Bigfoot And "creeped Out" Feeling

Guest ShadowPrime

Guest tracker

Hey elite training is pretty intense. yea if we could only match their speed and strength that would be something right out of the movies. until then we have to make do with human limitations. dry.gif

• 11 months later...
Guest JiggyPotamus

In my opinion there are a handful of possibilities that could account for this strange feeling, which I will assume, for the sake of discussion, that this is a legitimate claim to begin with. I too have ran across handfuls of these reports here and there, although I usually put them off as skewed post-sighting analytical calculations, since the stress on the mind may cause lapses in memory of specific details, or a fear response during a sighting.

The fear response could be more than just a general fear response, and possibly more of a genetic fear reaction due to certain allele frequencies being present in a large portion of the human population due to long-term interaction with the super-scary sasquatch. Or more likely just a primitive fight-or-flight reaction, which can cause hair to stand on end, which is a common report in sightings of the animal. It makes sense because even if the squatches were docile, they are still much larger than any human, and they retain full control throughout any encounter, therefore the primitive response that kicks in to potentially save someone's life.

This would indicate, in my opinion, that sasqui and humans had relatively frequent interaction at some point. This is not to say they interbred, although I believe they could have had they wanted to. I think we will eventually find out if this ever occurred.

Another possibility, and I have never subscribed to the "psychic bigfoot" hypothesis, is that these creatures can send some sort of "signal," or electromagnetic wave that they have evolved, which instills fear in other predators. I will say that I do believe the "human" mind is capable of psychic-esque abilities, which usually can be nurtured when young, but usually dissipate quickly with age due to the tuning out and focusing on the humdrum existence of a non-natural, ie "civilized" existence.

I won't elaborate, lol. Now I think that if the sasqui have intelligence even approaching close to human intelligence, then their way of life could very well cultivate a sensitivity to the energies of others, which extends to being able to primitively manipulate those energies. I mean really, what is brain activity without electrical signals, which generate a bio-electromagnetic field? Every single living thing produces these fields, and those who are a bit more liberal with the subject refer to this phenomenon as "auras."

Continuing what I was explaining, if the animals have relatively powerful brains, the fact that their way of life doesn't offer the distractions that the human way of life does, and more importantly they haven't been taught that these energies do not exist, then I suppose it is possible that they may have developed some sort of PRIMITIVE telepathic or psychic abilities.

I know I probably sound completely nuts, and I want to distinguish between what I believe, and what I believe is possible. I do not believe this is occurring, and I think it is a long-shot to say the least, but I will not discount it. I have seen too many weird things in this area to do that.

I suppose a more logical, although similar trait sasqui could possess, is the ability to generate a continuous tone that is under 20 Hz, which is the lower threshold of human hearing. The only way anyone would be able to realize the tone was present would be to feel the pressure wave, which would require a significant volume of air being moved, and I do not think any animal could meet the necessary force requirements to produce such a pressure wave.

This sound wave could possibly act in the way that the infamous "brown note" supposedly does, although with a less horrible outcome. The problem I have with this idea however is that we are talking about a relatively narrow frequency range that must be produced to trigger the desired affect in humans, and this frequency range is probably different for every single biological entity.

So I doubt this is what is occurring, since sasqui probably would not have ever developed this trait, much less retained it, if they rarely came into contact with predatory or dangerous humans. Even if they had been interacting with Native Americans for centuries, I do not think that the Native American's attempted to attack or murder the sasqui, therefore they would not have had a need for this defense mechanism, and there is nothing in the forest that is larger. They should be on the top of the food chain, unless swimming in the ocean where they could get eaten by a whale, or a giant squid, or a kraken, lol.

There are still other possibilities, but this reply is much too long already. At least I addressed what in my opinion was the most probable cause of this reaction, as well as a couple of "out-there" hypotheses that have been presented at one time or another throughout the perpetuation of the sasquatch legend. If anyone disagrees with my amateur analysis, I am quite willing to change my opinions in light of a good argument or facts. I love to be proven wrong!!! I learn more that way.

Edited by JiggyPotamus

I once saw a bear in the wild here in eastern europe, Latvia to be exact, at first I was awestruck by it, i had never seen a bear in the wild before having come from Australia, then once my brain got over the awe, I had this huge feeling of dread and fear.

I think it's just fight or flight. There is nothing special about it, you see something you don't know/can't understand so your brain takes it all in until you come up with the idea, "Hey, this thing could kill me" so you get a bad feeling, your body prepares you and you just want to run away.

One thing that intrigues me, amongst the BF sightings reports, is how often witnesses describe feeling a powerful urge to flee, often nearly overwhelming, during the sighting. On the face of it, maybe not surprising - coming face to face with a huge protohuman "monster", often while alone and deep in the woods - but in the context of the sightings reports, the witnesses often make it sound a bit more strange than that. While the witnesses use lots of different words to describe the sensations, I get the impression they are often observing BF, feeling calm or intrigued, when suddenly this feeling, almost a compulsion, just sneaks up on them, almost surprising them (versus, for example, them being afraid from the start, hanging in there, but finally "having enough" and feeling they need to get out of there!).

The other thing is that a fair number of reports - and yup, this is all anecdotal; I haven't done any kind of count! - mention this sensation hitting BEFORE the BF is sighted. That is, the person gets this "creeped out" feeling, for no apparent reason, THEN sees the BF. I was reading just such a report yesterday - a hunter out in the woods, gets this increasingly unsettling sensation, then spots the BF...

What are your thoughts about this? Is something "unusual" going on here, or is this just "noise" in the reports? Personally, I find that this is mentioned often enough, and with enough force, that it makes me wonder if this isn't an important element of the BF phenomena, but on the flip side, I just don't know... I am not into a "psychic BF" scenario, and the more fantastic elements we ascribe to BF, the LESS likely it becomes (IMHO). I don't know that any other animal on Earth, for example, has a "fear pheromone", so to postulate something as fantastic as a giant bipedal North American ape AND to throw in a "human repelling" pheromone or ultrasound capability...well... strains credulity and then some. No?

SO... interested in your thoughts? Have you noticed this element as well, and if so, what do you make of it?

Shadow

Under ordinary circumstances seeing a large beast probably should engender fear and a desire to flee. I have no problems with that at all. As for the sense one should flee before the sighting well that's another can of worms. I have had this need to flee before and can attest that it is a hallucination. Even if there really is a bigfoot watching you. The eyes have no power to make you feel jumpy if you don't see them. I do not believe in psychic powers at all as there is more evidence of hoaxing esp than there are "compelling" cases.

Guest Moonwatcher

Although some reject Rupert Sheldrake's concepts (and I don't know if they've already been brought up in these forums) his book "The Sense of Being Stared At" has some interesting data about the reactions being discussed here. I believe that pheromonal response in bigfoot encounters is a legitimate possibility (the intense smell certainly did a number on me) and that "infrasound"-- which is constantly couched in almost paranormal terms-- can play a factor. It's simply low-frequency, bone-shaking noise that many other species emit. I've spent plenty of time around captive big cats, including some tigers who were definitely not pleased to see me, and that low-end intensity they can generate will quickly pop the sweat out on you...

That was what I experienced. I described my experience (not actual sighting) in my intro on the new members board. I felt that I was being watched and felt alarmed before I actually heard the growl. when I heard the growl it was so loud and deep that I physically felt the vibrations in my body. I ran out of the woods and never went back into those woods by myself again. I wonder if my creeped out feeling was some type of ultrasound or zapping that occured before the growl registered with my ears.

I have done some experimenting with deer on this... it is certainly true that if you are staring at them, and their gaze meets yours (eyes lock)- they bolt quickly. But if your looking slightly away from them, often they will resume grazing and pay you no bother. It's actually on occasion, made me bust out laughing, which of course scared them off anyway.

My personal encounter from many years ago, included a brief period of time where actually my brother sensed something first, he "shooshed" me, and seconds later we were both on the move- but that's a story for another time.

I think its been stated correctly, that we as human's, as advanced as we like to think of ourselves- do retain much of our "early brain". The one that knew that the dark woods could be a place of peril, and that when separated and alone- we are not much of a match for any large predator roaming in the area.

The more time we spend in a natural setting, the more these senses come back to us.

I dont know whether its instinct, or a sixth sense but it certainly exists.

A.

Guest StankApe

I have always figured that our subconscious brain picks up on nuances in our sight and hearing that our conscious brain doesn't notice. Our survival instincts kick in after analyzing the data and tells the conscious brain"i think there's a critter watching you!!!" by giving us the "something is staring at me" feeling. It's almost like a prep for the fight or flight instinct. Which is why when we see something consciously, we tend to be more interested in studying it and less about fear (depending on proximity of course). But if we sense something is near, we don't know what it is, nor where it is and that's not very good for survival....

Just a thought.

I've experienced the creepy feeling of being watched while in the woods, and having noticed deer becoming aware of my presence while watching them from concealment, I decided to experiment. At my place of work (a noisy factory) I would stare at a person 50-100 yards away, they would often look at me within a few seconds. I enlisted others to help me stare at someone and the odds they would look our way increased. I concluded the feeling was proportional to the number of starers.

I transferred this to the woods and noted that a deer that couldn't see me became nervous when I stared intently at it. When viewing a deer nearby the time one could stare without detection decreased as the distance did. I found I could "get away" with viewing a deer from close quarters if I looked for a bit and then looked away, glancing back often, but for very short glimpses, I could observe a deer for 15 or 20 minutes from nearby as long as they didn't catch my scent.

It seems people and deer share this instinct although that of people seems to be somewhat duller.

I as well as a few other bowhunters I know will not stare at a deer as it walks in. I will watch them out of the corner of my eye untill I draw and come to anchor. I don't know what it is but your right and many people have noticed it. if you stare at them for very long they get nervous. If they haven't delt with hunting pressure in their area they will usually grow nervous and leave the area. If they have experience with hunters they will often start scanning trees or out right bolt. I honestly believe that this has nothing to do with their amazing sense of smell. I feel it is something different. If an animal like a whitetail deer has this ability, I don't have a hard time believing humans do as well but it is not been honed with life at stake like in a wild animal for a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SwampMonster

This is a very good thread subject.

I have experienced this feeling numerous times. When I get the uneasy feeling (not sure "creeped out" is how I would describe it) I carefully check out my surroundings to determine what has changed, because I believe that even the most subtle changes can be picked up by our senses. This is especially true if you are comfortable in the environment that you are in. I feel comfortable in the woods, but very uncomfortable in noisy or crowded environments. I don't like for my senses to be overloaded. Others are probably the exact opposite.

I don't think pheromones would come into play unless proximity is very close, IMO. Maybe I need to study up on this?

I do know that being stared at can be sensed...somehow. I don't know how, but I have both seen it and personally experienced it myself too many times to discount it as coincidence. Being stared at doesn't creep me out, but you instinctively want to know who/what is doing the staring. Often, I will somehow seem to to know from which direction the stare is coming from. Probably 50% of my uneasy feelings have turned out to be the result of feeling watched, and I have been guilty of instilling that uneasy feeling in both animals and people. It is (to me) more creepy when you are the one doing the staring and witness the reaction.

As for identifying the subtle changes in your surroundings, that takes practice remaining still, calm, and observant. What was I hearing before that I don't hear now? Why did it suddenly seem quiet only to my left? Did I see something in my peripheral vision? Did I hear anything that seemed unusual? Why did that squirrel (or bird, deer, etc) suddenly decide to leave? Sometimes the pieces of the puzzle will start to fit together when reviewed in your mind as a chain of events rather than looking at them separately. do not dismiss them! Alone, they may seem insignificant. Combined, they could lead to the answer.

I believe that our senses have been dulled by our gradually declining dependence on them over the generations, but we can still turn them up a notch or two in certain situations created by danger, self-preservation, curiousity, excitement (not panic!), fear, etc.

Edited by SwampMonster

Admin

Just a personal observation and not saying that this is BF related in any way.

Back in 95 we rented a cabin up on Big Creek in northern Arkansas for the Labor Day holiday. The cabin itself sat on a hill and a dirt road ran about 1/2 to a mile down to the creek. This is typical north Arkansas terrain so it was heavily wooded and hilly. One day I decided to take a little walk down the road towards the creek. I think my goal was to make it down to the creek to just hang out for a bit. Anyway, maybe halfway to the creek at most, I started to get a little uneasy. It was not overwhelming, but noticable. I scanned the countryside around me, but saw nothing out of the ordinary. I continued on and the feeling got stronger. I continued to look around but saw nothing of interest. Finally I turned around and headed back to the cabin, at a little faster pace than I had descended. The uneasy feeling lessened as I got closer to the cabin. The feeling was nothing that caused me to break and run, but it was there. As best as I remember (and I could be wrong about this), I turned around right before a curve in the road, a curve I could not see around. At this point in my life, although I had been interested in BF as a kid, the subject was nowhere in my mind. So I do not think it was something subliminal that I dredged up. Just remember that it got to feeling creepy and that I needed to head back. It was a nice bright, clear sunshine filled day and not spooky in the least. In retrospect I now wonder what I would have done then if I had known what I know now. I would have been a lot more observant of my surroundings for sure. And I wonder what would have happened if I had gone around that curve....

By the way, nothing else remotely weird happened during our stay there. I did not attempt to walk down the road again during our stay, although our entire group drove down it numerous times before and after this incident (and quite possibly even that very day after my walk).

Like I said, there is nothing to tie this to BF except for the feeling itself. I do not think it was my imagination playing with me, but the mind is a strange place sometimes. I do think sometimes we get a subconscious warning if things are amiss. Maybe there was a bear, cougar, or rabid dog down that road, or perhaps just some local thugs hanging out at the creek that afternoon looking for trouble.

Just thought I would share this.

Guest Biggie

VA that's very similar to my encounter in the AR Ozarks. I looked everywhere but could see nothing and I knew no people or animals were around yet I knew I had to leave for my safety. I went there alone many times before and after that without issue. I didn't think of it being bf at the time until years later when I became interested in bf and learned of similar bf accounts like ours.

Admin

That is interesting Biggie!

Interestingly I have never had this feeling before or since then in a similar situation. Oh there have been a couple of times that I knew I had to get out of a certain urban area I was in at the time, but I think that came more from common sense and knowing I did not belong there than anything else (some back alleys of Cancun at night on foot with just my wife is one of them....).