So They're Presumedly Smart

Guest gershake

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

Chris B should have started this topic instead of me because he can put into words what I think much better than myself. :D

This is a super topic and I'm enjoying reading the posts. You guys are doing great. I'm just throwing my .02 cents in.

Chris B.

Edited to add: gershake, this is a super topic and you're doing a great job . I wouldn't change a thing. :D

Guest gershake

I apologise for this thread. (I think) it was my first one here and I clearly should have waited a little longer...

EDIT: Or not? :D

Edited by gershake

Guest Lesmore

@Lesmore: Well yeah, I'm just too lazy to add "let's assume for a moment that they exist" to every post I make. I'm as aware as anyone else that there is no proof. Assuming they exist, what else than primates could they possibly be, in your opinion? (I'm also aware that humans are primates.) 

I agree with WTB1 and I quote:

"I think they would be a type of primate that branched off somewhere along the evolutionary tree."

I posted this same material in another thread, there is no mention of the use or creation of technology in any of the current definitions of "Intelligence".

Intelligence is an umbrella term describing a property of the mind including related abilities, such as the capacities for abstract thought, understanding, communication, reasoning, learning, learning from past experiences, planning, and problem solving..... wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

Scientists have proposed two[citation needed] major definitions of intelligence:

from Mainstream Science on Intelligence (1994), an editorial statement by fifty-two researchers:

A very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.[1]

From Intelligence: Knowns and Unknowns (1995), a report published by the Board of Scientific Affairs of the American Psychological Association:

Individuals differ from one another in their ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to the environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning, to overcome obstacles by taking thought. Although these individual differences can be substantial, they are never entirely consistent: a given person's intellectual performance will vary on different occasions, in different domains, as judged by different criteria. Concepts of "intelligence" are attempts to clarify and organize this complex set of phenomena. Although considerable clarity has been achieved in some areas, no such conceptualization has yet answered all the important questions, and none commands universal assent. Indeed, when two dozen prominent theorists were recently asked to define intelligence, they gave two dozen, somewhat different, definitions.[2][3]..... wiki

Guest gershake

I agree with WTB1 and I quote:

"I think they would be a type of primate that branched off somewhere along the evolutionary tree."

Then why did he even feel inclined to say this? 

Number one, we don't know if BF even exists.

Then, anyone thinking BF is a primate is guessing.

I think we do use our instincts. It takes just as much effort to survive in the civilized world as it would for us to survive out in the wild. Not everyone relies on this instinct or intuition,though, hence the reason we have the darwin awards, but don't sell us short on that respect in general. I know my sense of intuition has gotten me out of a lot of rough spots that may have cost me my life. Ask any police officer or fire fighter what I am talking about. This is definitely a type of intelligence we exhibit.

Edited by Jodie

....So why is it unimaginable that they might be, let's say, AS smart as us? Isn't this the type of egocentrical thinking that had us assume the Sun revolved around the Earth some centuries ago?

NB: I'm not saying they ARE as smart as/smarter than us. I just wonder why people think they can't be.

In many ways, they may be smarter. For example, we've all seen the U-Tube footages of young people doing clearly stupid things, such as skateboarding off of buildings, riding motorcycles off of ramps and doing flips and such, etc.

Do we see animals of any type doing such stupid things?

Sometimes it is undeniable that humans are the most stupid creature in existence.

Guest Lesmore

Then why did he even feel inclined to say this? 

Because I don't think BF exists.....but if there were such a creature, then I would say this would be my vote.

Call me an open minded skeptic. I never say never.

You're kidding, right? Why is it intelligent to build a skyscraper was not the point. I know you're smarter than this so I assume you're just playing.

The point was we are intelligent enough to build them.

If you want to play word games all day then I can be silly too. Let's say BF wouldn't build skyscrapers because you think it would be stupid of them to do so.

But, could they build one to prove their of equal intelligence to us?

See, this is where you get all esoteric and start playing the semantics game about the definition of intelligence ect ect ect.

Listen, folks, if BF is real, we have no evidence of schools or universities for BF's. Didn't everyone here go through school?

This thread has gotten ridiculous.

WTB1, wouldn't it make sense if BF were smart enough to know he was no match for us as an army. So the "smart move" for him is to not build skyscrapers, or leave much of any sign, or build fire. It's more likely an evolutionary adaptation that it is so robust , hairy and "smart" or it would be extinct.

Guest TooRisky

Bigfoot Intelligence can not be defined in conventional terms. I see it this way; if we go to the Mall to shop, we can drive there, park, shop, and find our way around easily. Put a Bigfoot in the Mall (as long as no one pays him any mind), he's totally lost, has no idea what to do, and lord help us if he drove. Put most people in that same Mall deep in the woods, and do they know what to do, or how to survive? We are brilliant in our world, and he is brilliant in his.

Kudos my friend I could not agree more....

And yes Sasquatch exists if even in your mind, and no this species is not a monkey... IMHO

There's very little evidence that BF exists, let alone that they're smarter than us. And humans using skateboards for recreation doesn't mean that humans as a species is not smart.

There's very little evidence that BF exists, let alone that they're smarter than us.

But there is evidence that they exist (or existed), and if that's true, that would prove that that a science industry capable of putting man on the moon thoroughly hoodwinked itself into believing that they don't exist.

That would clearly show that they're smarter than even the (supposedly) smartest men.

And humans using skateboards for recreation doesn't mean that humans as a species is not smart.

But it proves that some humans (both the ones performing these stupid acts as well as those who find these acts "entertaining") are clearly more stupid than the average porcupine. Perhaps they're on the same intellectual plane as a lemming.

However, since sasquatches (if they exist) have clearly made monkeys out of the majority (all) of our scientists, it appears clear that they are more intelligent than scientists are.

Question for WTB1.......how much time do you spend in the wilds, camping, hiking, and trying to understand nature?

Look, I've had my run-ins with WTB1, we've sparred a time or two. But why does it so often come to this? It's sorta like the schoolyard boast "Mine's bigger than yours" (whatever it might be).

Oh, and fwiw, I'm an old hunter who has spent plenty of time in the woods, camping, fishing, and communing with nature. But if one can't respond to points made by a poster without the 'ole canard of time spent in the woods, then you're not truly engaging in the discussion.

My humble opinion only.