Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Hunters, and I'm sure othe river travelers use this camp site. It was weird with the rocks 'n cans deal though, and was definitely some type of security device to announce any intruders. I have heard of BF people doing this, but also maybe whoever stayed there last time was scared of something. Last Friday night, my first night there, heard an amazing number of very weird noises all night long, and me & my buddy had no clue what was making them. It was a loud thumping noise, and sounded like heavy footsteps running around our camp......totally weird, and nothing the next night. However, we found the turds neatly placed just outside of camp, in both directions heading out of camp, the next day. Possibly the same thing happened with respect to the sounds, and the previous campers got scared, and erected an early warning system with the cans. It took time to rig the cans, so someone must have been pretty scared. This wasn't a hunting technique at all, can any of you guys think of another reason for this? FYI.....all the cans were soda pop, not beer or anyhing like that.

How were the cans setup? Obvious in the open, or concealed some what?

Close to creak it could be pot growers.. many a time did we get pot growing around the Lago area.

Would gather soil from the gullies and 'surprise' some specific things would sprout.

If not concealed is this a semi public camping area? Could be kids playing..

Would discount our cross-border pals as Lago isn't or hadn't been a stop over place.

just a thought..

Hey Wheelie.....hope you are well friend. This was not in Lago, but in a very remote campsite I use in North Texas, and on the Brazos River. It is only accessible by the River, and 16 miles of paddling, with a few places that involve getting out of your boat in low water areas, and dragging it along.

The Can deal was hastily built using white cord with the cans spaced about 3 feet apart. It was easy to see day or night. The cord was wrapped around the lower part of surrounding trees, and pulled tight in a semi-circle around camp, with the cord raised about 2 inches off the ground to catch a step......not a very good way at all of setting something like this up. It was put together like it wasn't planned at all, someone was scared, and wanted to know if anything came into camp at night. That's the feeling I got anyway, looking at it first hand. I certainly wouldn't bring kids here, and is not at all what I would consider a family type of hang-out......lotta work to get there, and they would get spooked at night. Also, you have to know the camp site is there, as it can not be seen from the River.....I first camped there in 1968.

Doing some Spring cleaning, and found this in an old box.......kinda sent chills down my spine good & bad. Pictured below was the Spring Brochure that came to my parents house advertising Camp Grady Spruce, which I went to that summer for the month of July. This was the cover photo, and shows the Brazos River trip that they do......which made me want to go, which I did end up doing. Of course, ran into a Bigfoot on my little Brazos trip, literally, and it was this **** photo that made me wanna go in the first place! I looked at this picture all Spring, and thought to myself......I REALLY want to do that!

This innocent little picture started a chain of dominos that is still falling for me.......weird to think about, but it starts here for me.

Shado.....recognize the bend in the picture? Yup......same bend where we camp, and you can tell how much higher the River was then.

post-193-000434300 1301964113_thumb.jpg

You nailed it. There were two things I noticed about the picture right away: 1) I knew where it was and 2) the river was much higher.

Spiffy stuff.

Pretty cool to find the old Brochure, Page 1 of my BF Scrapbook! I should have mentioned......this was the summer of 1969. Same bend in the River, but closer in, a few days ago.

post-193-009995900 1301965526_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great print, and only minutes old........my print though. It's a good idea to study your own prints, the conditions they were made, and the resulting print. I was in a fast-pace mode, and you can see where the the front/toe portion of my foot pushed a mound of soft soil back towards the middle of the print. Anyway......this helps me to try and recognize prints in the field, you can learn a lot just by studying your own.

I should have mentioned.....look at the dead leaves, red berries, and live vegatation that seems unaffected by the seconds old trampling. I sometimes confuse this with older prints, with new vegatation growing through, but it is actually old vegatation recovering instantly......good food for thought:)

post-193-012831800 1302711236_thumb.jpg

I should have mentioned.....look at the dead leaves, red berries, and live vegatation that seems unaffected by the seconds old trampling. I sometimes confuse this with older prints, with new vegatation growing through, but it is actually old vegatation recovering instantly......good food for thought:)

post-193-081135800 1302742417_thumb.jpg

Guest vilnoori

Doing some Spring cleaning, and found this in an old box.......kinda sent chills down my spine good & bad. Pictured below was the Spring Brochure that came to my parents house advertising Camp Grady Spruce, which I went to that summer for the month of July. This was the cover photo, and shows the Brazos River trip that they do......which made me want to go, which I did end up doing. Of course, ran into a Bigfoot on my little Brazos trip, literally, and it was this **** photo that made me wanna go in the first place! I looked at this picture all Spring, and thought to myself......I REALLY want to do that!

This innocent little picture started a chain of dominos that is still falling for me.......weird to think about, but it starts here for me.

Shado.....recognize the bend in the picture? Yup......same bend where we camp, and you can tell how much higher the River was then.

Wow, amazing!

Good print there. It's rare that a picture shows that much detail, but I can clearly see the mound that you're referring to. Good stuff. =)

Thanks for the posts guys......can anyone tell if I was wearing shoes?

If we ever had snow down here, I would do extensive experiments with tracks in snow, has anyone ever done this? All we have is mud, but that ages in a totally different, and predictable way. Snow, on the other hand, would have many variables that would affect the impression made, and the aging process.

You look like you're wearing shoes to me, but it's honestly difficult to tell. I've been assuming that the print was of your shoe'd left foot.

BitterMonk has some good stuff involving tracks both in snow and out. Let's see.... here: The Pondering Possum.

That is just amazing, I can see muddy water on a leaf near the slidy part. Now I am going to have to scroll alllll the way back through this thread and look more closely.

Nice work!

Edited by Smitty in Florida

Yes.....left foot and I was wearing shoes, but you can hardly see any sign of the shoe.

Man.....it is very dry in Texas. Was out yesterday scouting a rather large Blackberry patch, and little to no fruit rippening. The creeks are drying up into small isolated nasty pools......WHERE ARE THE SPRING RAINS?

I have to do a few of mt hikes without the dogs, as there is no place for them to drink......we need water!

BFF Patron

Guess the rains hit N. of you and made it into NC because we are rolling in H2O this spring. Some cascades I haven't ever seen flowing at the levels we've got this Spring. Crazy weather for sure. Grieving for the huge loss of life from tornado's around Eastern NC this morning and realizing the blessing was there wasn't a greater loss of life.

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic