:) Finally getting some colder nights, mid 40's, and a favorite seasonal food for the Hairymen has started......I have noticed this for over 30 years, so nothing new but always interesting. During the summer season I will find several ground hornet nests, and remember their location for obvious reasons, but also what happens when the weather gets cold. I know where the nests are, and the Hairyman does too.......last night was the coldest this season, and they wait until these cold nights to excavate these nests when the hornets are cold and not moving too well, they are after the tasty grubs. I've seen animals dig these up too, but the aftermath is is totally different and obvious. The Hairyman is quite calculated in his method, and in this case a stick was used to dig it up, as seen in the photo......then I will find pieces of the nest where they drop them while heading down their trails, no teeth marks, and the grubs are carefully removed....has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Also, a few recent prints, the first one is a double print, with a smaller one under the bigger outlined print......have a fantastic weekend all!!

Hornets 1A.jpg

Hornets 1B.jpg

Print_205.jpg

Print 206.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks NorthWind!

Lotta hiking this past weekend, and made it a point to check on 2 more ground hornet nests that I knew of, and sure enough, both were excavated pretty good. The arrows are pointing to items that were moved during the dig, and the rocks were big & heavy. Notice how careful and deliberate it looks, plus there were no parts of the nest anywhere around....if an animal did this, it would look totally different, and there would be pieces of the nest strewn about. Also, these 2 nests were totally off any trails, and definitely 'out there':) A few prints that were near by......one of them a double-print, as there seemed to be at least 2 of the hairymen involved. Also nearby......a very fresh Deer kill.

Hornet_Bust_1.jpg

Hornet_Bust_2.jpg

Print_207_(double).jpg

Print 208.jpg

Deer Kill 50.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hey BigTex, check these out! Just found them at a local Reservoir. Tons of prints - lots of boots, shoes, dogs etc snd a few barefoot prints thrown in the mix. I measured them against my toddlers at work, and they match up to 1-2 year olds. 

That's an awesome big print, BigTex!

20191103_134914.jpg

Edited by Madison5716

That is an interesting print Madison5716, nice natural looking toe splay, do you have any pics of the Reservoir area and other prints? With that many other types of prints in the area....it's hard to really know. I always hike in areas where very few folks will ever go, and when I start finding human shoe/boot prints, I move further out. Plus, if someone takes their shoes off in these areas, they're either crazy or I am looking for Tarzan:)

Edited by Bigtex

It's in a human-compromised area. Besides being adorable, it's size is that of a 1 -2 year old. I just find it suspicious. Most toddlers i know, and I've known hundreds after 20 years, don't like cold, slimy mud. Anyway, who knows. Point is, i just am fascinated with juvenile prints. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to post some news pictures.....did something change here recently, not seeing the icon to do so? Thanks from low-tech Bigtex:)

Don't you have the attachment link at bottom of post box that looks like a paperclip? If not, maybe pm Gigantor.

Edited by JKH

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic