Bigfoot The Protector And Hunter !

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

Hey Everyone,

Here's a less philosophical topic that's more hands on for us average guys and girls. Lets talk about how they may hunt and protect themselves.

It's safe to say that they silent stalk and may even use some tactical hunting techniques to kill prey. You know like driving and ambushing and even hunting in groups? I think so, that's not much of a stretch for smart creatures.

What about using rudimentary tools or weapons like rocks and clubs? We hear about them using these to scare people away. So what about for hunting too?

For example do you think they would scream and tree knock to drive deer into a dead fall or across an area with deep snow. They got natural snow shoes for catching the hoof types of game animals in deep snow. So in the winter time hunting may even be easier?

With that said how do you think they would adapt in the different seasons? Would they do things like roll in mud in an attempt to hide their scent or to keep off the bugs? Would they ambush hunt more in the summer using the cover?

What about protecting themselves and their family units? Would they use techniques such as perimeter patrols or scouts near their dens or weapons? Would it be both genders or just the adult males that would do this? Or would they all rest or go into cover at the same time during the day or night near dens? Would this also depend on the season?

I am not on the fence, I know they are out there. So hopefully we can talk about these things without the "if they are real" snags. dry.gif thanks, tracker

Edited by tracker

Fun Ideas

1. If I was a bunny.. I would not want one of the big ones coming down on me...that is a big foot.

2. Salad baby.. foraging season.

3. Some think, like the tiger.. the vocalization burst may paralyze the prey and if not still startle, it might be enough for the fleet footed ungulate to freeze in its tracks just a moment.. slow enough for the quick burst of the hungry sas.

4. If I was them the kids can play sentinel & work on their woodknocking.. before they were allowed to eat.. at the big table.

5. I remember a report (Texas) about the surprised deerhunter up on the treestand looking at a female taking out a BIG hog. I think mom is capable of many things. And predation and being mobile are among them. Power, skill & a womans touch.

6. I think they do what works and when it doesnt change up.. kinda like an NFL defense. Adjustments.

Winter thoughts:

1. I wonder about their mass.. although the snowshoe sized feet help perhaps in some things, I think they just sink. So that would obstruct snowwalking.. winter is full of mortality with the old and the weak.

2. There are tracks though.. and photographs. HOw many follow them ? I think groups split up a lot T.

3. Refer back to the military BFRO report on another thread with the unit of unarmed men tracking one up north.. at least some squatch dont seem too bashful to tell you things if they are unhappy.

Guest Lesmore

Hey Everyone,

Here's a less philosophical topic that's more hands on for us average guys and girls. Lets talk about how they may hunt and protect themselves.

It's safe to say that they silent stalk and may even use some tactical hunting techniques to kill prey. You know like driving and ambushing and even hunting in groups? I think so, that's not much of a stretch for smart creatures.

What about using rudimentary tools or weapons like rocks and clubs? We hear about them using these to scare people away. So what about for hunting too?

For example do you think they would scream and tree knock to drive deer into a dead fall or across an area with deep snow. They got natural snow shoes for catching the hoof types of game animals in deep snow. So in the winter time hunting may even be easier?

With that said how do you think they would adapt in the different seasons? Would they do things like roll in mud in an attempt to hide their scent or to keep off the bugs? Would they ambush hunt more in the summer using the cover?

What about protecting themselves and their family units? Would they use techniques such as perimeter patrols or scouts near their dens or weapons? Would it be both genders or just the adult males that would do this? Or would they all rest or go into cover at the same time during the day or night near dens? Would this also depend on the season?

I am not on the fence, I know they are out there. So hopefully we can talk about these things without the "if they are real" snags. dry.gif thanks, tracker

To begin with, I don't entirely close off the idea that BF may exist. I don't know for sure, but I do entertain that the possibility may exist.

But to clarify your thread, is it (thread) a collection of supposition(s), on how BF... may.... behave ?

I ask this, as am not aware of any long term observations of BF, by anyone, (except possibly Ostman's anecdotal report I think it was in the 20's) that would be able to confirm many of the ideas in your thread.

My concern is that sometimes when we suppose about how things may exist, without really knowing, one supposition builds on another supposition. Suppositions, in my view are interesting to discuss, but not a good foundation.

I don't mean to sound critical, that's not my intention. I just need some clarification about your thread and where you want us to go with it.

Les

Edited by Lesmore

Hey Les, I just read NO SNAGS about if they exist, just responses to how they MAY hunt or protect themselves. So.. seems pretty open but I am sure Tracker will comment. That is the way I read it anyhow..looks like a discussion tying reports that make sense together if that makes sense..

.....But to clarify your thread, is it (thread) a collection of supposition(s), on how BF... may.... behave ?

I ask this, as am not aware of any long term observations of BF, by anyone, (except possibly Ostman's anecdotal report I think it was in the 20's) that would be able to confirm many of the ideas in your thread.

My concern is that sometimes when we suppose about how things may exist, without really knowing, one supposition builds on another supposition. Suppositions, in my view are interesting to discuss, but not a good foundation.....

I think you're right, but "supposing" can be appropriate for something that we don't know about, as long as we recognize that it is supposition..........

Therefore, here I go:

I don't think sasquatches are big game hunters.

What, you ask?! Those giant, powerful monsters?! Not killers?!

That's right. Sorta'. Why?:

Because other great apes are not big game hunters...........except man. They're small game hunters (if they eat meat at all).

More, most of the reports I've read involving sasquatches and meat were with game such as ground squirrels and fish. I will admit that there have been some involving deer, and I believe that on occasion they will take deer (and, like black bear, will opportunistically take moose/elk calves), but primarily, I believe they subsist on vegetation and small game/fish/mollusks.

Defensive behavior? Defensive against what? The only real threats are bears (and black bears would only be a threat to sasquatch young), cougars (again, only against sasquatch young), venomous snakes (they likely become lunch), or...............man (easy to simply hide or run away from). The real natural threat would be from brown bears, and I suspect only the largest, mature boars would be tempted to attack such a large adversary (unless, again, it was a young sasquatch), and like I've pointed out repeatedly, sighting reports indicate that sasquatch densities are dramatically lower (if existent at all) in areas of high brown bear densities (just like black bears).

Guest tracker

Yea that's right treeknocker but also add personal experience. You may of read a reports stating the creature(s) did this or that. And the witness nor the reader may not of understood that the creature doubled back on the witness or was driving the witness towards another BF. Basic hunting and defence tactics.

So lets use what we have read and experienced to think and talk about their woodcraft abilities. Who knows, it may also come in handy to know when something is hunting you.

anyways this topic is of special interest with me and I would like to hear what other hunters/investigaters have to say. So lets keep it blue collar, no need to cross reference in the thread. :D

My personal opinion is that Bigfoot DOES hunt larger game. (at least deer, and wild boar, but not all the time). ALWAYS has a sentinal on duty, whether the group is asleep or awake. With the dominant adults working it in "shifts". Depending on location of habitat, hunting can be singular, with Mom staying near sleeping area, watching young children. Or as a group, to train adolescents to hunt for themselves. I think that as they get older, say "teenage", that they are allowed a little freedom to explore, forage, and hunt. All under the strict eye of the parent. If things get out of hand, the leash ,so to speak, is shortened up abruptly. When in close proximity to human habitat, care may be taken NOT to hunt/kill domestic animals so as not to attract human attention. Near farms, livestock may not be a target. Near water such as ponds and streams, flocks of ducks and Canada Geese may become staples if the flocks continue to nest nearby. Also crops of vegitables may be part of the seasonal subsistance. (Corn, legumes, tomatoes, cabbage, squash,etc.) In more populated areas, dumpster diving may be employed. Near neighborhoods, checking people's garbage cans nightly may be routine. Stealing dogfood. Eating cattle feed. They could be rather opertunistic in a given situation. In the right environment, they may not have to hunt/forage far at all from sleeping areas. Just my opinion. -Knuck

Guest tracker

I am thinking along the same lines as you knuck. Foraging/scrounging would account for the majority of their food resources. However taking down an Ram, Elk or even a bogged down Moose is not out of the question.

They won't pass up an opportunity to feed like most wild omnivours. Unless were in the area hunting as well. But then again I've read reports of the hind flanks of moose being torn off @ hunting camps while hanging at night. If it was a bear you would find claw or at least drag marks and a blood trail. So something powerfull was able to reach high up and tear flesh and bone and carry away hundreds of pounds of meat in rough terrain without making a sound or leaving a trail.

For those guys who don't understand how tough ripping raw flesh and bones off a carcass is. Try tearing off your uncooked turkey legs on the 25 th without your better half noticing and getting angry. :angry: Good luck with that !

Rub the top of your hand it will make the pain go away faster. :D

They may use some varriations of pack defense like wolves do when protecting their territory. A solo BF may have conflicts with the browns when they cross paths. I think a strong wolf pack would be their biggest constant threat. Which might explain why they hate all canines.

Edited by tracker

SSR Team

Hey Les, I just read NO SNAGS about if they exist, just responses to how they MAY hunt or protect themselves. So.. seems pretty open but I am sure Tracker will comment. That is the way I read it anyhow..looks like a discussion tying reports that make sense together if that makes sense..

That's how i read it too & Tracker, another cool Thread ... ;)

SSR Team

That's right. Sorta'. Why?:

Because other great apes are not big game hunters...........except man. They're small game hunters (if they eat meat at all).

I'm not saying you're wrong Hunster but.......................You say " except Man " & you're right, but the other Great Ape's aren't as advanced being Bi Pedal are they, unlike Man AND the Big Guy.. ;)

I don't doubt they are opportunistic feeders and the alpha predator in NA. I'm of a mind they bump off & eat deer, hogs, or elk with little effort and probably favor large targets over small (more cals gained for what is expended getting them). I think it's not a big jump if they do live in a troop type society that there is some cooperative hunting, but purposely using a buffalo jump or running critters into deep snow seems to me (and this is just my unsuppported personal opinion) probably a bit more advanced compared to the reports we have, but who knows?

Although there are reports of them throwing rocks & sticks to run humans off and to knock, they don't seem to have made the jump to using them as projectile weapons, or even impact weapons. God help us if they ever do and decide they don't like humans in their teritorries! Appears they prefer to just thump the hell out of their prey with their hands, or pound it against a handy solid object.

I'm guessing they do understand cover & the value of remaining motionless as concealment very well, whether it's instinctive or a higher thought process is anyone's guess. Even big animals like elk can be hard to pick out if they are standing still & screened by surprisingly light brush. I recall in Capstick's writings the same of elephant, how he had literally stopped to rest under the shade of one screened by light brush & standing still. Every experienced hunter here has had the experience of trying to describe the location of a deer they spotted to a less experienced companion, and wondering why they can't see what is so obvious to you.

With the wolves making a huge comeback out west and decimating deer & elk herds (thanks so much, animal rights loons) I've wondered if danger to young monkees has not increased? I'm guessing that like the big bears, once they reach a certain size they don't have much to worry about other than their kind and humans.

As an abstract thought, I've at times pondered if their conflicts with their own kind are more a show of force or deadly? For example when big bears of more or less equal size fight, there's no show about it. Same of a female defending her cubs from another bear. I bet a monkee-on-monkee dust up for a female or to decide who is the alpha male has got to make an MMA match look like a kindegarten recess squabble!!!

....the other Great Ape's aren't as advanced being Bi Pedal are they, unlike Man AND the Big Guy.. ;)

Perhaps not, and I'll agree that bipedalism may be a faster mode of travel on the ground. But I'll go farther with my assessment and note that even bears, as omnivores, spend more of their time eating vegetation than "hunting". In Alaska, they begin the spring by grazing on, of all things, grass, or sniffing out winter kills. Then they go after the first fish to begin anadromous runs; smelt/hooligan, or in interior areas where the anadromous fish runs are later or don't occur at all, they go after spring moose/caribou calves or deer fawns. Then the salmon runs are the feature of the eating year for a couple of months. Then comes the berry crop, which is a huge and important feeding frenzy.

So, essentially, even bears aren't the "hunters" that, for example, wolves (complete carnivores) are.

I believe sasquatches are similar. Even more, I believe sasquatch primary range is the wet side of the Coast Range, which is very sparse of the larger ungulates (moose/caribou), and more rich in fish/mollusks/seafood/vegetation.

While it's true that gorillas and orangs don't hunt, other primates do. Chimps hunt and eat meat, particularly other chimps. Baboons are also predatory if something gets close enough for them to get their teeth into. Neither of those are fast enough to chase down prey, but rely on opportunity and baboons hunt in packs. They also aren't known for taking big game, but neither are very big and do take game as big as themselves. If BF did the same, it would certainly qualify as big game.

