Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

On 5/5/2020 at 10:20 AM, Bigtex said:

Really cool to find the tiny prints....the babies must get carried around a lot, but put down by creeks to drink & play, that's where I always seem to find them....

Madison and I have been noticing the same thing, BigTex. 

Have you measured the baby prints? The ones that we have noticed are in the 6 to 7 inch range.

Hey NorthWind....hope you and family are doing well:) I don't measure or cast....usually try to get my size 9'EE' in there for a rough size estimate, but moving pretty fast keeping up with Lulu....she won't wait for such things, lol!

On 5/22/2020 at 9:00 AM, Bigtex said:

Hey NorthWind....hope you and family are doing well:) I don't measure or cast....usually try to get my size 9'EE' in there for a rough size estimate, but moving pretty fast keeping up with Lulu....she won't wait for such things, lol!

Thanks for the well wishes. No family currently. Long story, don't want to get into it. I hope you and yours are well, too. Eager to get back out there and start exploring a few new areas while waiting for the lakes to drain. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you keep finding something that you think bigfoots are chewing on, then their dna will be on it. Why not carefully bag some up, send it for analysis and prove their existence? This will then stop people trying to shoot one to get a body to prove their existence and will help preserve their habitat. 

Hey Parkie…..it's been a journey to say the least since my first sighting in the Fall of 1959, and for many years I really wanted to prove the Hairyman's existence…..but not anymore, they are better off a cryptid, and they seem to appreciate that!

Here are a few recent prints, and more discarded Sotol snacks. We share a lot of the same trails in my area, am constantly finding the discarded leaves this time of year, and pretty sure they are leaving them so I see them......they must be observing me taking pics of this over the years, plus they seem to love them as an 'on the go' snack.

1P.jpg

4P.jpg

6P.jpg

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

S6.jpg

S7.jpg

Do you know if the Sotul has a laxative effect?  Just curious because in the PNW,  the 'skunk cabbage' growth is robust in the springtime and the bears eat it to 'clean' themselves out after a sedentary winter.

Bigtex, I like your nature photos and research. That pic of a coral snake was awesome. Do you leave them alone and let them go their way? Just teach everyone that “red and yellow, kill a fellow. Red and black, poison lack.” That is red and yellow TOUCHING each other on the snake’s pattern. Lots of pretty and harmless snakes like the milkshake have red and black touching. Also, fantastic vid of rattlesnakes sparring. So lucky you were there to see it. I did see 3 water snakes together, appeared to be mating...hm, who’s doing what to whom?

Have any other researchers noticed Sotol ripped up and chewed? Would like to know if it is a food for bears or other mammals, too. I can appreciate that you want to just study and not prove BF in your area, but it would be a great piece of info and research if someone could check sotol bits for DNA (ala Hiflier’s idea?). You could keep the findings to yourself, I believe.

Edited by Wolfjewel

Hey Wolfjewel…...good to hear from you:) Yeah, I never kill the snakes, and I am very good at identifying them, if I get bit, then that snake dies, but not creating any negative 'snake=karma' for now, an old Indian guy taught me that. First, my wolf Lulu likes your name, she's my hiking buddy for 9 years now, and unlike most dogs, she doesn't mind searching for the hairyman, plus she has the nose to find them, in fact....she might have rolled in fresh BT poo the other day, huge pile, and took me 15 minutes to scrub it off, what a weird smell too...….this kind of research I can do without! Here are some pics from the weekend;

Pics 1-3 : A very fresh Sotol chew, wasn't there the day before, I know they love to scrap the tender white meat off the shoots with their teeth, but I find there chews too, are the big males doing that? They are always big, wouldn't want that in my mouth, lol, this one is in a baggie a still wet with spit.

Pics 4 & 5 : Double prints from a trackway, big & juvie it appears to be

Pics 6-11 : More big and small prints

Last : For you Wolfjewel…..Lulu says "Howdy"

Bb.jpg

Ba.jpg

Bc.jpg

1b_LI.jpg

1c_LI.jpg

1d.jpg

1e.jpg

1f.jpg

1g.jpg

1h.jpg

1j.jpg

Bed Hog Wolf.jpg

• Upvote 2

They are really chewing the Sotol this Spring, another fresh chew found yesterday, plus the scrapped leaves are all along the trails, snack-on-the-go hairyman style:)

Sotol Chew 3A.jpg

Sotol Chew 3B.jpg

FYI......I've had a new pair of hiking shoes ready to go for over a year, now I'm just curious to see how far I can take the old ones.....they are at 3 years old now, and simply amazing for the amount of abuse they've taken hiking in some really rough areas. Anyone looking for a really good minimalist hiking shoe, get Lems  Primal2, they are well worth the $105.....plus the duct tape:)

The chew that I found yesterday and the day before were still green & wet with saliva, and would think the DNA represents a family group, not just 1 individual. The Sotol season will be over soon as it gets hotter, maybe next year be ready to go scientific with proper collection and sequencing the samples over the 2 months in the Spring...….I wouldn't being paying for it, too much money, but if anyone is interested in something like this, just let me know.....I sure know where to find their snack trash, lol.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:45 PM, Bigtex said:

The chew that I found yesterday and the day before were still green & wet with saliva, and would think the DNA represents a family group, not just 1 individual. The Sotol season will be over soon as it gets hotter, maybe next year be ready to go scientific with proper collection and sequencing the samples over the 2 months in the Spring...….I wouldn't being paying for it, too much money, but if anyone is interested in something like this, just let me know.....I sure know where to find their snack trash, lol.

@hiflier

Add @Bigtex to the list if you go thru with my suggestion on the main board in your thread. 

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic