Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

This doesn’t have anything To do with the hairyman, but I love all the critters out here, except the pigs and rattlesnakes! Here’s a Blacktail Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar, and when agitated, they shoot liquid out of the orange horn deal.....guess it’s toxic or stinks to others, but I like the way it smells

74EB4D87-92FC-4345-9669-2C45EBD531E6.jpeg

4B259D78-6F9D-4BA1-A035-D3DEB446527A.jpeg

B69632F8-F91A-43DA-9B81-7A82DEDED833.jpeg

Speaking of rattlesnakes, here are 2 males sparing, be sure you look good before you put the kids down for the annual Bluebonnet pics🤪

Edited by Bigtex

Admin

tex.jpeg

IMO, they often pull a handful of the inner tender Sotol leaves to carry with them as they move around.....a Hairyman snack on the go:) In over 20 years in this area, I have made my own pathways, and away from the main trails. I have found BF trails, incorporate those into my own trails, and they are using mine as well. I constantly find their discarded Sotol leaves all up and down these trails....they must really love these things, and they are tasty.......here are a few pics of the discards I find. The white tender part will start turning brown within 24 hours, so it's easy to tell when they are fresh.......the last pic is about 3 weeks old. They will eventually turn completely brown, and stick around on the ground for a year or so.

Sotol 53.jpg

Sotal 42.jpg

Sotol 43.jpg

Sotol 49.jpg

Sotol 74.jpg

Sotol 61.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is doing well under the circumstances:) Here's an interesting find from yesterday while bushwhacking a few new trails......yet another Peanut Butter jar lid from 2 or more years ago, and a few miles from where I had left it. I looked around for the lower jar, but no where in the area. It's been there a while, and lots of lil nibbles all over it  What was interesting to me were the flat marks, shown in 1 pic with red arrows. It's like something with flat teeth was trying to get the lid off, you can see where something flat clamped down and then slid a bit, causing a scratch....hopefully you guys can see what I am talking about. The location was a BF trail that I picked up while exploring new areas, way off the beaten path...... there are still more lids & jars to be found, lol. First pic is 'as seen' on the BF trail, and circled in red, there are also 2 small pieces of the lid near-by.

PB-1.jpg

PB-2.jpg

PB-3.jpg

PB-4.jpg

PB-5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here are some interesting things from my hike....no virus out there:)

A Leopard Moth caterpillar

An old Schlitz can

Deer Kill

Ribbon Snake

Old hairyman Shack

Leopard Moth.jpg

Old Shlitz 1.jpg

Old Shlitz 2.jpg

Deer Kill 44A.jpg

Deer Kill 44B.jpg

Deer Kill 44C.jpg

Ribbon Snake.jpg

Nest.jpg

• Upvote 1

More hiking and pics to share:)

Bigfoot's pool - nice deep pool all hidden away

A Coral Snake 

Nice BF print with toes

And the last 3 - more Sotol leaves as found discarded on the trails

BF Bath.jpg

Coral Snake.JPG

Print 245.jpg

Sotol 83A.jpg

Sotol 83B.jpg

Sotol 84.jpg

Edited by Bigtex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Really cool find yesterday walking down one of the creeks.....apparently the Hairydad was doing the same thing with a very young friend. Found several of their tracks along the way, and here are some of the better ones, also shown are a few pics of the creek I was walking down. The first pic shows both prints, with the baby circled in red and an arrow pointing to Dad, one pic of just the dad, and 2 more of just Junior's.

1st.jpg

1-P.jpg

1-J2.jpg

1-J3.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JKH said:

Wow, you must have had some good rain. That's a babyfoot, so I reckon a hairy mama. :blob:

Really cool to find the tiny prints....the babies must get carried around a lot, but put down by creeks to drink & play, that's where I always seem to find them. Here's a very weird set of pics......this round white thing was about the size of a large grapefruit. Thought I had seen all types of insect cocoon phases, but what on earth is this, never seen anything like it......almost looked like a 'Pod' from the Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie, very weird, anyone seen one of there before and know what it is? 

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

Admin
2 hours ago, Bigtex said:

know what it is? 

Asian murder hornets!

Just kidding, no idea.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bigtex said:

Really cool to find the tiny prints....the babies must get carried around a lot, but put down by creeks to drink & play, that's where I always seem to find them.

Several years ago, I read a piece in a local paper about stream ecology and there was a quote, something about "we know there are kids playing in (numerous streams) because we see their footprints all the time". Hiding in plain sight, you might say.

• Upvote 1

Well, if you consider Slimer an alien...

It looks like what is commonly called false puff ball, but the scientific name is Enteridium lycoperdon.  It's a slime mold.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some prints and Sotol snack discards from the past few days, we've had some decent rain so easier to find sign.

1P.jpg

2P.jpg

3P.jpg

3-Toed Print.jpg

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S4.jpg

S6.jpg

S7.jpg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic