Bigfoot The Protector And Hunter !

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

I can relate with what you guys are saying and agree with most of it. I am not speaking for every BF's out there or for or against other members own personal experiences. I can relate with certain reports from witneses who mention defense/attack types of behaviour. On two occasions I was driven off using shawdowing, flanking and pushing tactics. I know when I am being hunted and support that the big guys know what they are doing too. It's not random behaviour, their smart and they've got skills. :(

I can relate with what you guys are saying and agree with most of it. I am not speaking for every BF's out there or for or against other members own personal experiences. I can relate with certain reports from witneses who mention defense/attack types of behaviour. On two occasions I was driven off using shawdowing, flanking and pushing tactics. I know when I am being hunted and support that the big guys know what they are doing too. It's not random behaviour, their smart and they've got skills. :(

How did you get away? If they were using hammer and anvil type tactics, and they can walk faster than we can? You should have been pushed into an ambush.

My thought is that you got away because they wanted you to get away. (If what you experienced was the real deal....sorry I'm skeptical) Which would mean that they were not hunting you per say, but intimidating you to leave their territory.

Back to your original question(s), I would suppose they would act very similar to the other large omnivore in N. America (a very opportunistic hunter, browser, scavenger). They are also reported to like estuaries, which would suggest a large diet of fish.

They have quasi opposable thumbs (some debate on that) which could suggest they are tool users, as are other great apes. I think this tool use would be also opportunistic and they would not have a "kit" they carried around, or at least not far.

They might hunt in "packs", but a low population density wouldn't support that view. Nor does the trace evidence collected so far, support a large roving band.

I'm sure they have a yearly migration that would make the most of limited seasonal resources though. Bears are observed doing this as well.

Guest tracker

They like to be in control, I am sure it was just an act of intimidation using some hunting or defence tactics to run me off, again. They could of come straight at me if they wanted to catch me on both occassions. Or throw some rocks or branches if they wanted to hurt me. I understand shadowing or driving as intimidation but why try flanking. That's how you trap & kill, capture your prey. Hmmm.?

Their reaction seems to depend on what your are doing when you encounter them. I am sure they don't like being tracked as oppose an innocent encounter with a hiker or camper.

If you must know, I made it back into a near by clearing they stopped at the tree line. tracker's got skills too. ;)

They like to be in control, I am sure it was just an act of intimidation using some hunting or defence tactics to run me off, again. They could of come straight at me if they wanted to catch me on both occassions. Or throw some rocks or branches if they wanted to hurt me. I understand shadowing or driving as intimidation but why try flanking. That's how you trap & kill, capture your prey. Hmmm.?

Well either they were unsuccessful in their attempt to outflank you (And a successful flank is a unseen surprise), or they were not flanking you but simply hazing you. If they flank right, you change course left........and so on.

If you must know, I made it back into a near by clearing they stopped at the tree line. tracker's got skills too.

Why do you think that is?

I'd like to know more.

A) Did you actually make a visual identification?

B) If so how many positive id's did you make?

C) Did you hear any vocalization?

D) Did you id any tracks in the area?

E) How did the encounter begin?

F) What activity were you doing at the time?

I've been hunted before, by a cougar, I never saw it but sensed it, and then found cougar tracks in my back trail. I always button hook and check my back trail in the woods, it's just good MO.

Guest tracker

Incorrigible - If i had stood my ground I would of had one in front and another behind me (not good). Who knows maybe just a stare down until dusk? then it might of gotten interesting.

Norseman- Thats good tactics to button hook every now and then. Use elevation right after you clear an opening. Hunters should always be mindfull that preds and game can smell your scent even if they can't see you. Preds can hunt by that sense alone. I believe they can smell your scent in your foot prints even with boots on.

I don't go too deep with my experiences on these sites. I've seen what happens with others that do that. Sometimes you run into road blocks when you broach new topics. Topics that most would never dare talking about or unless they have had some direct experience in the field then maybe. So i'll brief about some of my experiences in the bush or mountains to help the thread.

I give you this norseman so not to be rude, yes to some of your Q's and always hiking/tracking. ;)

Anyone else out there ever play cat and mouse with the big guys? Sure there's reports of scared witneses being shadowed, driven and fleeing. But none that I know about where the BF hunter becomes the hunted. I am sure there is but they won't come forward or they don't visit forums. It's too bad that witnesses get chewed up in forums faster than what a wolf pack could do in the wild.

Edited by tracker

Something to think about, just my opinion ;>), When there is more than one Sas, in any situation when dealing with humans, they employ back-up. If you are in the immedate vicinity of one, it's almost a guarantee there IS one behind you. ;>) It's just normal procedure for Sasses. IMO-Knuck

I give you this norseman so not to be rude, yes to some of your Q's and always hiking/tracking. ;)

If you ever want to talk about it? Shoot me a PM.

I tend to be a pragmatist, and I like to try to explain things rationally first until that has been exhausted before I decide I'm dealing with something new. Please don't take that as being rude or belittling your experience.

I don't know you so I don't know your bushcraft. Some people see deer shine in the woods and immediately assume that it's bigfoot, they are uncomfortable out there. I'm not.

I want to get to the bottom of this, but there is that nagging question I asked you in private. ;)

I can relate with what you guys are saying and agree with most of it. I am not speaking for every BF's out there or for or against other members own personal experiences. I can relate with certain reports from witneses who mention defense/attack types of behaviour. On two occasions I was driven off using shawdowing, flanking and pushing tactics. I know when I am being hunted and support that the big guys know what they are doing too. It's not random behaviour, their smart and they've got skills.

Tracker

If these guys(Bigfoots)really wanted you dead we would not be hearing this story from you now.I have had them follow me back many times to my car and it did not matter on the wind either cause i could smell them.

I believe that they were just following you back and observing you and seeing on what you were up to.No threat! just observation on thier part Brother next time you should hold your ground and see what happens. :)

Parallel.. curiosity..happens a lot. Not saying its comfy though. The literature has very very little confrontation that ended badly.

Some say there are no reports that ended up with someone hurt badly from physical danger.. now the emotional aspect.. that is another can of beans.

If they are silent.. that is better than defensive vocals.. which would be a sign of fear.. or nervousness..IF SERIOUS about taking us out, I would

think they may utilize objects to throw or impede a vehicle, with logs for example. Just my take. Do not forget the description of the vocals that

affect some people as well..

Guest tracker

When I made it to the clearing I turned and waited for them. I even knelt down on one knee to encourage my new friends to show themselves. Nope. Funny how something that powerfull is still timid in the daylight around us. I believe they know what kind of damage rifles can do. So I don't carry one, just a hunting knife and mace.

Guest tracker

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your interest in my adventures with the big guys. I've only had a few after 25-30 years in the bush and on the mountains. The being flanked or hunted briefing above is one of my better ones.

Anyways here's a really cool post from COGrizzly from the Colorado question thread. Maybe we post and talk more about the more dangerous types of reports/stories like this one below. Reports that show the more dangerous hunting/defending side of the big guys.

CoGrizzly wrote:

I heard this story long before I saw my tracks and long before I had any interest in the subject. The story came from a long time local of the Eagle/Vail Valley with connections to the Forest Service.

6 people died in the Pando Valley (Camp Hale) during its existence. Most of them were from the "Pando Cough". One was unsolved.

FYI - Camp Hale was a training facility during WWII that was located between Leadville and Vail. Camp Hale was located in the Pando Valley.

These men that trained there were the 10th Mountain Division. They are and were rugged mountain men that trained to serve and eventually were instrumental in ending WWII with the battle of Riva Ridge and other battles. They trained at Camp Hale for high mountain warfare and ended up being very good skiers...and really shaped the ski industry as we know it. Enough history, heres the story...

