Specialized Vehicles Used By Forum Members

Guest Lesmore

Ever see these?:

id_m973_susv_03_700.jpg

It's a SUSV ( Small Unit Support Vehicle ). US Army Alaska (USARAK) used them extensively. We don't see many of them in daily use anymore, but they're still here and still used, mostly for winter operations.

But they float.........

They'll essentially go anywhere.........

Negative, but I bet if you talk to some of my active duty friends they might have. Because they all thought they were going to some place nice like Hawaii or Japan or one of those, instead they all ended up in Alaska...

Negative, but I bet if you talk to some of my active duty friends they might have. Because they all thought they were going to some place nice like Hawaii or Japan or one of those, instead they all ended up in Alaska...

Usually, when troops come here for training, it isn't in summer when the weather is nice and the fishing is best. They come up for winter, Arctic training.

Brrrrrrr!

Guest TooRisky

Here is my rig.

Pretty set-up... ya may wanna set up an low branch type indicator to prevent what I have seen some do... Rip a huge hole in the camper from a low lying tree limb while off road...

Usually, when troops come here for training, it isn't in summer when the weather is nice and the fishing is best. They come up for winter, Arctic training.

Brrrrrrr!

Oh no, they are there for a permanent duty station... hahaha!

Huntster, on 08 December 2010 - 06:19 PM, said:

Brrrrrrr!

Oh no, they are there for a permanent duty station... hahaha!

If they're stationed at Ft. Wainwright or Eielson AFB, they're really learning what Brrrrrrr means.................

• 1 month later...

What truck, SUV, or Jeep do you use to get you into the more remote parts of the country? What gets to out to where the Sasquatch may roam? I just picked up a 2003 Z71 Silverado. Lets see some pics!

164848_534464104619_212801505_31414785_1881051_n.jpg

To tell y'all the truth I could swear I started a thread like this a long time ago but it may be on the old site.

Guest Lesmore

What truck, SUV, or Jeep do you use to get you into the more remote parts of the country? What gets to out to where the Sasquatch may roam? I just picked up a 2003 Z71 Silverado. Lets see some pics!

164848_534464104619_212801505_31414785_1881051_n.jpg

To tell y'all the truth I could swear I started a thread like this a long time ago but it may be on the old site.

A similar thread is already running, In the Field:

Edited by Lesmore

I used to stay in this... blacked out the windows, removed the rear seat, fold down the middle row, and it's basically a camper.

PIC00018.jpg

Then in 2009 when my father passed away, he left me some money I'd have never expected, so I bought these to get to where I'm going and staying. All used, but in good condition. Word to the wise for towing, always get something bigger than you THINK you'll need. The Excursion can and does pull that camper with the buggy in it, but it's a 5.4 v8, and dang if it doesn't have to work it's butt off towing a little over 6000#. Wish now I'd found a diesel or a V10.

2000 Ford Excursion

2008 Coachman Adrenaline Blast

2008 Bad Boy Buggy

2009IndianaBigfootRig.jpg

If I only spent a few days or weekends a year out in the field, I'd still get by with only the suburban, but if you plan on spending a good deal of time out there, there's no reason not to do it more comfortably when practical.

Geez after seeing pictures of these great trucks, Posting a pic of my army issue combat boots is not so cool anymore as my means of transportation. nice dry.gif .

Hows the gas prices in the US?

I got you guys beat, come up to Churchill Manitoba and you'll see what I mean!

http://www.canada-photos.com/picture/polar-bear-bus-bear-watching-303.htm

Going to Churchill is on my bucket list.

I will make it there one day

Guest Grazhopprr

I used to stay in this... blacked out the windows, removed the rear seat, fold down the middle row, and it's basically a camper.

PIC00018.jpg

Then in 2009 when my father passed away, he left me some money I'd have never expected, so I bought these to get to where I'm going and staying. All used, but in good condition. Word to the wise for towing, always get something bigger than you THINK you'll need. The Excursion can and does pull that camper with the buggy in it, but it's a 5.4 v8, and dang if it doesn't have to work it's butt off towing a little over 6000#. Wish now I'd found a diesel or a V10.

2000 Ford Excursion

2008 Coachman Adrenaline Blast

2008 Bad Boy Buggy

2009IndianaBigfootRig.jpg

If I only spent a few days or weekends a year out in the field, I'd still get by with only the suburban, but if you plan on spending a good deal of time out there, there's no reason not to do it more comfortably when practical.

That Excursion is using half it's horsepower and torque, just to move itself, let alone tow anything. Horsepower/weight ratio should always be taken into consideration with something you're considering for actual work. A cargo van would have been a better choice, with a diesel. The camper as a base, the van as the scout/hardware carrier. Put some radical knobbies on it, and you can go anywhere a truck can go.

I love the Suburbans. I had an "88 for many years (with the tailgate). I did tow an older pop up camper for awhile, but often found myself not being able to turn around, on some of the (newly explored) one lane tight forest roads, with dead ends. More than once, I had to disconnect the camper to turn the vehicle around and get out...lol.

I now leave the camper home, and have an "02 Suburban.. that still suits my needs very well, for 2-4 day outings. I mostly tent it, but the Suburban makes for comfortable sleeping, if need be.

The Ford Excursion, Coachman, and Buggy... look like a nice set up, for extended stays in the field.