How Would You Capture Or Kill A Sasquatch?

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

First off this is not the thread for pro kill or anti kill. This is for discussion on how any of us would go about trying to capture or if needed to kill a very fast, powerfull and intelligent creature. A creature that has superior senses and physical abilities than ours? For scientific identification of course, then the debate is over.

Capture.

1. Okay so maybe you would just hold it long enough to obtain the required proof (48 hours?) then set it free. How would this be achieved? They could bend steel bars I bet, so besides risking killing one in a box car, How from start to finish?

Kill.

2. Okay now here the other side, how would a hunter kill one and get it back in one piece for identification. One shot won't bring one down. You would need to track it and finish the job miles deep into the mountains. Maybe even at night with it or others screaming at you or worse? How?

Tree stand and baiting only works for less intelligent creatures. Tree knocking, call blasting and trail cams are almost successful. Anyways we got enough blobsquatches already with trying to film them.

We need to go for the gold or go big or go home etc,etc. Whats your plan?

Guest Lesmore

Use a tranquillizer gun....put it on the setting for Polar bear...that ought to be enough. Put the tranqed Bigfootin a Bear cage, the type (wheels) they use in Churchill, Mb....if it holds a full grown male Polar bear, don't think BF will be a challenge.

Then keep BF in a concrete and steel cage...made to the standards of the Polar Bear jail in Churchill.

If you capture near a road, haul it out, while it's tranqed and put in the cage on wheels, if not use a Helicopter to haul it out of the deep forest.

Use the same type of helicopter (lifting capacity) and rigging they use in Churchill to haul out a tranqed Polar Bear...time is of the essence.

Why reinvent the process...use what works for large, powerful, angry animals such as Polar Bears.

Then have the president of the local skeptics club, some noted scientists, etc...to examine, take tests, record, document...then tranq it up again, let it go.

Always have a spotter on duty, well versed in firearms and make sure the spotter is equipped with a Big Game rifle...something like the European (Czech made) CZ Magnum. Some time ago I read that they were very popular among great white hunter- guides in Africa as they don't jam and are very accurate, with the heavy punch needed to knock down a big game animal...with one shot.

You don't want to kill BF...but if all H...E...double hockey sticks... breaks out and BF comes at you or others....be prepared.

Here's a pix of the Polar Bear Jail....

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationalpost.com%2Fscripts%2Fstory.html%3Fid%3D2322640&rct=j&q=churchill%20mb...bear%20control&ei=hc0fTdz7KODtnQfbs4CmDg&usg=AFQjCNHWaGog48qvPdeD4WqzbleJEjFBhg&cad=rja

Edited by Lesmore

Guest tracker

Okay so do you guys have those resourses at your disposal? tranq or net gun, helicopters, bear cages, crowd control foam? That will cost you 100k to start for all that. and who would you bring in to confirm the find? who would believe you? who would you trust?

What about step one, two and three? locating and getting off a clear shot then finding him after he bolts? Or are we assuming one wanders into your camp during the day and waits for you to take your perfect shot, then lays down in the middle of your cargo net?

What are we prepared to do since this is the extreme perhaps in hunting or live capture. Live in the wild like action jackson for nine months of the year YNP every year. Or dedicate your whole life like Rene going after it? Or does it happen nice and neat on a weekend excusion and you back home on Sunday in time for dinner?

As incredible as it sounds one of the two options needs to happen, film will never do. Who's prepared to do what it takes and it won't be cheap or easy. dry.gif

Guest Spazmo

Okay so do you guys have those resourses at your disposal? tranq or net gun, helicopters, bear cages, crowd control foam? That will cost you 100k to start for all that. and who would you bring in to confirm the find? who would believe you? who would you trust?

What about step one, two and three? locating and getting off a clear shot then finding him after he bolts? Or are we assuming one wanders into your camp during the day and waits for you to take your perfect shot, then lays down in the middle of your cargo net?

What are we prepared to do since this is the extreme perhaps in hunting or live capture. Live in the wild like action jackson for nine months of the year YNP every year. Or dedicate your whole life like Rene going after it? Or does it happen nice and neat on a weekend excusion and you back home on Sunday in time for dinner?

As incredible as it sounds one of the two options needs to happen, film will never do. Who's prepared to do what it takes and it won't be cheap or easy. dry.gif

This might be what is necessary. In a discussion with another member, we had brought up the idea of using teams accustomed to night ops and staying out in the field for extended periods. It would not be easy.

I just don't think this is ever going to happen on a "weekender" basis. And I also think it's going to take some money. But there may be a compromise. Volunteer efforts from some hardy individuals who might not be tied to a job or a family, and who feel confident that they can get the job done. They might need to be dropped in somewhere remote, which brings up the issue of extraction and communications. But if we all put our minds to it, I'll bet we could come up with a good plan.