While training for the war in Camp Hale, they skinned up an area know on the map as the Pearl Creek drainage. They got to tree line and then skied down. At the bottom, they did a head count and were missing one. So they followed the ski tracks back up to look for the missing soldier. At tree line, they found a tattered bunch of clothing, a bent M1 rifle, and a bloodied drag mark with huge bipedal tracks next to the drag mark. To this day the forest service workers will not camp at the bottom of the Pearl Creek drainage.

This one is not on any kind of report on any BF site. Back in the day, I tried to track down any kind of info on it and only ended up with just stories from old timer forest service workers and one Camp Hale guy who had just "heard" of the story.

By sheer coincidence, even before I heard this story, I was riding down the Pearl Creek drainage with a buddy..before the trail was shut down. VERY rugged and a difficult trail. We stopped about half way near the creek and heavily forested. We both got a very uneasy feeling and high tailed it out of there.

Also coincidentally, in the late 1990's, 2 snowmobile guides watched a dirty white creature "crawl" up a cornice and once on top, stood up and walked away. I've spoke with both of them. I guided with one in the early 2000's. The location was no more than a few miles from the camp hale "incident"

Another coincidence is there have been 2 hikers over the last 4 years that have completely vanished with out a trace, even with the best search and rescue in North America. No body, no sign - nothing.

Maybe these local creatures have learned to predate humans (perhaps, as suggested, in times of desperation)? (Uh huh) Maybe the Cougars got em. Maybe. Maybe they got lost and died. Maybe. But more than likely it was probably the human-eating sasquatches.

• add.png

Guest Thepattywagon

If they are as quick moving as some reports attest, I would think it entirely possible for a BF to consistently out sprint a deer, assuming it could get within striking distance. Barring a perfect ambush, I would think a team effort would be the most logical way to coax prey into a location that afforded a greater chance of hunting success.

Many other mammals hunt in packs, including Whales and Dolphins. I've watched a pod of Dolphin corral a school of Mullet on more than one occasion. They would simply take turns going through the buffet line, once the fish were where they wanted them.

If BF has close to that intelligence, I'm sure he has the ability to hunt in coordinated numbers. The rule in Nature regarding hunting is that, if given a choice, the predator will opt for the method that maximizes it's chances for a safe and successful kill, while minimizing the physical energy required to put supper on the table.

How about this scenrio that these creatures are capable of hunting on there own by using ambush spots and rocks to kill there prey. What if these creatures understood enough to know about different animals of the forest that they understand on how to successfully kill a deer or an elk by themselves.What if they use ridges and choke points or even bottlenecks to go after thier prey.what if they track their prey and go after specific prey that they want just like a hunter would do.

I mean they have great rock throwing ability and who is to say that they do not sit on some ridge at a choke point and wait for there game to come through.Then once that prey comes through that single creature then thows its rock which stuns its prey giving it enough time it to break its neck.Now these are just thoughts and who knows I might be wrong but it does sound reasonable in a way that they are accurate with thier rock throwing abilities.

Guest tracker

How about this scenrio that these creatures are capable of hunting on there own by using ambush spots and rocks to kill there prey. What if these creatures understood enough to know about different animals of the forest that they understand on how to successfully kill a deer or an elk by themselves.What if they use ridges and choke points or even bottlenecks to go after thier prey.what if they track their prey and go after specific prey that they want just like a hunter would do.

I mean they have great rock throwing ability and who is to say that they do not sit on some ridge at a choke point and wait for there game to come through.Then once that prey comes through that single creature then thows its rock which stuns its prey giving it enough time it to break its neck.Now these are just thoughts and who knows I might be wrong but it does sound reasonable in a way that they are accurate with thier rock throwing abilities.

I believe some do all those things, others even set up traps like using a natural dead fall and camo them. Some still hunt solo either that means they haven't learned to hunt as a pack or they just prefer it that way or as the opportunity arises?