Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Since my lovely 'X' took off several years ago and left me with the kids, that's been my main focus, so don't get to my other BF places in Texas or Washington of late.....and have been concentrating my efforts on the 'Urban Hairyman' phenom near my small home town. There are very specific trails that they use for their nightly forays in and out of town, plus over the 18 years I've been researching this area, I have bush-whacked my own trails and we are sharing many of those. We have enough occasional downpours to saturate the ground pretty good allowing for some excellent tracks.....and the ground dry's really quick in the Texas heat. You can see more detail when the tracks are dry too, so like taking pics of those:) Other than taking pics of the tracks and other BF related sign, that's all I do....and never use any kind surveillance equipment, no technology such as camera traps or audio recorders, and never cast tracks....you never know when you are being observed, it's a respect thing I guess, and they don't seem to be worried about me being out there, plus I think they really like Lulu, lol:)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I meant a map just for you.  I logged our info and it gave me some interesting things to consider, like travel corridors. 

• Upvote 1

The maps are in my head.....would probably make some if it was a new area, but after so long I got it down:) Here's a print from the other day and an old pile of Sotol leaves, notice the way they are chewed & neatly laid down afterwards.

1-a.jpg

1-b.jpg

1-c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice cool weather, equals some longer hikes.....here's a pic of a BF trail & trackway with at least 2 sizes, overlapping and double-prints too, plus a fresh Sotol snack, the seasons over for those now. We've had some colder nights, and the last pic is a out of place 'woods match'.

1E.jpg

1A.jpg

1B.jpg

1C.jpg

1D (2).jpg

• Upvote 2

More Sotol snacks....they seem to love this stuff, the left-overs always look the same and certainly follow a predictable pattern.

1S.jpg

2S.jpg

3S.jpg

1H.jpg

• Upvote 3

Interesting photo of checkerspot butterfly in previous post. Beautiful! Was it alive?

Anyway, your research on the use of sotol should provoke others to look into it too. Is there any other animal who is likely to eat it and leave leftover stalks? 

The butterfly was alive and well! The only other critters that I notice eating the Sotol are the wild hogs, but it is quite obvious when they do it, as they root around and tear up the plant and area. Plus they are not taking them with them to be consumed later and at a different location.

• Upvote 1

We had one of those butterflies visit us at our lunch stop in the BC Coast Mtns on Sunday. I was surprised to see it at about 3500 ft above the valley floor, where the nights have been freezing for the last week or so. Sotol doesn't grow here, but there have been sightings of Sasquatch earing the roots of cat tails/bullrushes in the spring.

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.59016b076af77586ee4f8d564d5f4a69.JPG

• Upvote 2

Beautiful weather in Central Texas, a nice long hike today, and with some excitement:) Was in my usual area and down in a creek ravine.....got a sudden whiff of that sweet-musky-skunky smell, wolfy Lulu immediately looked in that direction and took off. Within seconds of her leaving the smell was gone. This happened twice on the hike, and both times she was gone at least 5 minutes, which is not the norm....as she usually stays fairly close to me. The 2nd time I took off with her up the side of the ravine, and on a game trail with with different sized hairyman prints going up & down. I took a few pics, but was hard to find a decent print due to the amount of game traffic on this trail. Also, more Sotol that was recently chewed.

2P.jpg

1P.jpg

3P.jpg

1S.jpg

2S.jpg

3S.jpg

4S.jpg

I absolutely do, and working on a 'Wolf-cam' for her to wear, but she has so much thick hair, the regular dog cams I have tried don't work....working on some other set-ups, any ideas out there?

Here's a creepy picture of some Deer skulls....hadn't been down this trial in several years, so they have been there at least 4-5 years from their appearance, plus an older Sotol chew discarded nearby

Skulls.jpg

5S.jpg

6S.jpg

Meant to post this earlier....hiked over to my boma Sunday, and found this massive poop pile....at first I didn't know what the heck this nasty thing was, it was huge and made me pucker just thinking about it. The Hairyman doesn't like my boma anymore, use to be a great bait station until I hid a recorder in there, which they found, and finally coming in there again after almost 2 years, but just for mischief it seems.

1-poop.jpg

2-poop.jpg

3 hours ago, Bigtex said:

Here's a creepy picture of some Deer skulls....hadn't been down this trial in several years, so they have been there at least 4-5 years from their appearance, plus an older Sotol chew discarded nearby

Skulls.jpg

5S.jpg

6S.jpg

Any other deer bones nearby?  Or just the skulls?

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic