How Would You Capture Or Kill A Sasquatch?

Guest tracker

This is my favorite "hunting dangerous game" video... it involves a group of hunters, and a Lion.

#1 if you dont like hunting videos where things get shot, dont watch it.

#2 if you do, the thing that amazes me is A) how big Lion's are, B ) that the one guy is only about 6 inches from getting his throat ripped out....

Now on to Sasquatch.....

#1 I'm actually in the "no-kill" camp for the most part- one exception, self defense of course.

If "big-guy" wants to play, and make an attempt at turning the tables, then i'd have no problem at all

in defending myself, and others who may/may not be present at that time.

I personally dont see that scenario happening at all- unless like other wild animals A) has been injured (fight or flight), B ) has offspring nearby that it will definitely die trying to protect, or C) has been cornered and put in a position where fighting its way out is its only option...

#2 There's alot of talk of weapons, my personal choice would be a .458 Winchester Magnum. It's basically a .375 H&H cartridge blown out and widened.... and will fire a 500 grain (yea 500).458 bullet at 2200 feet per second.

I have personally fired rounds that went through good size maple trees (that had the target afixed).

The reason for the .458 ?? Keeps the high power rifle power, but with a huge, wide, and super heavy projectile.

It's a tough rifle to sight in, or target practice with, as your shoulder pays a heavy burden and normally is black and blue that evening...

#3 Weapon choice aside, I think there are other factors that will more than likely have a greater impact on the ability to hunt or capture one of these creatures. It's been pointed out numerous times that they're simply going to put ANY human to shame by being able to keep moving ahead of even a group of determined "hunters", and of course with the ability to back-track, switch directions, more easily scale the most rugged terrain, I'd say the biggest problem for any hunter is going to be able to get close enough to get a shot off, I dont see it happening on an organized hunt.

A well concealed, stealthy human in a stand, blind, or other camo, that's in a well documented encounter area probably (IMO) has a better chance at seeing something, or possibly getting a shot off.

I'd personally prefer if someone got some really excellent undisbutable video evidence, and/or was able somehow to get a small tissue/blood/hair follicle sample to correspond with the film evidence.

Time will tell.....

A R T

Edited by Art1972

Art1972 wrote:

I'd personally prefer if someone got some really excellent undisbutable video evidence, and/or was able somehow to get a small tissue/blood/hair follicle sample to correspond with the film evidence.

There is no such thing as indisputable video evidence. And DNA and hair testing haven't faired much better.

That's why I'm pro kill, I think it's the only slam dunk method of proving the existence of this incredible species.

I think with sweat glands, humans really are the pinnacle of long distance travel (endurance). But Squatch might have a leg up on us in very mountainous terrain. But imagine the **** calorie count of a 1000 lbs animal trying to out travel Humans? It's a costly body type, and I don't think it would be sustainable.

It has been said before, and someone in chat last night said it again, "Their curiosity greatly outweighs any aggression." Seems to ring true also, they are more curious than they are anything, and may well not expect someone wondering in the "Back yard" to try and blow them away. To get them to become physically dangerous, I am sure one would have to provoke them WITH physical danger. A wild animal that is out to get you will not merely LET you see it, but will be as stealthy and sneaky as it's ability will allow. So it is a safe bet that if you encounter one of these, it is not out to get you.

From what I gather, to understand what you are hunting, give a human the strength of 20 and the senses of a wild predator. Most people that go out into the woods are bound by full time jobs, tight budgets, and families to feed. You do nothing but SPEND money while in the field, and this will not change until Science gets involved. The most fortunate of us cannot go out into the field for more than a week or two at a time, and the rest can only buy a weekend.

Most people, maybe all, cannot move through the woods but at a pace of 2-3 MPH at best. That pace is going to slow tremendously if you are tracking and having to pay extremely close attention to detail. We are at a disadvantage here because the Sasquatch is merely moving away, it doesn't have to do anything but walk. The Sasquatch skin is much much thicker than our own, and the strength surpasses any two men, allowing them the ability to blow through vegetative obstructions as though it wasn't even their, whereas it brings us to a complete stop and often we have to go around. Couple that with noted backtracking(Which can set back a skilled hunter for hours even) and the fact that they use water ways as highways, things start to get really....hairy....XD All of this is noted in daylight, it all becomes a bigger problem by exponential amounts at night time. Also take note that you will almost have to have large flashlights on to make it uninjured at night, that is as good a warning that you are coming as any. Forget about it in that situation, if they get curious and decide to come close you will get the shot, but if they switch into "Get away" mode you are going to keel over before you get close.

Keep in mind also, that the figure in the PGF, which was walking, moved at about 6 MPH. Most fit men cannot run that fast, much less a man with hunting gear on him. Just because they have thicker bones and longer legs, that fact alone will allow them to move faster than any man. Walking, at least with the Homo Sapien anatomy, burns very few to no calories, what is a relaxed walk in the park for a 9 foot tall Sasquatch is a murderous pace for us. Add on that they are right out in better shape than any of us and are more experienced in that environment than any man, and you will probably fail to pursue.

