Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

The bowl makes since.....my girlfriend just ordered one, but pretty sure she got it for me to use, hmmm.

• Haha 1

More rain, so nice to still be having the wet stuff in August! Left some apples in one of my gift areas, gone the next day. When animals get after these first, there's always some residual pieces scattered around  the area, not even a spec anywhere this time, so my hairy friends evidently found these first. The Deer skull had been left for me a few years back as a gift, so I like sticking the apples on the antlers real good and place up in a tree. By doing it this way, the Racoons and other animals that might get them first always leave pieces around the area as they chew them off, the hairyman likes to grab the antlers wedged in the tree fork, and pulls apples off.

1A.jpg

1AA.jpg

• Upvote 1

I should point out that I never ever put any technology in my main area....after many years of putting out game cameras, it's obvious that animals know these devices are there, so why not the big guy. I posted these 2 pics several years ago, and show what the big guy does when he finds these, IMO. First pic shows what appears to be a very large hairy forearm reaching around the tree from behind, and the next pic shows the game-cam on it's way to the ground, and where I found it.

BF Right Forearm.jpg

BF Right Forearm - Next Pic.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great pictures, Tex. Love the hairy arm. That's awesome. 

Sometimes I wonder if our technology dissuades them from approaching us. I just try to say in my mind - just in case mindspeak is actually a thing - that the gun IS NOT for them (and visualize cougars and bears oh my). 

LOVE the photo of the antlers and apples. I laughed out loud. It's awesome. What a great idea!

Glad you're having rain. Our woods are on fire again - wish we were having rain. 

Thanks Madison.....the main thing I like about the antlers is you can really push the apples on there for a firm hold. Animals can either pull them off with hands lol or chew them off, and the latter always leaves pieces of apples as evidence of this:) 

• Upvote 2

The straps were joined by the typical male/female plastic clip, and were pulled tight to stay on the tree. They were still clipped together on the ground around the tree, but the straps were lose.

Yeah, or strength....those clips have to be held a certain way to create slack in the line, but you can't get the proper angle when strapped tightly to a tree, and must be unstrapped to get the proper angle.....I have a pic of it laying on the ground and will look for that, but might be MIA from my computer crash several years ago.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few pics from recent hikes....a larger print above and one that I made below for comparison, some fresh Sotol discards along the trail, and a Black & Yellow garden spider, which are huge, that I almost face planted....yeah I was looking intently at the ground for the dang snakes:)

1BP.jpg

1AP.jpg

A-Sotol.jpg

A!-spider.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's one big impression in your first picture if what I think is the impression encompasses the width of what I'm seeing between your shoes.  Are these in an area you've been before?

Edited by wiiawiwb

On 8/2/2021 at 10:09 AM, Bigtex said:

I should point out that I never ever put any technology in my main area....after many years of putting out game cameras, it's obvious that animals know these devices are there, so why not the big guy. I posted these 2 pics several years ago, and show what the big guy does when he finds these, IMO. First pic shows what appears to be a very large hairy forearm reaching around the tree from behind, and the next pic shows the game-cam on it's way to the ground, and where I found it.

BF Right Forearm.jpg

BF Right Forearm - Next Pic.jpg

Did your friend ever release his thermal footage that you mentioned before?

Hey wiiawiwb.....yes, one of my main hiking areas for many years, and an area that I used to hike with my wolf so she could be off leash with little chance of running into people, it is thick & remote. 

I talked to my good friend just the other day about his footage, he took it using a satellite phone at his ranch and can't find it (of course, the BF curse).....they are still having activity, so I'm going out there for a few days after it cools off.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic