The Type Specimen Quiz

norseman

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Few are investing in that potentially huge pay-off, however, because few are impressed with the evidence purported for such creatures. That's it. No conspiracy, no groupthink, no protectionism of hallowed ideas - just folks unconvinced that there are real bigfoots to find.

I have said in the past, that it is a risk vs. reward.

The risk would be investing a lot of money in a venture that at this time has very little supporting evidence.

You might say 'But there are footprints and people's stories, and that is how they found the mountain gorilla and/or the Okapi.'

That was a different place, wild Africa, a place that disease, and savage tribes prevented explorers from reaching.

The sightings by the natives were of a localized area, the sightings did not cover all of Africa, there were no driveways, or paved roads, any Gorilla sightings were in the Gorilla's territory. Gorillas weren't showing up in the outskirts of Cairo, or on the cart paths of Zanzibar. They were seen deep in the forest, where stepping into an opening that contained a human shelter, meant that the gorilla was STILL in the forest.

Bigfoot lives in North America, it shows up in Rest areas, farm fields, interstate highways, dirt roads, driveways, and dog pens of Semi-Rural areas across a vast swath of territory. The creature is by sighting reports THE MOST WIDESPREAD LARGE MAMMAL ON THE CONTINENT.

There is no physical bigfoot to be found, therefore the risk is too high.

The potential reward is enormous. however, weighed with the extraordinarily low low odds of there being such a wide-ranging creature, in well-developed and explored areas, makes the reward ridiculously lower than the outlay of risk.

The risk is not worth the reward in other words.

I could get a tissue sample with my knife. However, with my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I could probably execute an Ezekiel or a Rear Naked Choke, and render the beast unconscious.

Heh, no offense Drew, but this inspires a mental picture of that old Samsonite luggage comercial,....and you're the luggage.:lol:

Magniaesir- Was the moose all in one piece? You can tell that I do not hunt, just fish.

Surely not.

A) The animal should be gutted as soon as possible to cool the meat down and prevent it from spoiling.

B) Logistically speaking moving a 1000 lbs animal all in one piece simply isn't doable.

Like John, I would just take the feet, hands, and head. This is going to sound bizarre but since I am in the medical profession, I would also include the testes, if male, or get the ovaries, if female, for the ova and sperm. You would need to keep the testes warm though, if the body was fresh, don't throw them in a cooler. It would be interesting to see if you could combine it with another primate's ova or sperm assuming any survived transport. I would want to see what it's organs looked like and if they were in the same places as ours.

I just don't think this is doable (keeping the organs intact). But maybe it would be if the head, hands and feet were taken and then the rest was left as is and cached. I have a large mule that could yard the carcass way up into a tree, after I wrapped it in mantee tarps.

Maybe science would rather us go that route than to butcher and take it out in a game animal fashion?

It depends on the circumstances of the situation, how I felt about the creature once I saw it up close, or if I felt it was safe or ethical to do such a thing. I keep thinking about all the unknowns like AIDS, no matter how well gloved you are things do splatter. I guess it's always good to have a general idea in mind as to what you would do and what precautions to take even if it is unlikely that you will ever be put in this position.

Good point. This is something I never considered before, as an ape it may have communicable diseases to humans?

I go out into the woods able but not prepared. If bigfoot is an animal, it belongs to the State, and by killing it I'm in trouble. If it is a man, I'm in trouble.

The assumption that surely riches will follow the slaying of a bigfoot is optomistic and not realistic. A guest spot on Lenno isn't exactly easy street for ever after. And while on the topic of realistic viewpoints, to think only the Guvmint can "save" bigfoot is way out there.

I want to know for me............I could care less about "Science Inc."

I go out into the woods able but not prepared. If bigfoot is an animal, it belongs to the State, and by killing it I'm in trouble. If it is a man, I'm in trouble.

Do you honestly think they are going to write you a ticket because you produced one of the most important scientific discoveries to date?

Screw it, I'd take the ticket anyhow.

If you killed a hoaxer? That's another matter entirely.

The assumption that surely riches will follow the slaying of a bigfoot is optomistic and not realistic. A guest spot on Lenno isn't exactly easy street for ever after.

Fame and fortune may indeed follow something like this, if the person chose that route.

And while on the topic of realistic viewpoints, to think only the Guvmint can "save" bigfoot is way out there.

So you think the endangered species act is a farce?

I want to know for me............I could care less about "Science Inc."

I'm finding that out around here. Which is disheartening.

I voted yes. With the understanding that different people have different thoughts on the actual "ethics" of killing something for science to prove it's existence. May sound cruel but it's reality, (again just my opinion).

