How Would You Capture Or Kill A Sasquatch?

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

A capture or kill effort would require enormous funding, human resources, technology and equipment. It wouldn't come together without some solid evidence giving promise that there is such a specimen to collect. First things first would dictate that you need biological samples yeilding the DNA that confirms it is out there. Wet the scientific community's appetite with that and see what happens.

Thats my approach without capture, kill or the expensive logistical nightmare.

I am not going to lose any sleep over the scientific community not having enough DNA or not being involved in the hunt. No one has the proprietorship on finding or studying Sasquatch(no ones an expert). If they want to examine a specimen afterwards something can be arranged. It' doesn't have to be overly expensive either. Four guys with the right training and gear that have enough job flexibility to drop everything and go hunting at a moment notice. This type of hunt would work better suited in vast mountain areas. Where there's no privately owned land and restiction issues, like near a State park boundry. You pick up the trail after a hot tip and run it down to conclusion. There's a good chance the big buggers are still in the area maybe only a few miles away.

PG didn't sit around at a bait station, waiting to take another blobsquatch pic. They went after them with a camera, rifles on horse back. And were prepared to go further and be more determined than the rest. So if you got a few skilled guys with some cahonies, why sit around? We got enough sound recordings and pics of distant mysterious dark shapes or behind trees already. Are we content to play it safe and just try to film one from the next mountain top over? Maybe it's time to ramp up our efforts for pro or anti kill evidence, Thats if we really do want better proof?

Anyways thats my line of thinking and approach, to each his own I guess. tracker. dry.gif

THATS A KNIFE ! Dang too close for my comfort ... Amazing.. on the Cape African Buffalo attack. When I say very lucky I mean VERY LUCKY. Do not rule out infrasound as well.. also issues with things like using logs to destroy vehicles, pushing them down inclines, impeding them with road blocks, throwing big heavy things at you. Regarding any close confrontation .... good luck. I dont really think they would let you engage close enough. But there could be exceptions.. I wonder about the time frame though.. Also about recruitment to your team because over time I expect at least a portion of the teams patience to wither if things do not happen within expectations. Regardless of whether trap or sniper situation. JMHO. There is ease of discussion regarding ideas but implementing it in the field opens up a lot of cans of worms.

Edited by treeknocker

I am not going to lose any sleep over the scientific community not having enough DNA or not being involved in the hunt. No one has the proprietorship on finding or studying Sasquatch(no ones an expert). If they want to examine a specimen afterwards something can be arranged. It' doesn't have to be overly expensive either. Four guys with the right training and gear that have enough job flexibility to drop everything and go hunting at a moment notice. This type of hunt would work better suited in vast mountain areas. Where there's no privately owned land and restiction issues, like near a State park boundry. You pick up the trail after a hot tip and run it down to conclusion. There's a good chance the big buggers are still in the area maybe only a few miles away.

PG didn't sit around at a bait station, waiting to take another blobsquatch pic. They went after them with a camera, rifles on horse back. And were prepared to go further and be more determined than the rest. So if you got a few skilled guys with some cahonies, why sit around? We got enough sound recordings and pics of distant mysterious dark shapes or behind trees already. Are we content to play it safe and just try to film one from the next mountain top over? Maybe it's time to ramp up our efforts for pro or anti kill evidence, Thats if we really do want better proof?

Anyways thats my line of thinking and approach, to each his own I guess. tracker. dry.gif

A well equipped team of horse mounted snipers wouldn't be too cost prohibitive, but you'd need a very accessable hot line to get on fresh tracks or go on hundreds of scouting expeditions to find them. You could drop the idea of capture and cut costs considerably, just remember these things have been done before and didn't result in a body. Atleast if you wing it and didn't drop it on the spot you could collect some tissue or hair. Find some eccentric millionaire and purchase a chopper and tow it around to where a creature was seen then take to the air to hunt it down. This might work but when I watch these shows like (I shouldn't be alive) it becomes apparent that it is difficult to be seen and found from air search and rescue. Being equipped with FLIR you might have a real shot at catching up with him and collecting video, finding trace evidence, a specimen the works.

