Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Howdy....thanks Madison, hope you are well:)

It's double-print day, first two are smaller teenfoot type prints with 2 tracks, one on the other, and the third pic is a coming/going cougar print (I think?), it was fairly large, so might possibly be a Jaguar.....they are back in Texas, and I have seen one fairly close a few years back, dats a big kitty!

1PC.jpg

1PB.jpg

1PA.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 6/14/2021 at 12:26 PM, Bigtex said:

Lovin' the soft dirt from the rains!

1AP.jpg

Hiya, BT!

I have seen things that look like prints that were actually puddles that formed, collected debris such as tiny sticks and fir needles, and when the puddle finally drained, left things that look like this, with the debris moved to the edges. Like a miniature dam. Hard to tell from this photo, but was there much depth to this one? 

Coming across a jaguar would scare the bejeepers out of me. I saw two jaguarundis once in Myakka State Park in Florida. Plain as day, Do y'all (my lame attempt at speaking Texan) have those there too? 

Stay safe!

Hey NorthWind....hope you are doing well:) The print was on high ground, but could have formed from a quick down pour, and have seen a lot of what you are referring to....I give it a 50/50, it was better live, showed a little toe action, and might be both phenoms....I was on the fence posting it. We definitely have the Jaguarundis running around town, they kill a lot of small dogs & cats, and many have been caught on backyard cameras, My Jaguar sighting was about 14 years ago, and bought a Rhodesian Ridgeback immediately, lol, he's 13 now and still going semi-strong.

Duncan-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Beautiful dog!

My friends used to have one that farted and could clear a room. Horrible. 

Edited by Madison5716

LOL, yes on the Ridgeback gas, it's probably just 1 step away from being from being weaponized......for those who don't know, Ridgeback's were breed in Africa to hunt lions, and they do not like cats, any cats.

That is a beautiful dog, @Bigtex!  I love ridgebacks!

I have two mutts, lab mixes. The male came to me in the forest when Madison and I were out squatching, very near where we ended up having our sighting. Dogs are the best.  Now if I could just train them to mow the lawn and do the dishes! But no. Heck they won't even fetch their master a beer. Why I keep them I will never know. ;)

Back in the stone age, when I was about 6 years old, we lived in cougar country. When my mother spotted one in our back yard between the house and the outhouse, Dad went out and bought a ridgeback. We never saw the cougar again, though it raided neighbour's chickens and pigs all the time. I loved that dog, his head was about the same height as I was, and he often walked to school with me, about 2 miles along a gravel road through heavy forest. He could run down that road as fast as anyone could drive it.

Here's a territory marker for a cougar in one of my areas, the scrapes go up about 7 feet.

Cougar Territory Scrape.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Crazy weather we have been having, lots of rain and more this week. Creeks are roaring, and still having some 80+ degree days....very unusual for July in Texas. Not hiking as much due to the rain, the Sotol plants are loving the water, they are plump and my hairy friends are having their fill.

1-sotol.jpg

AS2.jpg

AS3.jpg

Edited by Bigtex
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting impression from the other day, this was on top of a steep incline coming up from a creek. The pic is not as good as it was 'live', but to me looks like a hand print.....what do you guys think?

1B (hand print).jpg

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:07 PM, Madison5716 said:

Beautiful dog!

My friends used to have one that farted and could clear a room. Horrible. 

For anyone with a room-clearing dog, use a bowl to feed them designed to slow down their eating so they forage more and swallow less air. My dog’s spiral bowl does a good job — reduces farting by, say, 70% or more.

8421A590-1B09-4CA1-9F06-6CFFC5F4F74D.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic