Habituation As A Concept.

Guest fenris

I would say this situation is a habituation only in that the owners were engaged in the habit of feeding wild animals (on outward appearance if there accounting is truthful). If they fully well suspected that they were feeding an unknown primate or hominid and continued to do so I would then think that BF habituation was occurring as I have understood it. To take it a step further, if they had been sound recording or setting up gamecams, hair traps and other such devices I would then feel they had taken the corner and were setting up for habituation. Once they began finding a couple human shaped footprints or bootprints the wheels must have been turning. I'm only surprised they were not awakened by animal cries and moans unless the animals were killed elsewhere and deposited at their door (which it sounds like they weren't even though somebody or something was obviously picking up dogs and moving them around if somebody found a dog in a sheep pen that had no access way). I would imagine they had to keep some form of windows open in that area in late May due to heat. They must have heard alot.

They were in fact feeding wild animals; birds, deer, racoons and O'possums. They had absolutely no knowledge that the area was inhabited by Bigfoot. But it was; for dead certain. When that fact became apparent to them, they became tolerent ("habituationed")of their presence and learned to live with it. They saw the evidence, but had not the least interest in gathering or documenting proof for "science". They heard all the typical sounds, and learned from them. They were from a city, they just accepted the fact that their home was in the home range of a group of Bigfoot.

I have not been exposed to any habituation claims that pass the smell test for me - they always seem to fall apart when focused and deliberate questions are asked - inconsistencies arise, then the claimant takes their ball and goes home. I am not saying here that I believe all claims of habituation to be deliberate fake/hoaxes, but I have not been exposed to any I believe to be what they are represented to be - yet.

I believe that these animals exist, and I would like to believe they can be approached under the right circumstance, but I simply find it hard to accept the type of interaction and the variability of the various stories. The descriptions of the animals and their behaviors are too disparate in my opinion.

That said, the projection of human characteristics seems to occur whenever we spend long periods of time with any animal, moreso animals that actually look a bit like us - thinking here of long term observation of Gorillas and Chimps.

So in that respect, the tendency to anthropomorphize them seems to actually follow established trends when people are observing other animals.

I am on the skeptic side of the fence for habituation, but it sure would be cool.

Guest ajciani

I do think that bigfoots could become habituated to the human presence, but I think such habituation would only manifest itself in altered behavior while near human dwellings. Specifically, they may alter their normal activities to engage in brief bits of voyeurism, and maybe even attempt to illicit responses from humans.

The most believable story of habituation I ever heard came from a native American hunting guide, who claimed he discovered bigfoots liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and that they would perform favors (of their own volition) in exchange for them. The most exhibited favor was to carry elk carcasses back to the hunting camp, again, of their own volition, and under the cover of darkness. The story even detailed how he used PB&J sandwiches to bribe the bigfoots out of hiding so that a younger guide could "meet" them. Even though the bribe worked, the guide and his protegee had to back off many yards from the sandwiches and take a seat. The bigfoots approached cautiously, the older warned the younger not to approach the humans, took the sandwiches, and they left.

So even on the friendliest of terms, bigfoots would seem to remain extremely cautious and standoffish. It is quite possible, that the above described behavior is the most habituated any adult bigfoot will ever become.

Since this is about habituation as a concept, I've got one going on at this very minute. The subject has been showing up in broad daylight. Her hair is all grey too. Sometimes getting into things she shouldn't. Oh yeah, I know she's a she because her nest is nearby and the young-ins were with her all the time this last Fall. I actually had to start shooting into the ground at their feet because they were just getting too comfortable around here and no telling what they would get into when I wasn't around. I was leaving food out for them all the time and that was probably a mistake. So I stopped for a few months. However now that the young ones don't seem to be hanging around anymore and its Winter, I've been leaving them nuts on occasion. When I don't, she has learned to scratch at my back door or wall because she has figured out that I will bring food out in response. She'll even take it from my hand. So no, I'm not exactly sure who is habituating who here either? I feel so manipulated but I also demonstrate trust by not trying to harm her anymore. She even comes inside the back door now when its open and waits for me to give her food by hand. I guess I should mention its a Grey Squirrel before someone gets the wrong idea. lol

But the point is, we do have the means and knowledge to create relationships with other species. Yes some may be their intent but some is ours too. Trust building IS a two way street!

Now if I could just get it through that squirrels head that my fingers aren't peanuts. But at least she lets go when I scream nor does she bite down too hard. ohmy.gif No blood yet anyhow, hopefully she is figuring out what not to try to grab. What worries me though is that after she mistakes my finger, she just stands there waiting for me to give her the real one. Yeah, who's habituating who?

MagniAesir,

A few years ago we (our small group) tried to figure out just how they hide in plain sight. Well it's very easy, dress one of your kids up in red and blue colored clothing. Then ask him/her to try to hide from you in very dense brush and trees during daylight hours. A hobby farm will do. They have to be able to see you but not get caught by your camera. The results are amazing and very telling. Please come back and show us your results.

Now try that with a shadowfolk covered in hair. Hair that seems to have a translucent property in the bright sunlight. It really doesn't look at all like ours. Good luck!

Sunflower. Can you give us some detail on this experiment? I mean, did you get any pictures at all? Did the kids have anything to say as to how difficult it was to evade their pursuers? Cheers.

Guest vilnoori

Since this is about habituation as a concept, I've got one going on at this very minute. The subject has been showing up in broad daylight. Her hair is all grey too. Sometimes getting into things she shouldn't. Oh yeah, I know she's a she because her nest is nearby and the young-ins were with her all the time this last Fall. I actually had to start shooting into the ground at their feet because they were just getting too comfortable around here and no telling what they would get into when I wasn't around. I was leaving food out for them all the time and that was probably a mistake. So I stopped for a few months. However now that the young ones don't seem to be hanging around anymore and its Winter, I've been leaving them nuts on occasion. When I don't, she has learned to scratch at my back door or wall because she has figured out that I will bring food out in response. She'll even take it from my hand. So no, I'm not exactly sure who is habituating who here either? I feel so manipulated but I also demonstrate trust by not trying to harm her anymore. She even comes inside the back door now when its open and waits for me to give her food by hand. I guess I should mention its a Grey Squirrel before someone gets the wrong idea. lol

But the point is, we do have the means and knowledge to create relationships with other species. Yes some may be their intent but some is ours too. Trust building IS a two way street!

Now if I could just get it through that squirrels head that my fingers aren't peanuts. But at least she lets go when I scream nor does she bite down too hard. ohmy.gif No blood yet anyhow, hopefully she is figuring out what not to try to grab. What worries me though is that after she mistakes my finger, she just stands there waiting for me to give her the real one. Yeah, who's habituating who?

Dang. You had me going there. LOL