norseman

The Munns Report

BigfootBookman

Xspider,

They were on the right spot for the first sighting, with mild variance in Bob Gimlin's opinion due to minor changes in the banks and creek position over time. However, they were NOT on the film site itself. For filming the recreation they had to have Bobo walk along the gravel bed of the creek, below the overgrown, dark, raised old sandbar. We, however, have found the actual big trees and area of the track-way, which is BEHIND where Bobo is walking in the TV show. I was amazed, personally, that the film producers did not even try to find the big trees and stumps seen in the film, but heck, that just leaves the field totally to us in the BLUFF CREEK FILM SITE PROJECT.

I do have to say this: it is thanks to Cliff Barackman and James Bobo Fay that we first went to the area of the film site, and they were the source claiming it was on the upper sandbar (distinct from the location claimed by Christopher Murphy and others, slightly downstream), based upon what Gimlin told Bobo in the 2003 Willow Creek International Bigfoot Symposium trip to the site. That trip produced massive confusion and convinced me that the site was lost, and that it had to actually be found and documented again. No one could point out the big trees, and so followed all manner of bad claims and spurious evidence, resulting in at least seven different site location theories proposed by various researchers.

I do hope that we, with Bill Munns' help, are finally able to clear this up, and say THIS IS IT, this is where Patty walked.

BFBM

Hey! Do you guys think that the site is right where Bob G., BoBo, et al apparently went to on the last 'Finding Bigfoot' show? THX!!

Edited by BigfootBookman

Bill

I have sent over to Steve his chart of the site on the grid map, with my addition of where Roger's path from frame 1 would be, calculated for both a 25mm and a 20mm lens. If he can go back to the site and actually walk both paths, I think that could be very beneficial in our attempt to finalize this.

It would be fascinating to try and find where dahinden stood on the east hillside to take that high up side view of the site. It should be possible now.

Bill

BFBM,

I'm curious how you surveyed the site. Did you lay out a baseline and then place stakes at 10' grids with a hand tape, or did you have surveying equipment? Also, what type of GPS unit did you use?

I know the site has been overgrown for years, but is most of the underbrush of the deciduous variety? If so, when the leaves disappear a month or so from now does the site open up substantially?

I'm a professional land surveyor and your methods of surveying the site and the sight lines out there intrigue me. Thanks for any info.

Hogsback

Guest Kerchak

Don't forget to look for that giant hole that Bob H claims he jumped into and hid in. :lol:

*Edit. Or any evidence of such.

Edited by Kerchak
  • Upvote 1

BigfootBookman

We used a compass from the claimed first sighting spot, and flagged every ten feet, new compass reading each segment. Then we did the east to west axis, and filled in the grid for the entire sandbar. We then walked the matrix noting all prominent older features in each square. We don't have professional surveying tools. There were two GPS units used, on two trips. I'll have to ask the other guys as to the brands.

Getting in there now will most likely be impossible without a quad or snowshoes. A storm is coming down from the north. It is mostly conifers on the upper sandbar, with some maple and alder, a madrone, and lots of vine maple shrubby trees near the base of the hill. A chainsaw brigade would be required to see the site as it once was.

Photos coming tomorrow.

We also left two test prints in the exposed sandbar, to see if they could last out the winter.

BFBM

Edited by BigfootBookman

Guest Biggie

I'm a professional land surveyor and your methods of surveying the site and the sight lines out there intrigue me.

Surveyor has shared several of his interesting surveying tales that we have enjoyed, mostly of snakes and rather unfortunate encounters with yellow jackets. I'm sure you must have some eventful surveying stories too. If so you should share them sometime in the campfire forum. ;)

PBeaton

BigfootBookman,

Right on, appreciate the work an your efforts. Best'a luck with thin's !

"This is it, this is where Patty walked." An...wouldn't it be somethin'...if she still did. :blink:

Pat...

Edited by PBeaton

BigfootBookman

Here are photos from the PGF site, exact location, from October 30th, 2011.

