Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

• 3 weeks later...

Been on hiking sick leave for about 3 weeks with covid, it wasn't too bad, didn't require a doctors visit, thank God for that, and hope to get back out there this weekend....wonder if the hairyman has missed me (or the apples), lol. Hope you guys are safe & well out there!

• Upvote 2

Thanks NW, appreciate that......after my post yesterday, realized how stir crazy I was to get out there so I did. Not a long hike, but had no issues and felt good. Here's an older neat pile of Sotol, and a ground hornets nest discarded along the trail, they seem to love those hornet grubs.  

AS-1.jpg

AS-2.jpg

AH-1.jpg

AH-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having some cooler weather......here's a fairly decent juvie print, if you look closely you can see toe impressions, this was a trackway heading down to a water source, and was the best one.

1P.jpg

These prints were in a trackway coming up from a water source, and look like juvie prints, 3 had some toe definition. 

1P-J.jpg

1P-J2.jpg

1P-J3.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice prints. Good recognition skill to be able to see the prints in the pine needles/dirt. That would be very easy to miss.  Do you bring along a ruler or tape measure to use as a point of reference? How about casting...do you do that at all?

Hey wiiawiwb.....thanks, yeah those are 'Cedar' leaves aka Juniper. I try to get my 10.5" long shoe in the photos for comparison. I've got limited time in the woods, lots of ground to cover, so moving fast......a few quick pics & moving again, plus I've never done any casts before, takes too much time. Here's a question for you pistol guys, never owned a pistol (kids) before but I need something, no more Wolf or Ridgeback to clear my path, and have been running into critters I don't wanna mess with, pigs, bobcats, cougars, I've seen a black jaguar years ago, no thanks on any of those, what do I need guys??? 

I think a 10mm is an excellent all-around woods gun. Get flat-nose, hard-cast bullets that will penetrate. I use the 10mm when my buddy carries his .44 cal revolver.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/10mm-auto-220-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose.html

When I'm out alone, I always carry my Ruger Toklat .454 Casull.  The reason is that if something is coming at me, I don't want it terminally injured yet still coming toward me. I want it down on impact. Here's an example:

https://youtu.be/XYxVbTA6LEs?t=207

Edited by wiiawiwb

3 hours ago, Bigtex said:

Hey wiiawiwb.....thanks, yeah those are 'Cedar' leaves aka Juniper. I try to get my 10.5" long shoe in the photos for comparison. I've got limited time in the woods, lots of ground to cover, so moving fast......a few quick pics & moving again, plus I've never done any casts before, takes too much time. Here's a question for you pistol guys, never owned a pistol (kids) before but I need something, no more Wolf or Ridgeback to clear my path, and have been running into critters I don't wanna mess with, pigs, bobcats, cougars, I've seen a black jaguar years ago, no thanks on any of those, what do I need guys??? 

I carry a 1911 in .45 ACP. A great classic, and lots of mods are available. Been kind of yearning for a Glock in 10mm though. Or, like @wiiawiwbmentioned, a big bore wheelgun. Alas I am left handed so I will stick with a semi auto. 

Been kinda wanting this just to tick off snowflakes...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/magnum-research-desert-eagle-presidential-50-ae-pistol-brushed-stainless-de50srmbc3.html

One of the issues, especially nowadays, is the availability of ammo and the cost thereof.  The larger the caliber, the more the cost, generally speaking. In order to be proficient with that particular firearm, you have to practice until handling and firing it is second nature.

It helps to reload so your can control the power factor. A softer round for when you practice helps because firing full-power rounds from a big-bore revolver isn't always fun. A side benefit to reloading is the significant reduction in cost/round especially in light of today's ammo prices.  For those who wish to begin reloading, there is a scarcity of equipment.

@NorthWind Sweet gun. I looked at the DE 44mag in a 47oz handgun. 8 rounds and it would probably feel like shooting a 9mm from the DE.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the great info guys, I've heard the .45 ACP has good stopping power because it's a slower round, isn't that what you want? The .454 was in the video has the wow factor, but too big. I've never heard of the 10mm, shows how much I know, what about availability of ammo for those? 

Edited by Bigtex

You can still find 10mm fairly easy and it sometimes is the only pistol ammo left on the shelf around here. Currently .45acp is running 45 cents per round and 10mm is about 20 cents higher per round.

As far as ballistics, the .45 is bigger, but the 10mm has more punch. Put some flat hardened nose bullets in there and you're ready for bear, literally. Check the attached charts.

There are some great youtube vids out there. Search for both .45 vs. 10mm and 10mm for bear gun.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 8.09.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 8.12.17 PM.png

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic