What Sounds Have You Heard Or Recorded, That Suggest It Could Be Bf ?

southernyahoo

S/Y,

Biggie or not that's awesome/scary stuff! How close were you to whatever on the first recording and what equipment are you useing?

Generally coyotes won't vocalize quite that close to you. We set out an array of inexpensive digital voice recorders and use a rediculously cheap microphone for these recordings. Recording at close proximity to the vocalist is 9/10 of the battle in getting great recordings. You just have to get lucky from there, and have the dedication to review 100's of hours of audio to find those close clear vocals. We pull out of that particular spot after dark and listen from a nearby road.

I like to pull this one up and listen to it from time to time. I recorded it with my home built parabolic at about 300 yards. Coyotes have a way of growing on you after a while, The name on this one says it all.

awesome-coyote.wav

gigantor

I wouldn't imagine that is a bigfoot or coyote. It sounds like a very large dog.

I agree, it sounds kinda like this:

but wolves in Mississippi?

Edited by gigantor

Imo,

Cool stuff what recorder/mike are you using?

Thx

Cervelo, that track was recorded with a Samson Zoom H2

http://www.samsontec...cfm?prodid=1916

It has some very impressive quality built in mics. I usually only use it with the internal mics, as it has a preamp that is a little on the noisy side, for use with an external mic. Still, I have gotten acceptable results using it with my dish.

I would not hesitate to recommend it, to anyone looking for an entry level field recorder. I have several other (more expensive) recorders, but the Zoom is staying right along side them in my pack.

The first two-tone whistle at 26 secs has some metallic overtones surrounding the two notes? Have you ever figured that part out?

That to me is more intriguing than the down notes you mention in the time periods above, seems very intentional down-notes and not bird-song.

BP, Not sure what is causing those overtones (maybe distortion... due to the distance of the sounds from the recorder (?) )

I haven't figured it out, or any of the other vocalizations and whistles. That's why I bumped the discussion on the clip...because ( like many of my recorded sounds in my "unknown " file...I'm still quite stumped, and would love to get to the bottom of the source(s).

I'm not hearing "yodels" there, I'm hearing two-note whistles that sound very human in origin. Is that right, or am I missing something that really does sound like

?

Your flight calls sound thrushy to me - check out this resource for comparison. Cool stuff!

There's nothing in the recording that sounds much like Slim...lol. I hear sharper two note whistles, as well as a series of vocalizations (that I haven't considered as whistles) , that sound to me...more like an "ahh - whooooooooooo". The nature of this ascending call... reminded me of a short yodel. I hear another vocalization that sounds like an "ahhhhhhhhhhhh" , a flatter vocal.. that does not ascend.

I agree, the whistles do sound human.

Thanks for IDing the bird flight calls, as a species of thrush. I have wondered about what was flying over the reorder, during the fall night flight.

Cervelo, that track was recorded with a Samson Zoom H2

http://www.samsontec...cfm?prodid=1916

It has some very impressive quality built in mics. I usually only use it with the internal mics, as it has a preamp that is a little on the noisy side, for use with an external mic. Still, I have gotten acceptable results using it with my dish.

I would not hesitate to recommend it, to anyone looking for an entry level field recorder. I have several other (more expensive) recorders, but the Zoom is staying right along side them in my pack.

The description and capabilities are interesting....price??

The description and capabilities are interesting....price??

It has fallen (from original list price) into the $150 range... but can even be had for less, on certain internet sites. A google or ebay search, will give you many opportunities, if interested in purchasing one.

One more note.. both myself and another investigator, have had the recorder get wet (not submerged...lol) , and it still functions fine. So far,so good, and it has proven to be very field worthy.

This is just a real close capture of a couple coyotes going off. Each coyote can be a little different, just their usual caterwalling.

coyotes 3-12-10.mp3

This recording has a 9 second call that rises and falls then it does a bit of yipping which is as close as coyotes get to a whoop. It also has a nice yodel at the end.

RC-coyote.mp3

Now for comparison, I think this file contains real whoops, at the begining and is then followed by distant coyotes going off.

Whoops 5-04-08 0227hrs.mp3

This is the paired recording of the same event as above except this recorder was closer to the yotes, with the whoops barely audible in the distance.

Neches coyotes-5-4-08.wav

Great clips for reference here, SY...Thanks. Appreciate any references and recorded clips, of the stranger, uncommon sounds... of known wildlife. There have been some good ones offered my members, in this thread. Coyote and Barred Owl, are the biggest foolers ...and a challenge for field recordists.

Thanks Imonacan!! I was worried how it would do if it got damp...like as in being left outside to record. :)

Sunflower

Some researchers use condoms, this is not a joke.... :ph34r:

southernyahoo

Using a foam windscreen with the mic pointing down will allow most rain water to be shed without damaging the mic, (this is why we use cheap ones) and the recorder can be placed inside a water proof container. Spray a little scotch gaurd on the foam windscreen and you've got a winner.

bipedalist
BFF Donor

bump