Admin

Do you honestly think they are going to write you a ticket because you produced one of the most important scientific discoveries to date?

Screw it, I'd take the ticket anyhow.

If you killed a hoaxer? That's another matter entirely.

If you killed a BF and it proved human vs. animal, you be in line for more than a ticket....

If it's an animal, therefore wildlife, in most States (US), it would in fact belong to that State who would-upon discovery of the death-promptly impound it.

Almost forgot. Yes, technically, I'm always ready to take a specimen but that would probably be unecessary after I notified the proper authorities :rolleyes:

Edited by masterbarber

The first kill would come with a "get out of jail free card" seeing as it is not a recognized species. Unless you are in the two cities where a law has been passed. Skamania County WA and Whitehall NY. Parts of Canada also have laws.

If you killed a BF and it proved human vs. animal, you be in line for more than a ticket....

I find that doubtful....

If it's an animal, therefore wildlife, in most States (US), it would in fact belong to that State who would-upon discovery of the death-promptly impound it.

Great! I would in fact probably contact a University first and let those two entities hash it out.

Admin

I find that doubtful....

Fair enough. Which part? the manslaughter charge that may follow or the fact that humans (yes in parts ALL humans) are given protection under the US Constitution.

Great! I would in fact probably contact a University first and let those two entities hash it out.

Not me. I'm positive I could get Video and Photos to all of the major news outlets (for a small service charge :D ) before the DNR could get through all of the ensuing channels of red tape....

Edited by masterbarber

Where did I say the Endangered Species Act is a farce? The ESA is for documented species, and so far, from discovery to listing is a long twisted path. Various groups would have vested interests in keeping the status quo going. Do you know that the "Authorities" do not know of the existence of bigfoot, or do you assume that to be the case?

If the slain bigfoot was determined to be a primitive human, and if those same Authorities decided to dismiss murder charges against me "for the time being", I'd have no reason to proclaim on TV that I'd killed bigfoot for the paltry monies I'd receive wouldn't even begin to cover my legal expenses if the charges were subsequently filed.

Without getting too far from the intent of the question posed in the opening post, I think many fail to consider the ramifications of "taking" a type specimen. Oh, by the way, you have to make it out of the woods without bumping into any upset relatives of "your" specimen!

Where did I say the Endangered Species Act is a farce?

Through your own words......such as "guvmint". And the fact that you think state and federal agencies are hiding something. Yes, I assume that our government does not know the existence of Sasquatch.....

If the slain bigfoot was determined to be a primitive human, and if those same Authorities decided to dismiss murder charges against me "for the time being",

Homo Neanderthalsis and Homo Sapiens are not considered to be the same species. So I think a judge would have a long road to hoe, and probably through a SCOTUS decision to prove that you had just committed murder, even if Bigfoot does prove to be a fellow hominid. Which I do not believe he is. He is a great ape, but not of our lineage.

I'd have no reason to proclaim on TV that I'd killed bigfoot for the paltry monies I'd receive wouldn't even begin to cover my legal expenses if the charges were subsequently filed.

Money is an issue you have seemed to weigh carefully in all this.

Without getting too far from the intent of the question posed in the opening post, I think many fail to consider the ramifications of "taking" a type specimen.

You have no idea......

Oh, by the way, you have to make it out of the woods without bumping into any upset relatives of "your" specimen!

Of course......I'll also have to make it past the UFO death rays and also keep from getting sucked into inter dimensional time warps!!!

Hunting dangerous game? Is dangerous......... But a large ape isn't the Hatfields or the McCoys.

Through your own words......such as "guvmint". And the fact that you think state and federal agencies are hiding something. Yes, I assume that our government does not know the existence of Sasquatch.....

( I don't make that assumption.......neither of us can prove our position. )

Homo Neanderthalsis and Homo Sapiens are not considered to be the same species. So I think a judge would have a long road to hoe, and probably through a SCOTUS decision to prove that you had just committed murder, even if Bigfoot does prove to be a fellow hominid. Which I do not believe he is. He is a great ape, but not of our lineage.

( It would cause a hassle I don't need )

Money is an issue you have seemed to weigh carefully in all this.

( Really? )

You have no idea......

( OK.........just posted my thoughts on "taking" a specimen, didn't mean to get you upset! )

Of course......I'll also have to make it past the UFO death rays and also keep from getting sucked into inter dimensional time warps!!!

( I don't eat those mushrooms while in the woods! )

Hunting dangerous game? Is dangerous......... But a large ape isn't the Hatfields or the McCoys.

( Seriously?..............Good Luck Huntin' Dude! )

Edited by John T