Why Do Some Want To Believe So Much?

Doc Holliday

BFF once again consists of skeptics,believers & fence sitters. ALL SIDES ARE WELCOME IMHO.ive noticed posts where some say they want to believe in sasquatch. im interested in BF,would like to see it proven if possible,but not so sure that i want to believe. as an avid outdoorsman im not so crazy about the idea of an 800 lb ape-ninja sneaking up on me if im taking a leak in the woods :o

as a flip side to my skeptic ? topic ,what drives people who have not had a suspected encounter to want to believe in what seems to be such a controversial topic?

ONCE AGAIN,not picking on either side,no defensive measures need to be taken,im simply curious about those behind the bigfoot phenomenon as i am BF itself. :blob:

I think one thing that taints how a lot of people "feel" is simply the word believe. If we'd just take the word for what it really means, there's nothing wrong with "believing they exist", but human nature being what it is, we tend to attach wrong connotations to it.

I *think* most people really intend to mean that they *accept* the existence of bigfoot/sasquatch, but all too often we say, "believe".

Just a thought.

well,id say belief would be part of the acceptance process,imho,or acceptance part of the belief process....either way im wondering what motivates folks that want to accept/believe in this topic if they havent had suspected encounter. im assuming its the continued reports of sightings etc.,but i may be wrong, so im asking so as to better understand our fellow bff'ers. :)

I think one thing that taints how a lot of people "feel" is simply the word believe. If we'd just take the word for what it really means, there's nothing wrong with "believing they exist", but human nature being what it is, we tend to attach wrong connotations to it.

I *think* most people really intend to mean that they *accept* the existence of bigfoot/sasquatch, but all too often we say, "believe".

Just a thought.

Along with the derogatory term "bleever(s)." It's silly, condescending, and unnecessary.

JC,im guessing you know because of a sighting.you say guyinindiana knows too,ill guess for the same reason.(by the way,im NOT the one that gave his post a "red mark"earlier,someone else popped me w/one as well on another post) all i know is what i thought i saw a long time ago,but it was quick from a distance and couldve just as easy not been bf,so cant say that i know.

I accept that those who have had up close & personal encounters know within themselves what they saw and thus believe/accept.

in OP i was wondering about those who havent had an encounter that accept ;) its interesting to me why people w/out a stake in it get involved.as i mentioned,i assume its all the continued reports,but i dont know that for sure,so i thought id ask.

If they haven't had an experience themselves, then usually a family member or trusted friend has had an experience. Also, those that find the humongous tracks and piles of poo out in the middle of nowhere are usually convinced that bigfoot exists. All this splitting hairs over verbage isn't going to make it come off any sweeter, believer or acceptance, it is six of one or half a dozen of the other no matter how you look at it.

All this splitting hairs over verbage isn't going to make it come off any sweeter, believer or acceptance, it is six of one or half a dozen of the other no matter how you look at it.

you mentioned "isnt going to make it come off any sweeter"Jodie,i wasnt on the old bff very long before it closed,so maybe help me out here. is there a negative association w/ the use of "believe,believer,etc. that im not aware of?id read other posts using those words along w/ skeptic & fence sitter etc.& thought that was how folks referred to this. If not, im sorry, i did not realize id step on toes,that definitely wasnt my intention. as i mentioned before, just curious as to what drives folks involved in BF,simple as that. OK? :blush:

what drives people who have not had a suspected encounter to want to believe in what seems to be such a controversial topic?

Well I started out wondering about Bigfoot from family members talking about the subject. After watching movies/Tv shows and reading on the subject I just became that much more interested in it. Then when this wonderful world of Internet came around I spent countless hours reading about Bigfoot and other unknown critters. I think it might have been my first search subject if I remember right. That was way back when we used Windows 3.1 and all lol so way back.

Over the years I have had a couple of not sure encounters and even found a foot print I can not explain.

I would not go so far as to say I am a 100% believer as I have not seen one with my own eyes "Yet". But I would say I am over 75% sure they are a real animal.

Guest MOMOMaMa

I'll take a stab at this. I've never seen a Sasquatch, footprint, nor know anyone who claims to have seen one. My interest started as fear. As a young child I watched the Legend of Boggy Creek, the nightmares followed as expected.

Once I was able to get online and find information on every subject under the sun, ofcourse I had to search for Bigfoot. I marveled at the vast amount of research and the debating I found on the forums. As my knowledge of sightings and evidence increased I found I was in love with the idea of a huge hairy hominid lurking somewhere out there. So, I guess it's the idea of Sasquatch that keeps me going, the mystery and drama of it all is so exciting. Most of all it is fun! Life is stressful, Bigfoot is a relaxing pleasure I can secretly indulge in....plus I'm still scared to death of the big lug so I have to keep track of where he was last seen! :lol:

what drives people who have not had a suspected encounter to want to believe in what seems to be such a controversial topic?

I've made no bones about my sincere desire/want to believe in BF. So, I feel compelled to answer this question. Just understand that it is my opinion only, and the most sincere explanation of my stance I can come up with....

My interest in the subject originated with The Legend of Boggy Creek. I left the theater that day as a wide eyed and terrified child who was 100% convinced in the existence of BF.

Not too long after that, I forced my mom to take me and see *The Mysterious Monsters* as well as *Bigfoot...Man or Beast.* These only reaffirmed my belief in the creature as a real and viable flesh & blood animal.

An interest was sparked in me and I began to voraciously seek and read historical accounts and tales from NA's.

Over the years, I saw my level of belief ebb and flow somewhat. I describe myself now as a fence-sitter who leans towards belief. But, as a critical thinker I wonder how much of my level of belief is due to my sincerely wanting to believe.

It's miserable in all sincerity. My mind tells me that there should be conclusive evidence that is documented and accepted by science. There isn't to date. My heart tells me that there is too much there there for there not to be something there. Eyewitness accounts from folks that are woods-wise are hard for me to personally ignore.

So, I guess the most direct answer to your question is that I want to believe because I would hate to think that nearly 40 years of my life, with an intense interest in the subject, have been wasted and all for naught.

And, I think it would be beyond cool if the mystery were ever solved in the affirmative.

Skeptics and believers would unite and demand protection of the species and habitat to support it.

I'd dearly love to see that become reality during my lifetime.

Absolutely.

I believe in evolution, the big bang, and bigfoot (among other things). All three are theories formed on the basis of evidence. There's less evidence for bigfoot than there is for other theories, of course, but there more than enough, I think, to formulate a theory in which one could "believe".

As to why someone would want to believe, that's a much more interesting question. I think there's a deep-seated need in many people to want to think we haven't figured everything out. That there's still something beyond the next hill worth getting to. IMO, that's what drives many in this field. The mystery, the unknown, exploration and discovery. Those are the things that have driven mankind from the very beginning.

As soon as it's proven to be a real animal, I think many of those folks will move on to something else.

Like, apparently, quite a few folks here, my interest in Bigfoot was fired up by The Legend of Boggy Creek. Although the movie was scary, I don't remember walking out scared as much as I remember thinking "wow...that's VERY cool, but I hope I never run into one!"

For me, it's not a matter of "wanting to believe". It's more a matter of just having an open mind. A matter of not being arrogant enough to believe that we (as humans) are light years ahead, on the evolutionary road, of any other possible animal... or that we know all there is to know about what creatures may or may not exist on this planet.

Given that, I have no other choice BUT to "believe", if not in Bigfoot's existence, in the possibility of Bigfoot's existence.

.....I also believe that if I see/hear the phrase "critical thinker" again, that I'm going to barf. B)