Guest tracker

Realistically you study up on tracking and hit the shooting range to stay sharp.Then keep a close eye on good areas. If there's a hot new sighting or tracks you do what you can to get there asap. Investigate and track as best or as far you can or are willing to. Bring a couple of buddies to help or watch your back that are handy with a rifle. Or are good at something other than drinking all your beer when you get home. dry.gif

It can be dangerous in the woods so be carefull not let your ego take over.

Guest uprightchimp

Some of my thoughts:

Trapping

There are four schools of thought in trapping.

1) Leg hold trap - The trap is designed to hold the animal by the leg until the trapper can dispatch the animal. In the case of a large dangerous animal, this practice has gone the way of the dodo. You can still by grizzly sized leg hold traps but they are illegal to use. But many states still allow leg hold traps for coyote, bobcat, etc. The upside to the leg hold trap is that a complete trap line can be contained in one gunny sack, making logistics a snap. In the case of a Sasquatch, in theory at least, I suppose you could use a leg hold trap and tranquilize it. But because of the illegal status of such a trap, and the fact that you may be catching bear in the trap? It's a legal mind field.

2) Conibear trap - This trap is designed to crush the neck of the animal humanely, killing it instantly. The biggest conibear trap in the world is a 330, which is not big enough for something that is reportedly as big as a Sasquatch.

3) Live trap - Many states including mine, now require all trapping to be done with a live trap. They are a logistical nightmare for the trapper. And this is within the context of bobcat, coyote and other small fur bearing animals. The size a trap would need to be to attract and capture a big foot would not be logistically feesible. A static built trap would be feesible, but because it's not relocatable would make the trap utterly useless.

4) Snare cable - Super portable and great for logistics. Designed to catch either the leg or the neck depending on the set. But I've never seen a manufactrued snare that would be big enough for the job of snaring a Sasquatch.

I really don't think trapping is the answer to solving this mystery. For one it's indiscriminate, and right now it's under a lot of pressure from many anti trapping groups.

Spot and stalk

This usually involves a good set of binoculars and hours of glassing good game areas. And also generally a high powered rifle and a good scope. Once the animal is spotted the hunter works to get into a down wind shooting position to cleanly take the animal.

The problem I see with this approach is that it requires areas that are condusive to glassing. Many reported bigfoot areas are heavily timbered and the animals are reported only active at night. Add to the fact that your probably going to need to take a long shot? Only adds to the risk of killing a hoaxer. I don't like this approach to the Sasquatch pro kill question.

Calling

Many hunters use calls to call in game, and they do this successfully right across the spectrum of game animals. From ducks to turkeys to coyotes to bear to elk.......it works very well. Some calls are designed to sound like a potential mate while others are designed to sound like potential prey. The down side to this is what does a Sasquatch sound like? What is he attracted to? There is SOME potential here, if a system could be perfected. But I think for our goals of taking ONE and only ONE, it may be folly. Although BF researchers do claim success from call "blasting".

Lure and bait

One can lure an animal in many different ways, but the two most successful ones are similar to calling.....potential food source, potential mate. I see BF researchers using ape pheremone chips and I also see them using small caches of food. I even witnessed one man using wind chimes and other curiousity type lures. I think this one has a lot of potential, hunters have used these techniques to ambush prey for eons. And it seems to have been successful for the "skookum cast". I like this approach because it almost assures that the hunter will be within close approximity of a animal and can judge it's authenticity hopefully successfully. I've even thought about getting it dead to rights and then shouting a verbal challenge before actually shooting. I think any hoaxer is giving it up at that moment in time. But I'm 99 percent confident that at 50 yards I can make a positive ID between something real and something being hoaxed.

Tracking

As the name states, a hunter cuts a track and follows it to the source. Dogs can also be used in the pursuit, depending on the species and country. In northern Europe and Russia, they use Laika's to hunt everything from Boar to Moose. But in the states the main "hound" game species are Raccoon (most popular by far), Bear, Bobcat, Cougar and Boar. This style of hunting has a lot of potential as well. Although hound hunting is right along side trapping as far as being under fire by "anti" groups. But I'm skeptical that a man could track down a Sasquatch by himself. The only way the gig is going to end up in your favor is if your eating more ground than the quarry is. Which is a unrealistic expectation for an animal that takes one step to your three. But a good couple of dogs, changes that equation entirely. I often times hear people state that it takes a lot to "imprint" a hound to a given species. I have never found this to be true within reason. If you have a good **** hound, he is going to be able to track cougar or bear as well. A couple of drags is in order to get him in the right "mindset". My hounds run cougar, bear AND ****, they are treeing walkers and redbones. Now a good **** hound could get ruined upon his first run when he encounters something other than a ****, and is too aggressive for his own good. If he gets popped he may not want to go again, a houndsman has to be able to read the disposition of the dog. The nose is only one part of the equation.

Spot lighting or other

Spot lighting generally is not as illegal as people think it is. Generally **** hunters with hounds and coyote hunters all employ spotlights in their hunts. The key is that generally speaking either the seasons do not overlap with big game seasons OR it's unlawful to use a light during those seasons. As we all know that spot lighting for big game is generally illegal. To put it bluntly, most reports identify Sasquatch as a nocturnal creature. This perplexes me because all of the other apes, including us have trichromatic vision and there for do not venture out at night. But if the reports are to be taken seriously one had better be ready to invest in at least a good tactical shooting light and some sort of attachment point on a rifle. Of course there are now much more serious "toys" to be had, such as night vision scopes and FLIR scopes. Both of these types of scopes allow a shooter to attach them to a rifle and zero them. I won't get into the technology here, but either of these high end scope technologies would make hunting at night a fairly mundane affair. I've used both and they are the real deal.

The Hunter

I've been 50 miles from the pickup truck while packing ALONE, I wouldn't advise it to anyone. It's kind of like SCUBA diving by yourself, if something goes wrong, the only person that can get you out of the jam is YOU. Make your wife a happy woman and pair up with somebody. The military has a saying "two is one and one is none". Rambo is a sham guys, team work is the key to our species success.

The Team

I've had some military style training in my life, and I really think that this style of mindset would be the largest asset to any BF hunter groups out there. It just needs to be tweaked in order to make it successful in this style of operation. To place strength in the team it could be setup like any "A" team in the US Army special forces groups. In which each member has a specialty, although many of their specialties would not be useful in a BF hunter team, you get the jist.

a)Team leader

b)Medic/Corpsman

c)Tracker w or w/o dog

d)Communications expert and Assistant Team Leader

e)Weapons expert

f)Reconnaissance expert

This is not a rigid list but a well rounded list that could be added to or subtracted from. Each patrol would have at least two members and would be in radio contact with a patrol base at all times.

Weapons

Any weapon used would need to be sufficient in taking a 800 lbs omnivore cleanly. Think Grizzly bear here. I'm not a big proponent of taking long shots because of lack of authenticity in what we are hunting. Therefore we should resolve ourselves on taking close shots. The downside to this approach is that it places the shooter danger close to the animal. No shot should ever be made without your "battle buddy" backing you up. He can spot the shot for you as well as back you up in the case of malfunction.

Weapon lethality vs. ammo capacity. Would a person rather carry a double barrel .500 nitro express? Or would a M1A scout in .308 and 20 round detachable box magazine be a better choice? Rifles are just like tools on a work bench, and generally there is more than one tool that can get the job done. There are also new rifles that are beginning to fill the void, such as the .50 Beowulf, the .458 Socom and the .450 Bushmaster. AR platforms shooting large caliber rifle rounds. I think this is all up to the individual, since we are probably talking about something individually purchased. But if I was a team leader I would put a bare minimum requirement caliber wise on the team. We have all heard uncle Buck's story about killing a bear with a .22, remember the mission and remember your commitment to your fellow team members. The caliber should be capable of stopping any charge and take the animal quickly and humanely.

Camouflage

All apes possess trichomacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichromacy

We have to assume that if we have eyes on a Sasquatch, he is looking back at us with the same capability we are observing him with......our gift of trichromatic vision.

