Bigtex

Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Welcome to the BFForums Northwind!

I started experimenting with store-bought game-cams around 30 years ago, have had many over the years, still do, but they just don't work well for BF research, and ditto for the higher apex animals too, IMO......they know it's there. I have tons of animal pics where the subject is looking right at, sniffing, or biting a store bought game-cams. Over the years I realized their limitations, and built something specifically for the Hairymen and other apex predators. 

Here's a really nice huge hairy arm taken with a Bushnell, which reached around the tree it was attached to grab the Game-cam, and the 2nd pic is the one taken as it was on its way to the ground, and where I found it.

BF Right Forearm.jpg

BF Right Forearm - Next Pic.jpg

Edited by Bigtex
  • Upvote 1

Catmandoo
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

BigTex,

I am interested in your camera trigger setup. Are you able / willing to disclose how you have them set up?

Thanks 

Go back to page 112 of this thread to see an overview of Bigtex's set up.   Crunchy peanut butter is the optional extra. ( in a pinch, you can eat your research or just sample the PB for quality control purposes )

Bigtex

Now that's funny Cat!!! Maybe that's why they aren't taking it.....too old! Better get some fresh stuff I guess, better for them, and me in a pinch:)

Madison5716

Beautiful prints! Your wolf is gorgeous. 

Bigtex

Thanks Madison.....welcome to the Forums:) Lulu is a big ole spoiled baby, amazing creature for sure.

Bed Hog Wolf.jpg

NCBFr
BFF Donor
On 2/12/2019 at 5:39 PM, Bigtex said:

Yesterdays hike ended up quite an extraordinary experience.......my sweet Lulu the wolf is coming into heat, and I've had issues with Coyotes before when she's in this condition, but this time it was a lone Wolf. He followed us for miles and eventually back to my truck. Obviously it was cool for me to see a wild wolf, he was totally cool, but stayed in the shadows mostly, and near impossible to get a good pic of......zoom in. Beautiful beast, either a Mexican or Red wolf, any experts out there? My female Grey is about 90 lbs., and he diffidently looked bigger.   

Wolf 1.JPG

That is really a spectacular photo if it is red wolf.  My only conern is that males over 90 pounds are outside their usual range.  It sure looks like one.

Bigtex

He's probably not as big due to this time of year and his winter coat, which can really make them look big.....by July, he'll look smaller after he sheds the winter coat. As far as Lulu, the amount of fur from her winter shed would fill 2 large Hefty yard bags!

NCBFr
BFF Donor

as owners of several huskies over the years with males in the 85 pound range, I understand that amount of shedding.

Bigtex

Had a nice hike earlier today over to the Gift #2 area, and the Peanut Butter jar from last Spring is finally gone! A before and after picture, plus the pups - particularly Lulu - spent a great deal of time sniffing around the area. I was there 2 days ago, and before leaving I left 2 apples right by the PB jar (placed after I took the pic), they were gone too. There is some good BF activity near the Gift #2 area due to the increased pig activity along the nearby feeder creek coming down from the hills.  They seem to be hunting them nightly in this location, high-five for that Hairyman! Some nice tracks as well, and a few below that weren't there the other day.......need to hang out here some night soon for sure, no tech stuff though, maybe they have finally forgiven me from last year.

Gift Area 2 - Before 2.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Print 152.jpg

Print_153.jpg

Print_154.jpg

Print_155.jpg

• Upvote 1