Guest Lesmore

Okay so do you guys have those resourses at your disposal? tranq or net gun, helicopters, bear cages, crowd control foam? That will cost you 100k to start for all that. and who would you bring in to confirm the find? who would believe you? who would you trust? Nope I'm the idea guy, you'll have to find a finance guy.

What are we prepared to do since this is the extreme perhaps in hunting or live capture. Live in the wild like action jackson for nine months of the year YNP every year. Or dedicate your whole life like Rene going after it? Or does it happen nice and neat on a weekend excusion and you back home on Sunday in time for dinner? Again....I'm an idea man :D ....you'll have to assemble the financing, get permits / scout and get approvals for the place, assemble the potential, appropriate team members, approach credible scientific personnel, arrange for their expenses to be paid, etc. :D

I would be surprised...no astounded.... if anybody would be prepared to finance and organize such a project. Sorry to say, IMO, it won't happen, although it is fun to discuss.

Guest tracker

Yea i know guys, cha ching$

Either we pick up the trail after an encounter and try to run it down. Or we set up shop in an area where multiple sightings have occured. Let say near a river just before the salmon run starts, We set our traps and have an air life ready. We go in with at least thermal equipment, tranq and high powered rifles. We have a support team ready to supply or step in when needed.

Four is a good number for a the response team. Each would need to proficient with fire arms, tracking, medical, hunting, trapping and have strong wood craft skills in general. If they have a science background great but if not we could have one on stand by. Also the hunters would need to be fit and have experience being in dangerous situations. And be able to handle all terrain and the weather as well as themselves. and be able to back up other team members in emegencies. So maybe we are talking about soldiers turned hunters or rangers? It would be rough going and you would need to bring your A game and lots of courage.

Anyways count me in any other volunteers? I know norseman will want in.

If the Adrian Erickson/Melba Ketchum release is anything like the hype, I would not be surprised to see some dollars show up for kill or capture. There are enough bored, wealthy outdoors types to fuel a private search. I would not expect research funding unless the evidence is fairly indisputable.

If there is a breakthrough as far as DNA or video evidence goes, I would think twice before going out in a ghillie suit. :unsure:

Guest Bullfrog
One shot won't bring one down. You would need to track it and finish the job miles deep into the mountains. Maybe even at night with it or others screaming at you or worse? How?

There's no reason one shot couldn't bring one down. A shot through the head with a deer-sized caliber like a .270 or .308 should do just nicely. I don't think I would need to go into detail as to what a high-velocity bullet is going to do to a sasquatch's brain as it flies through at over 2600 feet per second, releasing over 2000lbs of energy as it expands in the soft tissue.......... :lol:

It wouldn't be that small of a target either, presuming a sasquatch's head is basketball sized or bigger. That's about the same size as a deer's vitals behind the shoulder. It would be a reasonable shot that most marksmen could handle with a steady rest out to 200 yards or so.

Guest Lesmore

.17 caliber through the eyeball. One-shot kill without damaging the hide.

To get a shot like that in forest light, with presumably a fast moving object (BF)...you'd have to have shooting skills like Annie Oakley....which I know I don't have.

I would be afraid that a smaller calibre bullet, if it didn't hit the right spot, might just get BF angrier.

Many believe that BF is a very large animal.

For a big game sized animal, most guides I would guess would recommend a rifle suitable for big game.

My thoughts.

I read once that varmit hunters were shooting coyotes in the eye with a .17 caliber at night to avoid damaging the precious hides. I believe they would spotlight them and it made the eyes easy to see. I assume the coyotes would freeze in the spotlight.

Bigfoots presumably have bigger eyes than coyotes. But, I get the impression that bigfoots don't freeze in the spotlight, but evacuate the locale instead. Arming a buddy with a spotlight would have the benefit of not having to worry about angering the bigfoot with a missed shot, as the spotlight would ensure he'd stay away.

Guest Lesmore

I read once that varmit hunters were shooting coyotes in the eye with a .17 caliber at night to avoid damaging the precious hides. I believe they would spotlight them and it made the eyes easy to see. I assume the coyotes would freeze in the spotlight.

Bigfoots presumably have bigger eyes than coyotes. But, I get the impression that bigfoots don't freeze in the spotlight, but evacuate the locale instead. Arming a buddy with a spotlight would have the benefit of not having to worry about angering the bigfoot with a missed shot, as the spotlight would ensure he'd stay away.

Have to be careful.....some jurisdictions have legislation against nightlighting. It maybe difficult to convince a Conservation Officer or a Game Warden, that you're out hunting for Bigfoot, with a .17 calibre rifle...and not game. Particularly in forested areas, not open plains. :)

Edited by Lesmore