Hunting camo is all the rage, but in my mind at least it is very specialized camo. If your going to set up a deer stand in a oak tree, there are several choices out there to match you with that oak tree. But what if there are no oak trees around? Generally speaking hunting camo takes "prints" of vegatation and overlays it onto fabric. Military camo on the other hand is more generalized and works well in a wider range of situations. I personally think multi cam is a great choice, but there are others. Again this could be an individual choice but probably up to a team leader's discreation. Also.....paint up, our faces are very discernable in the bush, the goal is to make a negative of your face. And make sure you reapply as it wears off.

Mission

Unlike BF researchers that are not pro kill, and with time and resources being precious, it must be understood by everyone that a three month old track is just that.......a three month old track. Document it quickly and move on. The goal should be harvesting a type specimen and "old sign" doesn't help you accomplish that mission in the short term. Obviously as a data base emerges, a team could begin crunching the numbers, observing patterns and make educated attempts to get ahead of the game. But the direct mission objective (a type specimen) should always be the first and foremost objective with only using trace evidence as a means to that end.

Reporting:

The military uses the SALUTE report:

S-Size

A-Activity

L-Location

U-Unit

T-Time

E-Equipment

This could easily be changed to accomodate our needs. It's purpose is to make a clear, concise report quickly on a radio, allowing for as much information to be passed without compromising the patrol. And it stops such conversations as this on the radio:

Me "Hey Bob!"

Bob "Yaah?"

Me "I see something in the bushes"

Bob "Where?"

Me "About 50 feet in front of me"

Bob "Where are you at?"

Me "Ummmm over by the big snag"

Bob "Which snag?"

Me "The BIG one!"

Bob "I have no idea...."

Maps

The military usually will "grid" their maps. This is a grid overlay that allows for quick reference. Longitude lines could be given a number value while latitude lines could be given a alphabet value. So now you are in grid reference square A6 or Alpha Six by using the military phonetic alphabet. As opposed to simply using long/lat or section, township and range in civilian maps.

I could go on for hours, but I'll post this and let everyone respond.......

Guest uprightchimp

oh yeah, that's just about the way it should be done-almost like a paramilitary mission, youve got to have top-notch people in your team, plan on working on a real system with support backup, & remember that even if you dont see any other bigfoots in the area, you can always bet that there are some, like family or clan memebers. choppers would be an asset too (if you could get them) maybe to assist in location of said target prey or of the others that could be close by. get to the subject, trank it or kill it ( if worse comes to worse) keep any others of its kind @ bay for a short time if possible (spray sleeping tranks from chopper) get a viable capture method worked out, find a way to get it & yourselves out of the area FAST! before the other bigfoots wake up. it would take a lot of planning & no, it would not be cheap, but if planned right it could be done-remember your not dealing with most other animals here but a primate kin of ourselves that is very intelligent & very agile in its inviroment & that could be extremly dangerous if provoked in any way (just read other reports about this, & youll know what I mean.)

I suppose a band of 'small people'with limited experience in pursuing their quarry, could concievably use some sophisticated strategy and high tech equipment run down or trap a fully grown and experienced wilderness expert out in the wild too, but if they approach that hypothetical wilderness expert as if it were just another animal equipped with even the smartest animal's relatively small brains and demonstrably limited ability to percieve human intentions, I suspect they wouldn't be very successful, unless they've first shown with some previous effort that they could dependably and predicatably get within verifiable range of the creature they are supposedly going to find.

Who knows that the military hasn't already done this on their own bases, such as Hunter Liggett and been using BF to train our guys in field manuevers? :blink:

Just thinking out loud.

I suppose a band of 'small people'with limited experience in pursuing their quarry, could concievably use some sophisticated strategy and high tech equipment run down or trap a fully grown and experienced wilderness expert out in the wild too, but if they approach that hypothetical wilderness expert as if it were just another animal equipped with even the smartest animal's relatively small brains and demonstrably limited ability to percieve human intentions, I suspect they wouldn't be very successful, unless they've first shown with some previous effort that they could dependably and predicatably get within verifiable range of the creature they are supposedly going to find.

If one was deploying military tactics with ex military (or trained by) personnel? The military's bread and butter is hunting down their fellow man. And the trick would be to "dumb down" military tactics to engage an animal that doesn't carry full auto small arms or has radio contact with others of it's own kind.

