The Munns Report

norseman

In Steve's post above #1358, he shows the Ladder tree (TN-6, by my designation) and some of you may not have seen a real clear photo of this tree and why it is so distinctive.

LadderTreebestshot.jpg

This is my best photo of the ladder tree, so called because of its many short horizontal branches sticking out like rungs of a ladder. It is a fine match for Steve's photo above. I tried copying his photo so I could put it beside this one, but some glitch in the system saved it as a jpg. form that Photoshop won't open. So it is noted as being above in post 1358.

I haven't moved on a final analysis of the site map and my computer site model because we are still trying to resolve some discrepancy with Google Earth images of the GPS noted on the site mapping diagram.

For now, I thought forum members would like to see the ladder tree more clearly and appreciate how it matches the photo posted previously.

Bill

Here are the double-checked coordinates given by Robert's GPS (Garmin Oregon 200, using Cabela's CA=NV grid) unit:

N 41 26.403'

W 123 42.116'

When I went to Google Earth and rolled the mouse over the first sighting spot and then my best estimate for the Frame 352 zone, here is what I got:

sighting,

41 26" 24.72" N

123 42' 06.84" W

center of site,

41 26' 25.10" N

123 42' 06.20" W

I don't know too much about GPS, frankly, so someone else can look into this, and figure out the notational differences, OK?

Ian had another unit and took readings, but he has to retrieve his unit and computer from storage, so I'm still waiting on that aspect.

Ian tells me there is great variance from unit to unit.

BFBM

Edited by BigfootBookman

You can use the GPS notation in Google earth. On my version, you just need to go to tools, options, 3-D view, "Degrees, decimal minutes" under show lat/long. The estimate and GPS were off by about 50 feet by the way as I figured it but that is pretty good when interpreting off of google earth.

Edited by BobZenor

Bill wrote:

I tried copying his photo so I could put it beside this one, but some glitch in the system saved it as a jpg. form that Photoshop won't open. So it is noted as being above in post 1358.

Regarding 'saving images', Bill...one simple way of saving them, that might get around that problem you had...is to make a 'screen capture'...by using the 'Control and 'Print Screen' keys.

The 'captured' image can then be pasted into an Image Editing program....(I use Irfanview)....and saved as any type 'File' that the Program is capable of 'saving as'.

Using that method...it doesn't matter what the original Image's 'File extension' is...it will just be copied to the computer's clipboard...and can then be pasted, anywhere. :)

Edited by SweatyYeti

Steve:

Here's my Google earth take on the Long/latts you provided above.

On the image, I used the ruler function to show a measured distance of slightly under 400', which is about right for measuring from Roger's start filming position to the North Trees (Big Tree, Ladder tree, etc.)

That gives us a sense of the scale of the creek area.

SiteV2scaled.jpg

So the filming seems to fit this local fairly well.

Bill

Sweati: yeah, I do use screen capture, but I had saved Steve's images and thought all was okay with the save, until I moved it over to my main workstation (which is offline) and tried to open the saves and couldn't.

Anyways, you are correct in that the screen print works great.

Bill, that is the spot. However, I'd rotate your line sideways a bit to the east, and bend it into a mild curve downward. To my eye it seems a bit long, but it would include both the initial sighting on the creek, just past the large downed tree and rootball, as well as the main action up on the sandbar.

See below for Big News!

Steve:

Here's my Google earth take on the Long/latts you provided above.

On the image, I used the ruler function to show a measured distance of slightly under 400', which is about right for measuring from Roger's start filming position to the North Trees (Big Tree, Ladder tree, etc.)

That gives us a sense of the scale of the creek area.

SiteV2scaled.jpg

So the filming seems to fit this local fairly well.

Bill

UPDATE:

Folks, I do believe this nails it. Here is Robert Leiterman's most recent sketch outline and comparison of main points of correspondence found between our grid map survey and the 1971 Rene Dahinden "aerial" shot of the site. The map is rotated a bit to match better with the perspective found in Rene's photograph.

What do you think? Bill, I will send you the full-resolution version of this shortly.

BFBM

post-37-058190600 1320701601_thumb.jpg

Click to ENLARGE image.

Edited by BigfootBookman

Steve:

I'm trying to develop a map of the path into the site, from the nearest town on the map.

Could you describe the trip in, identifying roads or highways and estimating distances for each leg of the trip?

Can post here or email me.

Bill

hey Bill..

Another odd suggestion from me. In the zoomed in sat pic, look at the trees. There is an area just east that shows some recent (years?) logging so it is full of new growth. The trees are much smaller. When you look at the area you have pinned, you can see the same effect. The smaller, new growth is showing. So imagine, the area of new growth with no vegetation. Does this have a close approximation to what the site may have looked like?