(Taken with a cell phone camera.)

post-37-074062600 1320354710_thumb.jpg

Vine maple, still not fully red

post-37-022572500 1320354183_thumb.jpg

PGF Camping, on the first frames area.

post-37-014555200 1320354195_thumb.jpg

Jungle in front of PGF big trees

post-37-064579700 1320354220_thumb.jpg

PGF BIG TREE

post-37-059011500 1320354265_thumb.jpg

Another big tree

post-37-084561700 1320354300_thumb.jpg

PGF middle tree, spiky snag, ladder tree

post-37-067689700 1320354336_thumb.jpg

PGF ladder tree

post-37-091686200 1320354487_thumb.jpg

PGF spiky snag, ladder tree, background clusters

post-37-033961000 1320354684_thumb.jpg

Autumn behind PGF big trees

post-37-016453200 1320354739_thumb.jpg

Dead and live alders, as seen in the 1967 film

post-37-070843300 1320354774_thumb.jpg

PGF background tree clusters, to north behind big tree

post-37-004379300 1320354804_thumb.jpg

More background trees, northeast of big trees in PGF

post-37-014239700 1320354835_thumb.jpg

Old firs, to "right" of PGF big trees

post-37-065667200 1320354883_thumb.jpg

Sloping hill behind PGF site, as seen in b&w 1972 Dahinden photo

post-37-000765500 1320355072_thumb.jpg

First sighting spot, as identified by Gimlin, also marked by Dahinden on Perez' map. Seen from upstream angle, where Finding Bigfoot filmed their recreation. Earlier this year.

BFBM

Edited by BigfootBookman

BigfootBookman

For comparison...

post-37-071982600 1320357357_thumb.jpg

Byrne Film Site Photo, 1972

post-37-032841800 1320357387_thumb.jpg

Dahinden Film Site Photo, 1972

post-37-084236300 1320357449_thumb.jpg

Green Film Site Photo, 1968

post-37-065720800 1320357563_thumb.jpg

post-37-006209600 1320357594_thumb.jpg

post-37-042180900 1320357619_thumb.jpg

post-37-025340300 1320357736_thumb.jpg

Dahinden 1971 "Aerial"

We are pretty sure of the hillside location of the aerial shot, but it is tough to get to, especially now that it is going to snow on Bluff Creek.

Seeing down into the film site through all the new trees, though, is another matter altogether.

Invitations are now offered for next year's chainsaw or trimmer brigade.

BFBM

Thanks for the info BFBM. Ahh, vine maple, a surveyors WORST nightmare, except for maybe blackberry bushes. How'd you like crawling through that maple? You did a great job with just a compass and flagging, especially considering the conditions of the site. It sounds to me that if the site were ever to be mapped with surveying equipment that mid-spring, after the snow melts and before new vegetation comes in, may be the best time?

BigfootBookman

The roads don't open and thaw until late June most years, sometimes even July. Quads, mountain bikes, or snowshoes would work for the bold and obsessed. Personally, I feel like I've done my time there. The vine maple formed a net or web that we literally had to crawl through to get the big trees measurements for Bill. It really is a temperate jungle down in there.

BFBM

SweatyYeti

Nice work, Steve! :)

Here is your picture of the 'Big tree' next to the Film's image...(comparing the basic 'bark pattern')...

Frame350BigTreeComp1.jpg

BigfootBookman

Peter Byrne remembered in an email conversation I had with him that the "Big Tree" had many woodpecker holes in it, as of 1972. We definitely found this to be the case currently. Not many of the older firs have this, which is probably due to age and infection with the bark beetles. If we can determine more or less exactly the camera position and direction, then we should be able to capture photos of the trees from the right angle of view. It is tough, however, to get anything close to the perspective seen in the PGF, due to overgrown new forest getting in the way of the view line.

BFBM

Nice work, Steve! :)

Here is your picture of the 'Big tree' next to the Film's image...(comparing the basic 'bark pattern')...

Frame350BigTreeComp1.jpg

bipedalist
BFF Donor

You will probably need some artificial lighting and/or reflectors to come anywhere near the illumination required for comparison of some of the cleared out original sandbar in comparison photographs, but I'm sure that is common knowledge. What are the regulations of that area for brushclearing. Any permits required or restrictions to do such from authorities?

Here's perhaps the best image of the big tree in the PGF taken from MK Davis' transparency scan. We need more unobstructed views of the big tree that cover 180 degrees. It's certainly a good candidate if it was the only big tree at ground zero.

bigtree2.png