The whole system would have to be tweaked to confront a close range, angry ape that's sole interest is to bludgeon you to death. Sniper fire would not be a consideration, land mines would not be a consideration, far ambushes would not be a consideration. So forth and so on, some of the playbook we could just throw out. The rest could be refined to fit the task at hand.

I'm not saying that Sasquatch is a dumb animal, but what I'm saying is that he is significantly less sophisticated than what the normal quarry of a military system is intended to catch.

It is a very good platform from which to build on, if we are considering working in teams.

oh yeah, that's just about the way it should be done-almost like a paramilitary mission, youve got to have top-notch people in your team, plan on working on a real system with support backup, & remember that even if you dont see any other bigfoots in the area, you can always bet that there are some, like family or clan memebers. choppers would be an asset too (if you could get them) maybe to assist in location of said target prey or of the others that could be close by. get to the subject, trank it or kill it ( if worse comes to worse) keep any others of its kind @ bay for a short time if possible (spray sleeping tranks from chopper) get a viable capture method worked out, find a way to get it & yourselves out of the area FAST! before the other bigfoots wake up. it would take a lot of planning & no, it would not be cheap, but if planned right it could be done-remember your not dealing with most other animals here but a primate kin of ourselves that is very intelligent & very agile in its inviroment & that could be extremly dangerous if provoked in any way (just read other reports about this, & youll know what I mean.)

I think a chopper and a machine gun that shoots sleeping darts is rather fanciful.

If a team finds one, they shoot it to the ground, most of the team sets up a 360 defensive perimeter, while a couple members perform the needed tasks on the body to collect a type specimen and document the objective. The team leader would call in a sitrep and long/lat coordinates to the operations base. And the team would leave the objective in a tactical manner with somebody walking tail end charlie. At a later date a heavier extraction team could come in and remove the rest of the remains, under strict orders to not fire unless provoked.

We only need one body, but let's face it, we are not losing any team members over this. Everybody gets home safe, that is the top priority.

Ground teams equipped with a system like this gunfire detector http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunshot_Location_Detection_System and programed to detect wood knocks and transmitting the location information to an air team equipped with thermal and tranquilizing agents or darts could probably get the job done in a week in the right location.

Guest uprightchimp

well southernyahoo, you have the right idea there-bigfoot may not have guns on themselves, but their rock throwing ablities are 2nd to none. & they do work in teams like we do. I remember reading about one report (BFRO) where this one tracker was ex military himself and the incident that occured with him almost made him think is back in the war (maybe it was 'NAM, I dont know for sure) but he had the direct impression that the "enemy" if you will was sizing him up in a all too human way almost (minus the gun on BF's part ofcourse) but it is the extreme mobilty that bigfoot has on humans & as you might know from reading about many reports that bigfoot is FAST on 2 legs, never mind all 4-only in a jeep or other vehical do you have a chance of getting away if BF decides to chase you (which is well documented from other reports of years past) on your OWN 2 feet you dont have a snowball's chance in hell :o to get away un hurt!

Edited by uprightchimp

Please list a documented report of a human injury caused by bigfoot.

Don't mean to dash cold water on this idear, but c'mon now, it's easy to make reports but not so easy to actually bring in any proof, such as a law enforcement report.

Guest vilnoori

I think the best way to get a sasquatch would be to get a baby or a kid. Kind of like the Jacko story. You would probably have to kill an adult sasq because it would be nigh on impossible to contain him after capture. It would be difficult to kill one too. But if you have located a family unit it would be (marginally) possible to find an unguarded baby or toddler and make off with it. If you survived the attempt you'd have the find of the century, and it would be possible to mine a lot more info from a living sasquatch than a dead one. A living young sasquatch could also be tamed/domesticated or socialized to humans and used to approach a wild clan in future years.

Of course this is all rather pie in the sky. Sigh.

I always wondered what would happen if you wondered up on an orphaned sasquatch. That would be the ideal way to get one,I would think, a kid that hadn't learned anything from the parents yet before disaster struck, craves attention, and you are something similar walking on two legs. Now here is my dilemma, what do you do with it? I would die if I turned it over to authorities and they didn't treat it right, but yet I don't think I could take care of a sasquatch baby without some help......I guess I would just get in contact with Vilnoori and make a long drive to Canada :lol: