Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

This is the rare and hardly ever seen Luna Moth, it is one of the larger native American silk moths, and the only one with swallow tails. After looking at recent Game Camera photos of animals, and finding this Moth, maybe it's just 'business as usual' for all the critters in the woods, in spite of the heat & no rain.

Edited by Bigtex

Guest Biggie

Yes....about 6 inches long, and was smaller last year, of course. This is a very good detail print, I have never done a cast, and scared I will mess this up. Until it rains again, it's like a brick. Any good casters in the area? This print is really amazing.

Until you find someone to cast it you could put a bucket over it with a large rock on top to keep the rain off the print(and any critters too) if it does rain.

I'm not familiar with casting but from what I remember reading about it I think it's a fairly simple mix and procedure although different people prefer different products. You could look up cast threads on forums and research it. I remember the BFRO having a thread about it awhile back. If the print is hard then I wouldn't believe you're likely to mess it up by pouring a cast. You could pour a test cast elsewhere first too and see how it turns out.

I agree Biggie......need to get this casted soon. Don't think covering it will work though, it's in a dry creek bed, and when it finally rains, it should be a near biblical event. I have never done a cast, and would hate for this to be my first......should be some kinda 'How To' on Youtube I would think, and will do a test on something else first.

Here's a question....PLEASE folks, would like opinions; the print has months of small debry blown into it......should I blow w/o touching as much of that out first before I cast?

post-193-058739900 1314387998_thumb.jpg

Doing some Spring cleaning, and found this in an old box.......kinda sent chills down my spine good & bad. Pictured below was the Spring Brochure that came to my parents house advertising Camp Grady Spruce, which I went to that summer for the month of July. This was the cover photo, and shows the Brazos River trip that they do......which made me want to go, which I did end up doing. Of course, ran into a Bigfoot on my little Brazos trip, literally, and it was this **** photo that made me wanna go in the first place! I looked at this picture all Spring, and thought to myself......I REALLY want to do that!

This innocent little picture started a chain of dominos that is still falling for me.......weird to think about, but it starts here for me.

Shado.....recognize the bend in the picture? Yup......same bend where we camp, and you can tell how much higher the River was then.

Hey, Bigtex. I just read through this thread today... Very intersting! However, I'm new on the forum, so I'm having to catch up. This brings me to ask you a question:

Could you elaborate on your "Of course, ran into a Bigfoot on my little Brazos trip, literally..." statement? I, for one, would love to hear about the encounter.

Nice to meet you and thanks.

See-Te-Cah NC

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC

Hello See-Te-Cah NC, and welcome to the Forum! I had reported the sighting years ago to the BFRO.net folks. Go there, and look under Texas, Palo Pinto County, and July 1969. The picture below is a recent picture of our camping area, and the cliff face described in the sighting report. The area to the extreme right of the photo is where we ran off the cliff, and landed in low bushes.

post-193-013752000 1314390690_thumb.jpg

Hello See-Te-Cah NC, and welcome to the Forum! I had reported the sighting years ago to the BFRO.net folks. Go there, and look under Texas, Palo Pinto County, and July 1969. The picture below is a recent picture of our camping area, and the cliff face described in the sighting report. The area to the extreme right of the photo is where we ran off the cliff, and landed in low bushes.

Thanks, Tex.. I'll head on over and check it out.

Guest Biggie

Here's a question....PLEASE folks, would like opinions; the print has months of small debry blown into it......should I blow w/o touching as much of that out first before I cast?

Yes that's what I would do. I wouldn't touch anything unless I had to and even then it would be very lightly. I'd say start with light blows at first and if that doesn't do it then work your way up to blowing a little harder. It shouldn't disturb the print blowing kind of hard since the ground is hard but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Here's an interesting slab of rock.....it is some ancient shoreline, with the ripples in the sand clearly visible from the wave action. The porous grey colored rock stuck to the lower section, appears to be volcanic ash that covered this ancient beach, forever preserving these 'ripples in time'.

post-193-058180300 1314636048_thumb.jpg

Guest Biggie

Is the water warm enough where you can swim in that pool with the waterfall posted on the first page of this thread Tex? Beautiful place there.

My private pool has been closed this summer, no water. Hoping enough rains are coming to fill 'er up and have a few swims this year. The pool is about 15' across by 20' long, 6' deep in the shallow end, and 12' in the deep, with an excellent natural high dive.

post-193-095337400 1314651887_thumb.jpg

More healthy looking animals doing just fine in the heat, but they mostly come out at night anyway.

The wrong end of a Skunk, his little friend, and a Grey Fox......I had baited another area with food, placed on the ground this time.

*Footnote......keep forgetting to change the date and time, anything on here from the Bushnell will be recent.

post-193-036191800 1314717959_thumb.jpg

post-193-005400200 1314717978_thumb.jpg

post-193-003511500 1314717999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Hey TKD....hope you have been well!

Unfortunately, the rains will miss us, and needs to hang a left before New Orleans, and dump all it's fury on us!

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic