Specialized Vehicles Used By Forum Members

Guest Lesmore

My buddy has a Yamaha Rhino.....

If I was to do it, I'd get a 6x6.

An Alaskan born & raised friend (and older than I) has used all the kinds of rigs you can imagine, including horses. He now runs one of these.

PolarisRanger6x6-2.jpg

They are very expensive, just like the new Argos.

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 HD 4x4 with the Cummings diesel. Bought it new and it has not let me down. Its an auto and I get about 23 hwy, 18 city, but when pulling a big trailer, maybe 13-14.

Once at my cabin, that rig gets parked and all use when there is not too much snow, is a 2003 Foreman 4x4 with 2000lb winch. My backup is a 1996 Honda 300 4x4 (most reliable atv ever made, IMHO). When the snow gets deep, I use my 2006 Polaris RMK, 600 HO. That sled will go just about anywhere and since I am usually alone, I cannot afford to get stuck.

The only problem for me with rigs like Argos, Rhinos and the Razr, is the width. The area I spend most of my outdoors time in is very thickly wooded and the current trails or the ones that I make, I need something around 48in max and need to carry my Husqvarna as well.

What I really want badly is an ultralight aircraft. I have about 12 hours training on one, but have not bought one. The thick woods are another obstacle in using one up there.

Guest VaBigfoot

I tried to find a photo and specs of the research vehicle Will Dranginis built but I can't seem to locate any info on it. I saw it on one of those BF shows and that thing was awesome. Maybe he'll post some photos, if he drops by to read this section. I seem to remember someone saying he sold it.

Masterbarber,

I did sell the Bigfoot Research Vehicle about 5 years ago. The vehicle was outfitted with thermal cameras, one was a NightSight 200 mounted on a 30 foot crank up mast that came out of the vehicle from the inside. It also had a generator, ground to air communication, 3rd gen night vision camera, a 360 degree camera system I made as well as audio recording gear and wireless cameras that could be deployed up to a mile away. The wireless cameras transmitted the audio/video to the vehicle where it was viewed and recorded. It was also cool because it was also a mini museum as I carried lots of footprint casts and information about past research. Primatologist Jane Goodall even spent 2 1/2 hours in the vehicle, we talked about her research, as limited as it was concerning the Bigfoot creatures.

The vehicle was sold because it was not getting me any closer to seeing the creatures after my sighting in 1995. It did cost a small fortune to operate as it was getting about 8 miles to the gallon and driving around the Mid-Atlantic area was very costly. The vehicle was first sold to Adrian Erickson and Dennis Pfohl, but they backed out after winning the auction on EBAY. The vehicle was eventually sold to a Denver Colorado private detective agency. The monies helped fund the purchase of some land and a cabin in the hills of West Virginia where I've set up a full time research station. By full time I mean the property and surrounding woods are being monitored 24/7/365 using video cameras as well as GSM cell camera systems I will be selling. The GSM cameras use cell phone technology in its design and will take a couple pictures when activated by the built in passive infrared detector. Once activated, the pictures are sent to my cell phone within seconds so I can see what activated the system. I can then call the camera from my cell phone and direct it take more pictures or let me listen in the live audio. The next version that will be coming out in January will let you view live video from the camera anytime using your cell phone.

I will be building another vehicle sometime in the future as part of my EyeGotcha Security Products business and it will be a showcase for many new camera security systems I'll be selling. For now, my 2002 Jeep wrangler is my vehicle of choice.

William Dranginis

Manassas, VA.

post-108-057090500 1291053299_thumb.gif

post-108-072374800 1291053312_thumb.gif

Edited by VaBigfoot

The only problem for me with rigs like Argos, Rhinos and the Razr, is the width. The area I spend most of my outdoors time in is very thickly wooded and the current trails or the ones that I make, I need something around 48in max and need to carry my Husqvarna as well.

Actually, it hasn't been the thick woods impeding my Argo due to width, since the Argo can nearly turn 180 degrees under it's own footprint. Where width has been a problem is at man-made obstacles, primarily railroad bridges that have pedestrian/ATV "catwalks" built on them, and bollards placed to keep ATVs/UTVs out.

What I really want badly is an ultralight aircraft. I have about 12 hours training on one, but have not bought one.

Years ago Mrs. Huntster strictly prohibited me from owning aircraft. With numerous friends falling out of the sky over the years, I have come to appreciate her wisdom........

New Duramax pickups are far superior to the Dodge's in my opinion. They seem to pull better than the Ford's despite a claimed higher tow rating by Ford. This is the same as my Rigs thread, maybe the two should be combined.

Admin

Thanks for posting that, VA. I just remembered how Bad-Ass that vehicle was and I was amazed at all of the equipment you installed in it. Looking forward to the EyeGotcha vehicle when that comes about.

That's what we call them up here, too. Before the ATV explosion, we used homebuilt rigs like that all the time. Some were built on commercial truck frames with Kaiser-Jeep "duece-an-halves" axles and drivetrains, but later we found that Dana 60's, with free floating, 2" axles, had plenty of strength for what we needed, so essentially a 1 ton pickup could be built up into a wonderful swamp buggy, and much lighter than the monster trucks.

if you havent already click on the link where i posted that pic earlier for the car & driver article on the critter getter,thats not your typical home built rig. the guy customizes them, better pics in the article, you can get them w/ card tables, built in coffee makers, shooting stations,even a stripper pole :blink: for $ 340,000 you ought to get something :D

Edited by slicktrick

if you havent already click on the link where i posted that pic earlier for the car & driver article on the critter getter,thats not your typical home built rig. the guy customizes them, better pics in the article, you can get them w/ card tables, built in coffee makers, shooting stations,even a stripper pole :blink: for $ 340,000 you ought to get something :D

Oh, no doubt. Our home built rigs weren't for riding a patio party around. They were strictly hunting rigs, and the lighter, the better.

Guest Grazhopprr

I've had an 84 Ford, former church window van, for about 12 years now. It's a standard van, but extended about 3 feet to the rear. Took the seats out, it's carpeted and lined. 351 Windsor with a 2 barrel. About 12 mpg with 2 gas tanks. I can sleep on the floor, and take a literal ton of equipment on it's radical knobby tires. Used it for gold panning, logging road scouting, then BF camping. Been great for a home base. It has a turning radius of a school bus, but if I can't go there in that, I don't need to go there. I'm not much for deep thicket 4 wheeling.

Guest TooRisky

well not many serious real owner research vehicles... Below is a 85 Toyota 4-Runner completely rebuilt from the frame up by me and friends... this vehicle was built specifically for off-road research, but unfortunately met its demise in a head on collision on its maiden voyage....

pose1-1.jpg

pose6-1.jpg

This was my next project a 1977 Jeep Cherokee Wagoneer... She is WASRT's scout vehicle and is basically unstoppable... She has a big block AMC 401 engine, TB400 tranny with quadratrac and mile marker part time, D44 axles with 4:56-1 gearing, 7 inch suspension lift(no body) on 37" MTR tires... 12K winch, OBA, and much much much more... Still working hard for WASRT to this very day...

Jeepscout1-12-5-09.jpg

Jeepscout-12-5-09.jpg

RedJeep.jpg

Guest tracker

Geez after seeing pictures of these great trucks, Posting a pic of my army issue combat boots is not so cool anymore as my means of transportation. nice dry.gif .

Hows the gas prices in the US?

I got you guys beat, come up to Churchill Manitoba and you'll see what I mean!

http://www.canada-photos.com/picture/polar-bear-bus-bear-watching-303.htm

Edited by tracker

Guest Gunnsion

I have had small Broncos, big Broncos, full size and mini trucks, Jeep cherokees, a suburban and blah blah blah. I have liked them all for different reason but my last 3 choices have been Jeep Wranglers. My 200 TJ was to small so I upgraded to a 2006 LJ and now my latest is a 2010 4 dr Rubicon with the common off-road goodies. To haul the gear I designed and made an off-road cargo trailer which hauls all the camping equipment.

Guest TooRisky

I have had small Broncos, big Broncos, full size and mini trucks, Jeep cherokees, a suburban and blah blah blah. I have liked them all for different reason but my last 3 choices have been Jeep Wranglers. My 200 TJ was to small so I upgraded to a 2006 LJ and now my latest is a 2010 4 dr Rubicon with the common off-road goodies. To haul the gear I designed and made an off-road cargo trailer which hauls all the camping equipment.

Yeah I too have banged around the trailer idea as our group grows as well as the gear... The one critical factor is stopping the darn thing loaded on the road and off, because it has to be heavy duty to survive the many trips into the woods... But the idea of everything in the trailer, getting to the camp site and dropping it and then go on with business is very tempting...

2R

I like my Jeep...

Although if I were more high ranking and knew somebody that knew somebody I bet I could get a humvee from the unit.

But until that day, I'll stick with a Jeep

Although if I were more high ranking and knew somebody that knew somebody I bet I could get a humvee from the unit.

Ever see these?:

id_m973_susv_03_700.jpg

It's a SUSV ( Small Unit Support Vehicle ). US Army Alaska (USARAK) used them extensively. We don't see many of them in daily use anymore, but they're still here and still used, mostly for winter operations.

But they float.........

They'll essentially go anywhere.........