I would say that they could simply disappear up a tree or lay flat on the ground after a successful backtrack, but I am factoring that all of the human members are professional level trackers.

If you want to think about the factors and potential dangers if they turn on you, well they kill elk with rocks, so your guns will not even out the playing field. They will be in numbers of 3 or more and you will likely be unsuccessful in high numbers over 5 unless you have enough to surround a region(100 or more?) Virtually limitless strength in comparison to man, if one gets close to someone, it is over.

I would imagine that the best/most likely way the kill will happen is through a habituation sight. Just imagine if their were heavily armed hunters on the Kentucky property? Just install one way windows with a small slit for a gun, stake it out, bait them in time and time again, then after a month or two start getting ready for the shot. Make them comfortable, leave the food out very often and not far from the tree line. Maybe have a set up on all corners of the house, with bait in sight of the one way window. When you feel you will nail the sucker, take the shot. You will only get one chance, as obviously, once they have been shot at they will move far away to another area. Just food for thought, as always :D

They are potentially stealthier than we are, he have poor sense in comparison to most any wild creature which impedes this.

They are obviously faster and more fit for a run. You will not catch up to one if it decides to run.

They are stronger....obviously.

Tbh their are few if any things I would give a hunter over one in the field.

Guest tracker

There is no such thing as indisputable video evidence. And DNA and hair testing haven't faired much better.

That's why I'm pro kill, I think it's the only slam dunk method of proving the existence of this incredible species.

I not for blowing one of the big guys away unless being attacked but Norsemans right. Everything would be doubted short of a body in the back of someones pick up. But this is not or anti or pro kill thread.

It's how you would obtain the body kind of thread?

So ok we use big guns and ammo to kill one at a bait station or what ever. we get that. but

How could one be captured? what kind of traps would work besides a nice clean tranq shot while at a bait station. Would a dead fall or pressure activated trap work?

Common guys, trapping is the bigger challenge here, who's up the to task?

Guest tracker

Hey Art, guys.

I got a comment about that safari lion vid, yea i know off topic. hey i like hunting too.

First, that was a second lion that charged since they crippled the first in another areato the right? the charging lion came from 9 oclock as they were walking straight towards the first one in the grass. Anyone else catch that? or did you think it was the same one?

I've never hunted lion but i have researched the different challenges each large game or pred can offer a hunter over there. It was almost as if like they were use to people being around? odd how the first one pulled up. hmmm?

If their guide was a pro he needs his friging licenced pulled. Anyone care to take a shot at why and or talk about all the scew ups? Norseman, Hunster, any other big game/pred hunters in the crowd?

Lets use that vid to talk about how easily screws up could happen when hunting Sasq. After we go over what they did wrong. tracker. dry.gif

Edited by tracker

Hey Art, guys.

I got a comment about that safari lion vid, yea i know off topic. hey i like hunting too.

First, that was a second lion that charged since they crippled the first in another areato the right? the charging lion came from 9 oclock as they were walking straight towards the first one in the grass. Anyone else catch that? or did you think it was the same one?

I've never hunted lion but i have researched the different challenges each large game or pred can offer a hunter over there. It was almost as if like they were use to people being around? odd how the first one pulled up. hmmm?

If their guide was a pro he needs his friging licenced pulled. Anyone care to take a shot at why and or talk about all the scew ups? Norseman, Hunster, any other big game/pred hunters in the crowd?

Lets use that vid to talk about how easily screws up could happen when hunting Sasq. After we go over what they did wrong. tracker. dry.gif

I am pretty sure that was the same lion, almost positive. I am amazed at the resiliency of a wild animal. I have seen deer get their guts shot out and still run for a good distance. That was a lion, imagine something many times more intelligent/more resourceful and twice the size. IMHO their is no comparison between the Sasquatch and any other animal on earth in terms of formidability. One would probably be looking for that kill shot in vegetation 3x or more thicker than what they got the lion in.

Guest tracker

Hey Xion,

I am still not sure, there was a hit then what did it do, bank left and charge from 30 yards away? Maybe it was just the narrow vid angle? . sometimes in a pride there's more than one male, brothers . They will fight and defend as a team. Only the dominent brother get mating rights though.

Hey i started a thread called Just Hunting in the field Section, So for those of us who love talking shop about hunting might want to stop by. very cool stuff. tracker. ;)

Hey Xion,

I am still not sure, there was a hit then what did it do, bank left and charge from 30 yards away? Maybe it was just the narrow vid angle? . sometimes in a pride there's more than one male, brothers . They will fight and defend as a team. Only the dominent brother get mating rights though.

Hey i started a thread called Just Hunting in the field Section, So for those of us who love talking shop about hunting might want to stop by. very cool stuff. tracker. ;)

I'll be their soon :D

They tracked the one they hit into that brush area. Their were two, but they had split up at the time of the video. It led them in circles, and on the second go around they noted that its tracks were ontop of their own, indicating that it was stalking them. They cought eye of it, and ran it into the brush area where they could not get a clean shot(Could not make it out). Cornered in the brush, that is when it attacked. The video deals with only that one lion, the other one was not around.

The lion was lined up and shot several times during the charge with what is likely massive caliber rifles before it dropped, and still yet almost claimed one victim. I cannot imagine someone catching one of the big guys in a situation this good. But this video does demonstrate some of the characteristics involved in a hunt. The target blends in with the environment very well, so well that it is difficult to spot even when fully visible. Notice how close the hunters are to the Lion's location, but still cannot get a clean shot.

Use a tranquillizer gun....

The obvious problem with that scenario is that "tranquillizer guns" (and, particularly, the dope that goes in them) are not available to Joe Sixpack.

The "scientists" can get them, but they aren't in the hunt. They aren't even in the neighborhood.

Next................

Re: the lion vid... #1 sorry i know its slightly off topic, but it is relevant in relation to the size, strength, and reaction one might expect from a large, injured wild creature.... and how unprepared many hunters would be for said reaction...

It is in my opinion the same lion.. there's a longer 2:45 second video with less editing on YouTube, but i didnt use it cus embedding was not allowed on that one... There is a pause/ video edit, where after the lion is hit, its back up and sitting there looking at them... then its been edited to where the hunters are moving to the right (i believe to get a better finishing shot), and at that point "Simba" decides that if today's his last day, that he's going to take out some hunters before he breathes his final breath.

here's a link to it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQsTGIvmp90

Hunting and shooting at a BF' is not like hunting shooting at a deer or game animal. I tried to relate this to others by comparing it to ground hunting a grizzly in NA.

The key to successfully hunting a brown bear in North America is to do so in an area with a high density of brown bears. In other words, if you try to catch one in Florida, you're not likely to be successful, but if you try to catch one on Kodiak Island, your chances go up exponentially.

The same is true of sasquatches.

Where is there a high density of sasquatches?

I don't think there is anywhere with a high density, but I believe the Pacific Northwest has the highest density.

And the PNW is densely forested. Very montane. Very wet. Lots of rivers.

Probably the most difficult hunting terrain there is.

I am not going to lose any sleep over the scientific community not having enough DNA or not being involved in the hunt.

How about losing money over the scientific community not accepting what you catch?

This is all about the "scientific community", despite how that makes me sick to my stomach. Until they say you caught a sasquatch, you haven't caught a sasquatch.

And "DNA" ain't gonna cut it. If a chimp is "98%" like ours, and so many purported DNA samples have come back as "human", it is quite likely that these creatures are human enough to have "human" DNA.

If you shoot one and chop off it's hand, they'll tell you that you have a large, hairy human hand.

Sorry, but you have to make it "foolproof", because the scientific community is rife with.................well, I can't use the word, lest I get castigated again. In short:

It has to be a carcass. Anything less is a complete waste of time, money, and effort.

How about losing money over the scientific community not accepting what you catch?

This is all about the "scientific community", despite how that makes me sick to my stomach. Until they say you caught a sasquatch, you haven't caught a sasquatch.

And "DNA" ain't gonna cut it. If a chimp is "98%" like ours, and so many purported DNA samples have come back as "human", it is quite likely that these creatures are human enough to have "human" DNA.

If you shoot one and chop off it's hand, they'll tell you that you have a large, hairy human hand.

Sorry, but you have to make it "foolproof", because the scientific community is rife with.................well, I can't use the word, lest I get castigated again. In short:

It has to be a carcass. Anything less is a complete waste of time, money, and effort.

I concur.

Hey Art, guys.

I wasn't there, so I can only comment about what takes place in the video. And what takes place in the video is that the Lion charged and they failed to stop it, and they got lucky. It's the pro's job to protect his client and STOP all charges, that's where he makes his money. As you can imagine it's pretty bad business practice when your hunting clients are all getting eaten. Although I will say that when you hunt dangerous game? Nothing is promised and things happen, just because your not the guide doesn't mean your insulated from having the tables turned on you. That should be remembered each and every time your lacing up your boots in the morn.

I wasn't there, so I can only comment about what takes place in the video. And what takes place in the video is that the Lion charged and they failed to stop it, and they got lucky. It's the pro's job to protect his client and STOP all charges, that's where he makes his money. As you can imagine it's pretty bad business practice when your hunting clients are all getting eaten. Although I will say that when you hunt dangerous game? Nothing is promised and things happen.....

Yup. Life is filled with risk, error, bad luck, etc.

There are no guarantees. Hunting dangerous game is..............dangerous.