Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Still pretty hot & dry....hope you guys aren't sick of seeing the Sotol snacks, but the easiest way to follow the Hairyman's movements this time of year, plus they are eating it pretty good. First pick shows one of their trails, and the discarded Sotol leaves as they drop them along the way.....Hansel & Gretel dropped bread crumbs, the Hairyman drops Sotol leaves, in the South anyway:)

1S_LI.jpg

2S.jpg

3S.jpg

4S.jpg

5S.jpg

• Upvote 3

I never get tired about hearing about another seeker's findings. Good job!

Ever go out there at night, or camp?

Edited by NorthWind
addition

I love going out there at night, camping too, but hard to find a buddy who wants to go out there after dark, and can't take the wolf at night

• gigantor featured this topic
Admin
1 hour ago, Bigtex said:

can't take the wolf at night

Why not?

Sounds like a plan NW.........hey gigantor, hope you are safe & well,! These woods around here, like most places, turn into something different at night, lotta stuff I wouldn't want her messing with, other wolves, packs of Coyotes, hogs, maybe even a hungry hairyman, can't take a chance of loosing my best gal:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup.....more Sotol discards, it's summer in central Texas for sure now:) You can see in the last pic where the tender new shoots were pulled out.

1S.jpg

1Sa.jpg

1Sb.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Here are a few older pics from this past winter, and deals with the Hairyman & the use of fire.......I don't believe they make fire, but will find and use it. The first 6 pics show a very hidden and low off-wind spot, I've shown this place before, great area to stay warm. The fires are always small and not what a human would do, plus the round circle in the dirt & leaves, are they curling up? One pic shows the first spot in the Spring, when the creek is running and under water. The last 2 pics are another secluded spot with the same kind of look. I've seen evidence of ember logs being taken from town & campsites, have shown these pics before, and on BF trails that lead to both of these places.......this winter I know where I'm going to make s'mores:) 

BF Fire Pit 1A.jpg

BF_Fire_Pit_1B_LI.jpg

BF Fire Pit 1C.jpg

BF_Fire_Pit_1D.jpg

BF Fire Pit 1E.jpg

BF Fire Pit 1F.jpg

BF Fire Pit 2A.jpg

BF Fire Pit 2B.jpg

BFF Patron

Certainly the first  use of fire with humans was initially when it was found and available to use.     Once it was determined to be useful to keep predators at bay,   fire was likely found and tended to keep it going.    .        It was probably used for thousands of years before humans figured out how to make it on demand with with friction or flint.     So it is entirely logical that BF would  first use fire they found.    Encounter reports of campers seem to suggest that BF will mess with campfire embers after the humans have gone to bed.  I would pin that on older curious juveniles who want to play with fire out of curiosity.    One report detailed how, what they thought was BF from the sounds of movement, threw a bunch of pine cones on nearly out fire and made it flare up dangerously close to the campers. .  

Edited by SWWASAS

Hey SWWASAS....good to hear from you, interesting stuff for sure:) Had a good gully-washer rain the other morning, and finally able to see various animal tracks out there. Here's a 3-day old Sotol chew, and 3 sizes of prints....the 3 individuals appeared to be traveling together down one particular trail that I share with them, a juviefoot, teenfoot, and daddiofoot.

1S.jpg

2S.jpg

1A.jpg

1B.jpg

1D.jpg

1E.jpg

1P.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice prints!  

Fascinating discussion on the possible use of fire.  I can't imagine what they would use it for, I bet their just curious.  

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

Getting cooler in Central Texas, and 90 degrees is cooler this time of year, lol. Some prints from an hour ago, the first one is a double, traveling in single file.

1P-double.jpg

1P2.jpg

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Bigtex said:

No maps, I'm all about the Hairyman's peace & privacy:) 

I think she meant for yourself ... Maybe you could see patterns or trails they're using frequently? Not a map of where you are, for us.

Documenting your finds for yourself wouldn't be a violation of privacy.

I've been meaning to ask...how are they making such deep tracks in the dry ground there? Or are all of these after big rains?

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic