Weirdest Thing That Has Happened To You In The Field

Guest Boolywooger

Guest BCCryptid

This was one of my favorite threads in BFF 1.0. Hopefully it will continue here.

Yeah, but let's skip the "I found children's clothes stuffed in a hole" one, that one still sends chills up my spine!

Guest BitterMonk

I've told this story before but I'll tell it here.

Once when I went out to visit SE Oklahoma I found a piece of cedar in a swampy creek that had come from a beaver den or dam. It was the perfect size for carrying around and using as a "whopping" stick, and since it was cedar it was hard as steel. I carried that stick all over the North GA mountains when I got back home. One day I hiked down into a holler to show some friends an old settler graveyard. When we were hiking back out we stopped by a little meadow and I accidentally left it there laying beside the log I was sitting on. I knew exactly where I had left it behind but it was too late by the time I remembered to go back and get it.

Fast forward a month later. I hike down past the same spot and the stick is gone. I even rooted down in the leaf litter to make sure I wasn't missing it. Come back again another time squirrel hunting and still no stick. Go back squirrel hunting a week later and the stick is laying there right by the stump just like I left it. It had a few cracks in it and was obviously weathered but still just as good as the day I found it. It's not the craziest or creepiest but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Regardless I'm just glad I got my beaver stick back.

Guest COGrizzly

Bittermonk

That is unbelievably weird. Check this out.

3 weeks ago we went camping...but over at the Roosevelt NF in CO. Searched high and low on a busy weekend close to the front range and the Poudre Canyon, finally found a spot. It rocked. Right near a creek/river. Had a super cool fire stirring stick and my friend contemplated this - "It's such a cool stick, no one else would appeciate it as much as I would...maybe I should take it?" I replied, "Others will appreciated it as much as you, leave it where you found it." She used it for a day hiking, then returned it, to the same spot, 24 hours later (roughly).

I found some 18-19 inche tracks in snow in 2004....clearly bipedal.

BM....I hate it when I lose my beaver stick! lol

There is a trail near my place that I call the Popple trail as it winds along a creek on one side and marsh on the other, very thickly wooded, and a lot of beaver sign. The length is about 1-1.5 miles and dead ends into a marsh. Over the years, many trees would fall across the trail and about 10 years ago, I took my ATV and chainsaw and cut them just wide enough for my ATV to pass through. This trail is an excellent area to Grouse hunt. I cut over 25 fallen trees and just threw the chunks off to the side of the trail. I gave it 2 days to settle down and then walked the trail with my 12 gauge. Each and every piece that I cut was replaced back to where it originally was (if off the ground, was laying under the cut). I had a strange neighbor who I assumed must have done it (it fit with something he would do). Last year, an older couple (they own the other cabin in the area) walked this trail and after they turned around and headed back, a tree was blocking their exit (it was not there shortly beforehand). The strange neighbor has been dead for 4-5 years now (no tears from any of us up there). I asked them if it looked like a beaver may have caused the tree fall, but they kind of changed the subject and the wife told me she does not want to know if bf are in the area (said she would never come up there again if they were).

The cut pieces of log being replaced were probably done by the dead neighbor, the other, who knows. UPs

Guest BCCryptid

I've told this story before but I'll tell it here.

Once when I went out to visit SE Oklahoma I found a piece of cedar in a swampy creek that had come from a beaver den or dam. It was the perfect size for carrying around and using as a "whopping" stick, and since it was cedar it was hard as steel. I carried that stick all over the North GA mountains when I got back home. One day I hiked down into a holler to show some friends an old settler graveyard. When we were hiking back out we stopped by a little meadow and I accidentally left it there laying beside the log I was sitting on. I knew exactly where I had left it behind but it was too late by the time I remembered to go back and get it.

Fast forward a month later. I hike down past the same spot and the stick is gone. I even rooted down in the leaf litter to make sure I wasn't missing it. Come back again another time squirrel hunting and still no stick. Go back squirrel hunting a week later and the stick is laying there right by the stump just like I left it. It had a few cracks in it and was obviously weathered but still just as good as the day I found it. It's not the craziest or creepiest but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Regardless I'm just glad I got my beaver stick back.

A squatch borrowed it to make a call and then returned it! What's the big deal? :D

Hopefully his charges showed up on your bill and he re-embursed you!

Guest Biggjimm

Well, I wasn't into looking for bigfoot at the time, but I live (and still do) down in an isolated creek

bottom in Oklahoma. There are only about 3-4 houses in the bottom itself, with several up on the hills

surrounding it. I was walking up the east fork of the creek that flows down behind the house back around

96, when I got real close to the spillway of the flood control pond. Something big shoots out from under

-neath a log and hits me in the shin with enough force to bowl me over, then clamps onto my boot. As I sit

up, seeing that the waters only about 2 foot deep there, I see a massive flathead catfish attached to the

end of my foot, about 3 and 1/2 foot long and my guess is around 40-50 lbs. She let go and went back to her

log. I always figured she was guarding a nest. Only time a fish has caught me.

Over the years I have had numerous encounters down in here with the wildlife, some funny, some downright

frightening, and most quite harmless.

I was tent camping alone one night in USFS campground that was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. After I got in the tent and started to doze off I heard something creeping around in the campsite and then I heard it brush up against my car. I got out with my flashlight to see what was going on but nobody was around. I checked behind the tent and walked back over to the front of it to climb back in when a smallish limb fell out of the tree right in front of me. Apparently a raccoon had walked through the site and had climbed up into the shade tree I had pitched the tent under, but I didn't see anything when I shined the light up into the tree. I may never know what really happened that night. :blink:

This was one of my favorite threads, also.

Here's mine, probably nothing but creepy at best.

For what it's worth-

Mid 1990's as a youngster, we had a pond about a half mile from my house right off a main neighborhood road. The pond was about 50ft wide and maybe ten feet deep. It had dried up during the hot summer for the first time in many years, revealing tons of misc. junk that had been dumped in there over time- appliances, ect.

I was down there playing around in the mud and moving junk around catching huge crawfish hiding under stuff when I came across a cast for a broken arm. Now the weird part is that the cast was L-shaped, like it would go over an elbow, and would not be able to be taken off without being cut by a doctor. This one was uncut. I don't think someone could have just slipped their arm through it due to the 90 degree angle.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but years later it still sticks in my mind as out of the ordinary and I wonder if perhaps there had been a body dumped in there. Or maybe it was just somekind of souveneir from med school or something- but it was definately a real cast.

The pond has since been filled in.

Come to think of it, we ate the crawfish. :o

Like I said- FWIW

I was camping a few weeks back at a USFS campground. There were other people there, so it could have been one of them, but still a little odd. A lot odd.

We were camped right at the edge of the campground, seemingly well away from random "behind the tent nighttime incursions from drunken peoples who run the risk of wandering off too far and falling in a hole."

A quick poll of "not me, not me either" revealed it wasn't one of the two of us.

The liquid in question appears to be pee. I almost swabbed it, but then I thought "Who am I going to send this to...this ain't an episode of BCSI" :lol:

SDC10558-1.jpg

The thing that really makes me go hmmmmm is the fact that this was right at the front of the friggin tent!