Bigtex

Need Help In Central Texas.........

bipedalist
BFF Donor
On 1/7/2019 at 6:14 AM, NCBFr said:

I was told by moderators on arrowheads.com that these two I found in Guilford county NC are called stem points and from the Savannas and are are roughly 3-5K years old.  I cannot imagine finding something 10K years older.  The one on top is missing the point and the one on the bottom is missing a shoulder.  

lhV86ljTaIswNXRSvU6fjakZufwkt02CNp0Jpgumde_SgyZ1Y_3g0BjiCjW4GbeY-w_MbRSmEMk4A8nIojmdO2LTKz4eD9JYhNh7Eay48go5os-K10DenXqTCBoYMmXXOiYDkN70wwdmwK6KzyfT7QFs3TahYy-g9qok6k-zhAchtXnWoeGTtAtZuFPRJB1AsmER6JLMpV5nT5jpZyPFcshbC2eycMVwOfVvUe8O5F8olPINb4kAPeG7U1OCDEHaqtExVH-U1SbLxUwbEXQgI1TzHYuc7BJkLB0MOufeBwEmUNEvXDiDOoBZ-0lK-yPS3PL8VdZJR7pWdKFWRJyZgsdlbOj1CO5iu2NHp0jVQ5uhvCaD_6Hjc9669LeFR39g9rC77kMgD-V8tAhSDNcPVywnvfUAc7TLSTMk70r3qTE4k-vb7oLy3PHFs0g4v7SZIL69vFO9gtgTGcbY-69e3aNyS-gdNWvgk1_epqLNjP8PlKZadl2SN29OPG1ANzMLGdhA-7nmZSzhq2xYnp7CqLittpm9imkUaQs7mhYlOaG7NN3Bl8Bo_j1U_Y7b7WaFwBp9XrusViM9SxxJWmh8gHXgMWGRSC5OsMkSc22p_3UzJYfz8UoMTW0bs6fWvsQqaPRVy8m8cS1uuDHany5diz5JCw=w185-h247-no

I'd like to see the points but it seems the graphic file is corrupted or did not load ?

NCBFr
BFF Donor

2_arrowheads.thumb.jpg.05becf1c63a5f434390ed34dff763602.jpg

Catmandoo
BFF Donor

^^^^^ Stem points. Did the moderators inform you that stem point design originated in Korea?

bipedalist
BFF Donor

Thanks for the pic, several of the attachment ends are similar to paleo-Cherokee items I have, meaning the asymmetrical flaking for hafting where one side is more of an acute angle chipped out than the other for attachment to a shaft is similar in many of mine and with your two examples above.  I am wondering if the asymmetric nature of it was a survival design to leave more material so not as many discards/failures occurred?  I do not know enough about the historiography/archaeology of the differing cultures and points to say much more.

This has always been a curious element of many of the finds that I have.   I have no ability to take pictures of them now but will post them up when able to show the similarities to what you have there. 

I only have one large spear point with the top third of the point missing from the site I described above in my earlier post, it is a beautiful yellow quartz one. and I believe it has the asymmetric haft aft (not to be confused with half assed 🤓 ) . 

Edited by bipedalist