Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Hey Stonewall12......this is Central Texas, West of Austin, and Ft. Hood is North 80 miles or so.

Here's an odd looking rock face, and would really like some feedback on this. It almost looks like very old masonry wall, with some type of mortar. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

post-193-067673700 1295307151_thumb.jpg

post-193-073780200 1295307165_thumb.jpg

post-193-027791200 1295307177_thumb.jpg

post-193-067067900 1295307190_thumb.jpg

BFF Patron

Looks like some pockets or mineral seams are in there perhaps. Do you have marble or white quartz outcrops in that section of TX?

Here's a video of my little private pool, and source of a lot of wildlife activity. Also, a video of one of my camps that I keep 'open', and my torn up tent.

Well......no video I guess, goofed something up, oh well.

Here's a great find that I made today, and will use with one of my camera traps.......low tech meets high tech. I'm always looking for natural ways to conceal cameras - look at this beautiful stump! Also found a fresh Deer kill, or what's left of it, down where I park to hike one area. It's a dead end road to nowhere, lot of those out here........right Shado?

post-193-099503800 1295404942_thumb.jpg

post-193-009023800 1295404968_thumb.jpg

post-193-067877300 1295405048_thumb.jpg

post-193-066988900 1295405088_thumb.jpg

Guest vilnoori

Wow, that would make a great hidey hole for a camera! But I understand the cameras make too much noise as well? And possibly emit smells? flashes of light? That's a pretty good road to nowhere. Ours are narrow and full of potholes, with missing culverts (rivers and streams flow over them), precipice drops on the side, sometimes saplings growing from the middle, trees fallen across or rocks to get around...you are lucky! lol

Guest tracker

Hey Big Tex,

Texas looks really nice, I was hoping to see pics. It's funny how some Canadians believe Texas is mostly a desert and some Americans think Canada is covered with snow all year around. :D

I like your info on the cougars, on occassion up here they will attack.

I would like to read about your encounters and so catch up. How would I locate them?

You have posted some great pics for us, so i got one for you of a wild and very dangerous woodland creature from the north below. Watch out for these guys partner they bite!

ps. We came across this guy while hiking in Algonquin park Ont.

DSCF0122.jpg

The cameras make a little noise, and of course the flash.....but the subject has already said "cheese", and it's too late:) Don't know how much the cameras smell, but I paint the whole thing flat black, everything except the lens and flash, all lettering, even the view finder on the front side......gotta minimize reflections on the camera.

Great photo Tracker.....cute little thing, would hate to eat him.

Been getting a little rain, and a before and after of that at my little pool.

Here's a video of a day old Deer kill, not much left, and a Coyote den nearby.

post-193-091933700 1295478474_thumb.jpg

post-193-031889000 1295478501_thumb.jpg

Dear Kill.htm

Coyote Den.htm

Edited by ChrisBFRPKY

BFF Patron

Hey Big Tex,

Texas looks really nice, I was hoping to see pics. It's funny how some Canadians believe Texas is mostly a desert and some Americans think Canada is covered with snow all year around. :D

I like your info on the cougars, on occassion up here they will attack.

I would like to read about your encounters and so catch up. How would I locate them?

You have posted some great pics for us, so i got one for you of a wild and very dangerous woodland creature from the north below. Watch out for these guys partner they bite!

ps. We came across this guy while hiking in Algonquin park Ont.

DSCF0122.jpg

That little guy looks like he's been eating good Tracker, Carnivore huh? Funny I heard they could raise up on their hind legs and were bipedal too? :P

Edited by bipedalist

Guest tracker

Man you wouldn't believe how fast those little blighters are. I 've always been good around animals wild or tame I can't really explain it. For some reason they trust me? And no Noah or Grizzly Adams jokes please I heard them all before. dry.gif

You never know about entering a public Forum, there are some real crazies out there. Our Mods at this Forum are doing an excellent job keeping any trouble makers in check, but other places......well, not so much. I had posted a Video here on page 3, 'Bigfoot Shack Part 2' on YouTube so I could post it here.......did anyone find it offensive in any way? I have received emails from a group of bigfoot nuts who are trashing me and the video, laced with colorful metaphors, and insults. I mean this one guys rant is just crazy. If anyone liked the video, give me a thumbs up or make a comment. If you don't like it, give me the thumbs down, and some meaningful comments, minus the metaphors:)

You never know about entering a public Forum, there are some real crazies out there. Our Mods at this Forum are doing an excellent job keeping any trouble makers in check, but other places......well, not so much. I had posted a Video here on page 3, 'Bigfoot Shack Part 2' on YouTube so I could post it here.......did anyone find it offensive in any way? I have received emails from a group of bigfoot nuts who are trashing me and the video, laced with colorful metaphors, and insults. I mean this one guys rant is just crazy. If anyone liked the video, give me a thumbs up or make a comment. If you don't like it, give me the thumbs down, and some meaningful comments, minus the metaphors:)

I thought the video was facinating and informative. Sorry you had Crayzee's flipping out.

Thanks Grayjay, I appreciate it!

Now.....let me try to post these other two YouTube videos I took, and hopefully the crazies will enjoy this time:)

Now let me try to get the other one to post;

Deer Kill.htm

Coyote Den.htm

Edited by ChrisBFRPKY

What a gorgeous day in the Texas Hill Country........a nice hike, and found some great tracks. However I was disappointed with the photos, and am going back tomorrow to try again. Here are two good pictures, a beautiful little pool, and an older print of a huge hog.....his heal picked up some sticky mud, and made the print look bigger. This beast has gotta be 600+ pounds, what do you hog guys think? Also found a nearby area that looked like a mini excavator had been through there.

As Mentioned in the last post, I found some interesting tracks, in particular a fresh track-way consisting of 4 tracks, with two more definable, and pictured below. The area is what I call The Funnel, picture below, which is the only bridge for many miles in either direction that critters can cross (under) the road undetected, and enter my little town, the beautiful 'Entrance' picture below. It was under the bridge that I found the track-way, and is a very narrow section of sandy creek under the bridge, hence The Funnel. This is a great place to see many different kinds of animal tracks. The tracks I found are about 7" long, with the typical wide toes, narrow heel, and slightly curved shape. Tracks were fresh, probably the night before I went through there the first time. One track pictured is half in, half out of the creek, and is hard to make out in the photo. I outlined the track in a thin blue line. The heel portion of the print that was in the water created a slight suction during the lift-off phase of the step, lifting the lighter sandy material from the heel outline, and producing a heel outline in the slightly darker colored heavier material......look for that. The other was in deeper sand, and the impression filled with water.

Took a short video of the Funnel and this print 2 days later, but the other print was pretty much gone........and will post the video later.

Here's the video of The Funnel I took 48 hours after finding the track-way, with only the deepest print made still visible. The main creek runs runs under the bridge, and is a very narrow corridor, tons of tracks coming and going of many different spcies.

post-193-052820500 1296262678_thumb.jpg

post-193-057633100 1296262711_thumb.jpg

post-193-099506700 1296429148_thumb.jpg

post-193-094407800 1296429177_thumb.jpg

post-193-026366500 1296429244_thumb.jpg

post-193-069121600 1296429272_thumb.jpg

Lordy......it was in the 80's and gorgeous just a few days ago, now 18.......Brrrrrr now. A couple of pictures from yesterday......out gathering firewood.

post-193-045990700 1296752648_thumb.jpg

post-193-049988700 1296752677_thumb.jpg

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic