Weirdest Thing That Has Happened To You In The Field

Guest Boolywooger

This happened in the early 1980's to my cousin who was 24 and I was 20. It was the last day of deer season in Georgia and was a *doe* day. Meaning either bucks or does could be harvested. And we were really intent on putting meat in the freezer.

We hunted a private tract of land that was several hundred acres in size. Problem was it was rainy and the wind was really blowing. So, we thought it would be fruitless to hunt from deer stands and decided to still hunt through an extremely thick portion of the property that we knew the deer would be bedded down in as a result of the inclement weather.

So we spread out about 50 yards or so apart. One of us would walk about 10 paces and stop for a few minutes and then the other would do the same. We were hoping one of us would jump some deer and push them towards the other who could then get a shot. Both of us left our rifles in the truck and were equipped with 12 gauge shotguns loaded with 00 buckshot because the deer would likely be moving when/if a shot was taken.

After a half an hour or so, Bret came trotting over to me and it was clear that something was very wrong. He was white as a ghost and looked spooked. He said, "I found a dead man laying under a tree by the old logging road." I asked him if he was sure he was dead and he said he was but wanted me to come see for myself.

Sure enough, as we walked up I could clearly see a body lying face-down on the ground at a very odd angle. There was a gun awkwardly lying on the ground beside him. Now this was before cell phones so there was no calling for help. We'd have to go back to the truck and drive to a store that was located a few miles away to call the police and report what we had found.

I told Bret to nudge him and make sure he was dead. Well, Bret's idea of nudging wasn't exactly what I had in mind and he took his boot and gave the guy a decent shot to the nether-regions. The guy shot about 5 feet straight up in the air revealing 2 empty bottles of MD 20/20 and another welll on its way.

He took off running in one direction leaving his gun behind and we took off running in the other.

Needless to say, we didn't harvest anything that day since we ran anything off that was there.

But, we experienced something then that we still chuckle about now everytime we see each other. Now, at every family reunion, someone asks for us to tell the story again.

I always wanted to run into the *dead man* again to hear his version of the story. :lol:

Now that is funny right there!! I don't care who you are!!! :lol::lol: LMAO

This happened in the early 1980's to my cousin who was 24 and I was 20. It was the last day of deer season in Georgia and was a *doe* day. Meaning either bucks or does could be harvested. And we were really intent on putting meat in the freezer.

We hunted a private tract of land that was several hundred acres in size. Problem was it was rainy and the wind was really blowing. So, we thought it would be fruitless to hunt from deer stands and decided to still hunt through an extremely thick portion of the property that we knew the deer would be bedded down in as a result of the inclement weather.

So we spread out about 50 yards or so apart. One of us would walk about 10 paces and stop for a few minutes and then the other would do the same. We were hoping one of us would jump some deer and push them towards the other who could then get a shot. Both of us left our rifles in the truck and were equipped with 12 gauge shotguns loaded with 00 buckshot because the deer would likely be moving when/if a shot was taken.

After a half an hour or so, Bret came trotting over to me and it was clear that something was very wrong. He was white as a ghost and looked spooked. He said, "I found a dead man laying under a tree by the old logging road." I asked him if he was sure he was dead and he said he was but wanted me to come see for myself.

Sure enough, as we walked up I could clearly see a body lying face-down on the ground at a very odd angle. There was a gun awkwardly lying on the ground beside him. Now this was before cell phones so there was no calling for help. We'd have to go back to the truck and drive to a store that was located a few miles away to call the police and report what we had found.

I told Bret to nudge him and make sure he was dead. Well, Bret's idea of nudging wasn't exactly what I had in mind and he took his boot and gave the guy a decent shot to the nether-regions. The guy shot about 5 feet straight up in the air revealing 2 empty bottles of MD 20/20 and another welll on its way.

He took off running in one direction leaving his gun behind and we took off running in the other.

Needless to say, we didn't harvest anything that day since we ran anything off that was there.

But, we experienced something then that we still chuckle about now everytime we see each other. Now, at every family reunion, someone asks for us to tell the story again.

I always wanted to run into the *dead man* again to hear his version of the story. :lol:

That is a good, weird one. Finding someone dead, would not have been fun. It ended as a (funny) shocker, but can still be laughed at today.

Guest Ambermae

That is absolutely hilarious, i just read that one out loud to my friends and they are all p*****g themselves :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Ambermae

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this one is a bit strange.....

I built a log cabin in a fairly remote area of Michigans UP and there are a couple of other cabins around that are your basic hunting cabins complete with outhouses. It was 2001 (I think) during rifle season and 5 guys from one of the other camps came over to take showers at my place (I have an actual indoor shower run by a generator). It was a beautiful day and about 70f, no snow on the ground (quite unusual). One guy was taking a shower and the rest of us are standing in front of my porch talking before the afternoon hunt starts. We are in a circle and as I looked down, I see this wet, red, circle on the ground. It was about 6-8in in diameter and I stuck my finger in it. It was blood and quite a bit (1/2 pint maybe?). So I asked all of them who was bleeding and of course nobody was (way too much blood for a typical cut). I then called for my dog to see if she got hurt, but she was fine. I then figured it was probably a wounded deer and after the guys left, I hiked much of my property looking for any sign. I found nothing. By now its about 2pm and I got my hunting stuff together and headed out to a hunting area on my ATV. The CO,s pull me over for riding during hunting hours (you are only allowed to use ATV,s between 11am and 2pm during rifle season). This is only the 2nd time that I had ever seen the DNR back there. I told them why I was going to my blind so late and they did not ticket me. I still-hunted an area that I had never hunted before and got a the biggest deer of my life (beautiful 8 point typical).

After everything settled down the next day, I thought about that puddle of blood. Whatever it was must have stopped for quite a while right in front of my cabin. There were no blood droplets leading up to or going away from the puddle and the blood was still wet looking. I went to each camp within 5 miles (only 7 of them) and nobody admitted to wounding a deer or even getting a shot off. The puddle was only about 5 feet from my steps attached to the porch and should have been a bit dried if it happened the night before as it was quite hot and sunny that day. I still have no idea what left the puddle of blood. UPs

Edited by UPs

Guest Sean V

The wierdest thing that has ever happened to me out in the woods has nothing to do with Sasquatch research/investigation at all.

A friend and I were out walking along the Clearwater river years back (a decade at least). As we were walking we came near to a patch of trees located somewhat close to the edge of the river. Suddenly this older, bedraggled looking man jumps out of the patch of trees, an old 110 camera in hand, and snaps a picture of both of us, then he says *I got you bastards!*. He then gambols off down the riverbank and into the forest, disappearing from view. My friend and I are looking at each other as if to say *What the hell was that all about?!* The expression on my friends face was like a leprechaun had come up to us and said *Ah boys, ya caught me. Here be my pot o gold*.

We mentioned this to a ranger as we were leaving the area & and he said that ours was not the first report of this odd individual. Some folks at a campground reported him because he was taking pictures of people coming out of the outhouses.

Yeah, that was definately my wierdest experience while out in the woods.

*edited for typo*

Edited by Sean V

Guest Xskeptic

In late August of 2009 I was hiking in the North Cascades. I came across a small tributary with cool clear running water. While resting there I noticed a bouquet of what looked like very fresh wild raspberry stems with the leaves still attached laying on the ground at the edge of the little creek. I picked them up and was amazed at how many there were. Each individual stem was about 1/16 to 1/8" diameter and the whole cluster of stems held together measured about 1.5 inches. Upon further examination I noticed that all the stems were of equal length (rather short) as though something had sheared them off evenly. However, it was not a smooth cut as with a knife or shears but more like something bit them off. As I said the leaves were still attached and were untouched. I looked around for any prints and saw none which was no real surprise as the substrate on the forest floor is very thick. I couldn't even find my own prints. To this day I have no idea where they came from, I saw no one else the whole day in the area.

Here's my story. There's a small pond out in the woods fairly close to where I live. Nobody goes there much, and the fishing is pretty good, I've pulled some nice sized smallmouths out of it on occasion.

This one particular time I'm sitting fishing and I notice that there is an acorn sitting out on the end of this tree trunk that hangs out over the water, didn't really think much of it. As I'm fishing, I notice a squirrel making its way out onto the tree to retrieve the acorn. It gets to the end of the tree and picks up the acorn.

Right then, there's a huge splash and a huge bass jumps out of the water and grabs the squirrel in it's mouth and dives back under water. Needless to say I was surprised.

About a minute later, the bass comes back up and puts the acorn back on the end of the tree. It notices me watching and puts it's flipper to its lips in the universal ssshhhhhhh motion.

I don't like to go fishing there anymore.

Admin

With a story like that, the least you can do is post a pic of a blogbass with some red circles.... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my story. There's a small pond out in the woods fairly close to where I live. Nobody goes there much, and the fishing is pretty good, I've pulled some nice sized smallmouths out of it on occasion.

This one particular time I'm sitting fishing and I notice that there is an acorn sitting out on the end of this tree trunk that hangs out over the water, didn't really think much of it. As I'm fishing, I notice a squirrel making its way out onto the tree to retrieve the acorn. It gets to the end of the tree and picks up the acorn.

Right then, there's a huge splash and a huge bass jumps out of the water and grabs the squirrel in it's mouth and dives back under water. Needless to say I was surprised.

About a minute later, the bass comes back up and puts the acorn back on the end of the tree. It notices me watching and puts it's flipper to its lips in the universal ssshhhhhhh motion.

I don't like to go fishing there anymore.

I watched a bass of 4-5 lbs eat a duckling once.I've had them take trout off my line as I was reeling them in,too.And that's without the acorn bait.