What Would Have Moved This If It Wasn't Bf

Guest Woodenbong

Guest Woodenbong

The nearest water to this log is approx 800 metres, so there isn't any chance of water moving the log. As for pigs, not likely, pigs would only rut along the edge of the log and there isn't any sign of [ig diggings in the area. I've been researching this area for 7 years and have not seen any sign of pig damage over the entire block.

I'm the only human that walks this remote area.

Guest Woodenbong

What is the dimensions of the scat?

Why are we so sure that people are not there?

How close is this location to water and what kind?

Is the substrate hard enough to not disclose a pig herd? group? flock? pod?

:)

What remained of the scat I could pick up in 2 cupped hands and it was decoposed so it had shrunk some.

The area is quite some distance from a rural road which may see about 3 cars a day on a good day, there is no reason for anyone to be in the area, its unfarmable, I've researched this area for 7 years and have never seen any sign of humans in that time.

The water is approx 800 metres awat and its a small creek.

No pigs in the area, the country isn't good enough for pigs.

I'll post a couple of other pics.

Guest Woodenbong

Here are another couple of pictures from the same area.

the first picture is a tree tha has been uprooted, its not all that big about four metres in height the resaon for the uprooting was to remove a grub that was in the base of the tree.

The second picture is a log that has been ripped open and has been sifted through looking for food.

post-211-027207200 1292959337_thumb.jpg

post-211-052485600 1292959375_thumb.jpg

Guest Woodenbong

I was thinking about floods myself....hmmmmm....I see a lot of random debris in the background of that photo....wind? flood? pigs? BF? Whatever, this is hardly a neat and pristine scene...SOMETHING brought that tree down initially (apparently a long time ago), and something scattered leaves, bark, and branches in the area....could be an area prone to seasonal flooding...we just don't know...

By the way---since pigs and whales are distantly related, I like "pod"...it has a nice ring to it: "on the way home last night, I spotted a pod of pigs on the horizon"...although then you have your "sounder" of wild boars....but I digress...as usual...

We call them a mob of pigs

Guest shelley7950

Thanks Woodenbong....but I thought it was a "mob" of kangaroos??? <_< So confusing...

I have to admit your landscape is really alien to me and I don't understand it...I'm familiar with eastern North America, and midwestern N.A. (Kansas), but the Australian landscape is a mystery....I'm wondering what caused the downed and scattered trees and branches....also, what medium size opportunistic omnivores are native to the area...the size and makeup of the scat indicate something like that....if not pigs, then what? Dingos? really large goannas?....You must have some idea yourself---if we pretend that we've eliminated BF as a possibility, then what would you guess?

Are there any aborigines in the area? They might tear open a dead log to look for grubs.

Also, in this picture

post-211-027207200%201292959337_thumb.jpg

That is either a flood area or a dumpsite, I see broken cement blocks under that discarded scrub bush.

was that bush pulled up from there, or pulled up somewhere else and dumped there?

What are of Australia are you in? Some areas have intense seasonal flooding, I would guess that this area is one of those spots.

Guest Woodenbong

Thanks Woodenbong....but I thought it was a "mob" of kangaroos??? <_< So confusing...

I have to admit your landscape is really alien to me and I don't understand it...I'm familiar with eastern North America, and midwestern N.A. (Kansas), but the Australian landscape is a mystery....I'm wondering what caused the downed and scattered trees and branches....also, what medium size opportunistic omnivores are native to the area...the size and makeup of the scat indicate something like that....if not pigs, then what? Dingos? really large goannas?....You must have some idea yourself---if we pretend that we've eliminated BF as a possibility, then what would you guess?

Shelly,

This paricular block isn't typical to our landscape, its just an unusual stretch of land, the soil isn't that good and is quite shallow the trees don't appear to reach maturity before they die. Hence they die and fall over which is the case of the fallen timber you see in the pictures.

My research area is on the Western side of the great Dividing range which seperates the east coast to the western plains. The dingoes are more frequent on the eastern side of the range and are very rarely seen on the western side. The scat wasn't left by a dog (dingo) I can certainly rule that out. I don't rule out yowies to have done this to the timber in all pics, I have had a sighting and was within 30 metres of the animal, I have found a bedding structure that would appear to have been made by the animal. I'll attach a footprint cast I found in the area.

post-211-004844400 1292961884_thumb.jpg

Guest Woodenbong

Are there any aborigines in the area? They might tear open a dead log to look for grubs.

Also, in this picture

post-211-027207200%201292959337_thumb.jpg

That is either a flood area or a dumpsite, I see broken cement blocks under that discarded scrub bush.

was that bush pulled up from there, or pulled up somewhere else and dumped there?

What are of Australia are you in? Some areas have intense seasonal flooding, I would guess that this area is one of those spots.

Drew,

As stated this isn't a flood area its 800 metres from a small creek.

This isn't a dump site, the tree is still attached to the ground and has been pulled up and layed over so that access could be made to extract the woodgrub.

The concrete you see are ROCKS that were dislodged when the tree was pulled out

1. Are there aborigines in the area?

2. That is a piece of a cement block straight down from the curved root

3. Hasn't the flooding been extreme due to the extensive rainfall this year? In fact hasn't many of the hiking trails had to close during recent months due to this flooding? 800m is not far when considering entire rivers overflowing their banks.

4. When were these photos taken?

5. What province are you in?

Looks like cement block broken.

Spiny Anteaters in the area? They could tear open a log like that.

I wonder if their sign has cricket carcasses in it.

Aye Mate... THATS a knife !! Sorry but couldnt resist. My next Q was

what have you experienced in the area? You just answered that.. so a potential foot impression

and an observation of a Yowie ? Care to elaborate ? Obviously a Yowie would be

quite able of doing some power maneuvers with a decent sized log.. providing its

got the strength of a number of H beans. I dont see any other critters doing it (unless like Spazmo said pigs,

but they would either have to be big, working together and leaving no sign for some reason)...

except humanoids.. which might have been the origin of the log in the horizontal position if not

weather... getting more interesting WB nice. We still have an interesting arrangement of

artwork over the scat.. WHO is so preoccupied with that?

Also could you direct us to anything written up regarding your observation? A lot of us wonder

about Yowies and how they might compare to the massively sized primates in our outback. I am

more interested in hearing what you have to say about that actually than the concern with the log.

If you saw one in the area ... well then, that ought to figure strongly.

Woody, whatdo the aborigines say about the yowie? Are there any aborigines that didn't get relocated that might have memories of your particular area?

• masterbarber locked this topic