I also watched some nature show that mentioned that winter was the time of plenty for carnivores and carrion eaters. Winter kill and hungry, weak prey made for good eating. It said that spring/summer when the prey was healthy and well fed was the time of year when hunters had hungry bellies as game was strong and spread out.

I think BF does hunt, but not all the time. I think they forage/eat small game, and the like most of the time. I think that when winter comes and plants/fruit get scarce they hunt much more. Animals are bunched up and hungry (read: slow and weak) and make easier hunting. There is also less competition that time of year as bears are out of the picture.

17x7

While it's true that gorillas and orangs don't hunt, other primates do. Chimps hunt and eat meat, particularly other chimps.

That is an incredibly interesting study in and of itself. Apparently, bonobos (on the south side of the Congo River) are less violent than common chimps (on the north side of the Congo River) and exhibit more sexual behavior, including homosexuality. Common chimps, on the other hand, often exhibit violence, including hunting down, killing, and even canniblism, of individual chimps from other troops. (Bonobos would rather **** than fight.) But the chimp-on-chimp hunting is not necessarily hunting for food. For example, aboriginal humans did the same thing as recently as a few hundred years ago right here in the New World, but nobody is claiming that it was done for nutritional sustenance. It appears to be more of a territorial protection behavior.

If sasquatches did this, I would think we'd find more evidence of them killing humans, which isn't so at all. Indeed, they show every indication of fear of us, which may even indicate that they were victimized by us in the distant past.

Baboons are also predatory if something gets close enough for them to get their teeth into. Neither of those are fast enough to chase down prey, but rely on opportunity and baboons hunt in packs. They also aren't known for taking big game, but neither are very big and do take game as big as themselves.

That is very true. Both chimps and baboons hunt small game, and I believe sasquatches do likewise.

If BF did the same, it would certainly qualify as big game.

I do believe that sasquatches hunt deer, which humans catagorize as big game. Notably, the Columbia blacktail and Sitka blacktail deer, the prominent deer subspecies in the PNW, are among the smallest deer in North America.

I also watched some nature show that mentioned that winter was the time of plenty for carnivores and carrion eaters. Winter kill and hungry, weak prey made for good eating. It said that spring/summer when the prey was healthy and well fed was the time of year when hunters had hungry bellies as game was strong and spread out.

I agree with that to an extent. It is certainly true that the major North American carnivores (wolves and cougars) are both active in winter while the omnivores (bears) are dormant or downright hibernating, and this is why I suspect that sasquatches are dormant in winter, but I don't know if I'd go as far as say that winter is the "time of plenty" for wolves, at least in Alaska. Their prey in winter definitely move through deep snow with more ease than they do, and even the previous summer's moose calves are large enough to stomp the life out of a wolf in snow. I don't think wolves ever have an easy time of it. I suspect the cougars do to an extent, but I have to notice their limited range. They do not live where deer don't live, and that shows their dependence on them.

Here's a notable article that most folks here don't know:

The fact that mule deer have not established themselves in the Interior points to a possible lack of winter food. Scientists think the deep snows make it hard for mule deer to forage.

Mule deer are not the only invasive game animal reported in the eastern Interior.

There also have been a handful of whitetail deer sightings around Whitehorse and two have been killed on the road, confirming their presence in the Yukon, Farnell said.

And biologists have heard about several mountain lion sightings in Tok and Delta Junction, though none have been confirmed.

According to the reports, mountain lions have been spotted on top of Donnelly Dome, on Clearwater Road, and in the Delta agriculture project, and one was glimpsed near Dot Lake between Delta and Tok.

The large cats were suspected, but never confirmed, in the Yukon until four years ago, when a dead mountain lion was found in an abandoned vehicle in Watson Lake, 300 miles south of Whitehorse.

The emaciated cougar evidently climbed into the vehicle and starved to death, Farnell said.

Prior to the finding, cougar sightings in the Yukon were "treated like Sasquatch sightings," he said.

Now, mountain lions are listed as an indigenous species in the Yukon. Firefighters battling a fire near Eagle last year reported seeing a mountain lion near Eagle Creek, Lydic said.

Funny about that "treating like" stuff, huh?