Guest StankApe

Bill, i know you haven't confirmed any height for Patty as of yet, but do you have the height of the person in the Green photo? ( i was comparing the two above pics and overlaying them using the fallen trees width as guides to attempt to get a guess at Patty's height using the subject in the Green photo as a guide, yet I don't know his height)

Yeah, i know they are taken at 2 slightly different angles, but i figured I could get a rough estimate this way.

Thanx!

Stankape:

The man in Green's film is Jim McClarin, 6' 5" in shoes.

Wheelug:

I don't know much about logging, so I can't really comment on your remarks. I think the sun's shadow angle in the Google Earth display also makes it harder to appraise the creek detail, but we seem to have enough corroboration to verify that's the site.

Bill

Edited by Bill

I've covered this rather extensively on my blog over the past couple of years. I can work up a brief summary sometime soon, but for now:

http://bigfootbooksblog.blogspot.com/

and drop "Bluff Creek" into the search box on the right hand side.

This blog post is the first part of my tour guide to the area, from last year:

http://bigfootbooksb...ot-history.html

(There are topo maps in this one.)

There are three main routes in to the site, each with its own virtues. One may also get there by bushwhacking down from Lonesome Ridge Road, but we haven't tried that way yet. I wouldn't recommend the National Geographic helicopter method, personally.

BFBM

Steve:

I'm trying to develop a map of the path into the site, from the nearest town on the map.

Could you describe the trip in, identifying roads or highways and estimating distances for each leg of the trip?

Can post here or email me.

Bill

Edited by BigfootBookman

From your pin.. if you move over to the right about two inches.. then slightly downward. You should see a difference in the picture.

You will see two distinct areas of green. The darker foliage displays the larger/taller trees, this denotes elder forest.

The slightly lighter and more bunched together denote a younger forest, smaller trees. This is a section or two that was logged at some point in time.

The area that you have pinned is also showing smaller trees. This would show an area of new growth, that would also back up the fact that a flood had cleared the area at some point in time.

If you don't.. thats cool. :rolleyes:

Request for Contributions of information:

In working with Steve on the Bluff Creek site analysis, I've been putting together some maps for reference, at fairly high resolution.

Now that we have a positive ID of the site (in relation to maps), I'd like to also map out the following paths:

1. Steve's path into the site this year (which he most likely will be the source of)

2. Any known info describing Patterson's and Gimlin's path in, where they camped, where they traveled the filming day, the route to the Arcata area for the film drop, and their path out to go home, if known. Any descriptions of this would be appreciated.

3. The described path of Bob Heironimous to meet Roger there and do his thing (would be nice to map out his claimed route, and actually see if it meshes with the other map info).

4. Any suggested landmarks for any of the above (like where is Louse Camp), where did Roger park his truck, where did Bob H part his buick, etc.

It's important as a reference that this map make no judgment as to the veracity of any claims or stories, but rather try to document what has been described by the person's involved (except for Steve, who's trip is more respectfully documented and thus is not debatable). SO I welcome any suggestions of landmarks I should include, even if you don't know exactly where they are, and if you don't know, I'll work to find them if I can.

Because some other non-PGF work is ramping up for me, time does not permit me to search through all the material for these path descriptions, so if anyone can help by distilling the dresciptions to basic map directions (take such and such, north, and then go left at this and that, , , sort of thing) I would greatly appreciate the help. I do hope to them make these very high resolution maps and charts available as reference charts and available for download by all interested.

Thanks,

Bill

It's a total sketch, but here are some of the landmarks noted.

post-37-006378100 1320727511_thumb.jpg

Gimlin confirmed the entrance and exit routes this summer.

"Down Onion Mountain road to the bottom, turned left."

That would be just outside of Louse Camp, or at the Bluff Creek Bridge near our theorized campsite if that is what he meant by actually hitting the creek level.

The exit route in turquoise shows the dead end at the mudslide on the old creekside road, where their truck got stuck and was hanging precariously above the creek.

CLICK TO ENLARGE IMAGES

Ian's map from his GPS software, showing conditions currently present on 12N13H, the spur down to the film site, as of late last year.

post-37-040760000 1320727707_thumb.jpg

Note: the PGF site is at the bottom of the landslide as noted.

The driving access ends at "road blocked," and from there one walks down to the bottom, then heads back upstream.

An older GPS map, with currently irrelevant notations. The main road running through is 12N13, which stems off from 12N12 (Cedar Camp Road), off from the G-O Road (a.k.a. Eyesee Road, or FR-15) from Orleans/Hwy 96.

post-37-064649300 1320727938_thumb.jpg

Overview of the Bluff Creek headwaters.

post-37-013835700 1320728005_thumb.jpg

Ahem! Urgh! NOT the film site:

post-37-098045600 1320728045_thumb.jpg

BFBM

Edited by BigfootBookman

• gigantor unlocked this topic