So They're Presumedly Smart

Guest gershake

Guest gershake
Even if we can't outsmart them, which personally I find the very thought to be silly...
Is it silly? Most people here assume bigfeet are primates. Primates are intelligent. (See also: Koko) Some other people (a minority?) think they are some type of humans, even. So why is it unimaginable that they might be, let's say, AS smart as us? Isn't this the type of egocentrical thinking that had us assume the Sun revolved around the Earth some centuries ago?

NB: I'm not saying they ARE as smart as/smarter than us. I just wonder why people think they can't be.

Is it silly? Most people here assume bigfeet are primates. Primates are intelligent. (See also: Koko) Some other people (a minority?) think they are some type of humans, even. So why is it unimaginable that they might be, let's say, AS smart as us? Isn't this the type of egocentrical thinking that had us assume the Sun revolved around the Earth some centuries ago?

NB: I'm not saying they ARE as smart as/smarter than us. I just wonder why people think they can't be.

I think it depends on how you define intelligence. If you are using human standards,then they are not as intelligent as we are because there is no indication of tool use, innovation, or imaginative thinking. Some reports describe concrete problem solving skills related to survival, but that's about it. What little is guessed at, based on reports, is simply speculation. The fact that no one has found any evidence of their existence means that they are truly smart enough to hide or they are on the brink of extinction, assuming they exist at all.

Guest Lesmore

Lot of assumptions there. Number one, we don't know if BF even exists.

Then, anyone thinking BF is a primate is guessing. Some type of human (also a primate)...again, guessing.

Smart as we are.....who knows, but it is doubtful, given the fact that it is not known...for sure...that they exist.

Edited by Lesmore

I'm not saying they ARE as smart as/smarter than us. I just wonder why people think they can't be.

Because they can't build houses, chimney's, make clothes, read, write, make glass, and about a hundred other things humans can do. Even the remotest humans in the remotest parts of the world make clothes, cook their food (for the most part) and build shelters.

(real shelters too, not little stick structures)

Guest gershake

@Lesmore: Well yeah, I'm just too lazy to add "let's assume for a moment that they exist" to every post I make. I'm as aware as anyone else that there is no proof. Assuming they exist, what else than primates could they possibly be, in your opinion? (I'm also aware that humans are primates.) 

Edited by gershake

Guest gershake

@WTB: You listed some activities exclusive to humans. There are activities exclusive to bigfoot (allegedly their uncanny imitation skills, for example). What do chimneys, glass and cooking have to do with intelligence? Bigfeet (let's assume here for a moment that they exist...) sure seem to do well without chimneys. :D

Bigfoot Intelligence can not be defined in conventional terms. I see it this way; if we go to the Mall to shop, we can drive there, park, shop, and find our way around easily. Put a Bigfoot in the Mall (as long as no one pays him any mind), he's totally lost, has no idea what to do, and lord help us if he drove. Put most people in that same Mall deep in the woods, and do they know what to do, or how to survive? We are brilliant in our world, and he is brilliant in his.

@Lesmore: Well yeah, I'm just too lazy to add "let's assume for a moment that they exist" to every post I make. I'm as aware as anyone else that there is no proof. Assuming they exist, what else than primates could they possibly be, in your opinion? (I'm also aware that humans are primates.)

Oh I think they would be a type of primate that branched off somewhere along the evolutionary tree. They would very smart (in the context of a wild animal) to have not gone extinct and to have avoided concrete detection this long. I would also expect them to be a lot smaller than reported. If they're real and were sited, I think the mind would play tricks on people and exaggerate the size. Take the following real life example. The woman in the story below was being completely genuine, and she did see an upright, fairy bi-ped run across the road. But read what her mind made of the situation.

http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/bigfoot-is-big-fake-in-fairfield/

I think they would be around five to six feet tall.

@WTB: You listed some activities exclusive to humans. There are activities exclusive to bigfoot (allegedly their uncanny imitation skills, for example). What do chimneys, glass and cooking have to do with intelligence? Bigfeet (let's assume here for a moment that they exist...) sure seem to do well without chimneys. :D

Why I don't think they're as smart as us was asked. "Us" means "humans". By what other point of comparison should I use then?

Show me that BF skyscraper.

Guest gershake

Same point I made above: Why is it intelligent for humans to build skyscrapers? I suppose because you can house a lot of people/offices in there. What good would it do a bigfoot to build a skyscraper? I think it would be stupid for them to build skyscrapers actually! Why would they waste their time to build one if they could just sleep in the woods? (Again, not that I think they COULD build one!)

Bigfoot Intelligence can not be defined in conventional terms. I see it this way; if we go to the Mall to shop, we can drive there, park, shop, and find our way around easily. Put a Bigfoot in the Mall (as long as no one pays him any mind), he's totally lost, has no idea what to do, and lord help us if he drove. Put most people in that same Mall deep in the woods, and do they know what to do, or how to survive? We are brilliant in our world, and he is brilliant in his.

No, we are brilliant in both worlds. And, if Bigfoot exists, we are all around a lot smarter than he. Just because we can't see with echolocation or a pigeon can navigate better than we doesn't mean either is as smart as humans. Really guys, come on.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

No, we are brilliant in both worlds. And, if Bigfoot exists, we are all around a lot smarter than he. Just because we can't see with echolocation or a pigeon can navigate better than we doesn't mean either is as smart as humans. Really guys, come on.

I think if you take the average person out into the wilderness, drop them off and expect them to survive, their survival time is likely measured in days. Chris B.

Guest gershake

I'm sure that at the very least half of all humans wouldn't survive if forced to live in the wilderness for, say, six months without any supplies.

EDIT: What Chris said. :D

Edited by gershake

Same point I made above: Why is it intelligent for humans to build skyscrapers? I suppose because you can house a lot of people/offices in there. What good would it do a bigfoot to build a skyscraper? I think it would be stupid for them to build skyscrapers actually! Why would they waste their time to build one if they could just sleep in the woods? (Again, not that I think they COULD build one!)

You're kidding, right? Why is it intelligent to build a skyscraper was not the point. I know you're smarter than this so I assume you're just playing.

The point was we are intelligent enough to build them.

If you want to play word games all day then I can be silly too. Let's say BF wouldn't build skyscrapers because you think it would be stupid of them to do so.

But, could they build one to prove their of equal intelligence to us?

See, this is where you get all esoteric and start playing the semantics game about the definition of intelligence ect ect ect.

Listen, folks, if BF is real, we have no evidence of schools or universities for BF's. Didn't everyone here go through school?

This thread has gotten ridiculous.