Attn: Closet Witnesses

Listen, this is really something that the Steering Committee should decide upon, so have patience, you can submit the suggestion to them once the members are established. Until then, the two threads that Splash suggested will have to suffice.

Listen, this is really something that the Steering Committee should decide upon, so have patience, you can submit the suggestion to them once the members are established. Until then, the two threads that Splash suggested will have to suffice.

Where did I demand that staff do a single thing? This thread is not directed at staff. The only intention of this thread was to reach out to other witnesses to hear their ideas, hopes, concerns, willingness to get involved, etc.... and now I have two staff members trying to shut me down? I thought this was a New BFF... how disheartening...

No, you supplied me with two thread links. I visited them. They are just threads like all the other threads that no sane, in-the-know witness would post in. To say that these two threads constitute a witness support community at the BFF minimized the need for witness community the first time you said it to me, and isn't any less minimizing this second time around either.

Hold on! You are reading my post entirely the wrong way. Don't let your enthusiasm for the new BFF and getting to have a "Witness Subforum" go to your head. I am on your side.

The threads that I linked to you are for witnesses to post their encounters without questions and a follow up thread for those witnesses that were willing to take questions. I approved those threads for the very same reasons you want a Witness Subforum. My point was that so far they are underutilized. It is not the forum's fault that more people haven't post there.

Surely you are not saying that the few witnesses that have already posted in those threads are not "sane", "in the know" real witnesses, are you? I certainly hope not. :angry:

Nobody's started a witness support community on this forum. You are the first to bring it up.

This is an example of the uncaring reaction from BFF staff that lurking witnesses run into at the BFF and which definitely help them to decide to vacate the premises.

I take exception to that statement. We have the best and most caring Staff on any forum. We are trying to bring the BFF 2.0 up to the best standards for a bigfoot forum. Dwelling upon what you saw as wrong on the BFF 1.0 and hitting us over the head with it won't win you any points here.

...because the BFF's reputation for being the LAST place for witnesses to come share is still currently the way these forums are perceived...

Maybe by you and some folks, but you should really give this forum a chance to prove you wrong before you just write us off. I know that you weren't too happy with the treatment that you got on the BFF 1.0, but in order to participate on this new BFF 2.0 everyone has to leave their baggage at the door. We do not want old grudges brought back to the new forum. Thanks.

I'm confused and vexed by this statement. But then I think I'm supposed to be. Well then, respectfully, it seems you are either a skeptic/naysayer yourself or you're new here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, that's kind of funny. Your perception of me is entirely off base.

Anyone whose spent any time here couldn't pretend that there is no history for old BFF members to reconcile. And you can't seriously believe that just because the BFF re-booted, it's somehow just automatically understood that the reputation of the place is re-set as well... come on... get real! It's going to take a bit more inclusive-ness this time around if the BFF hopes to come to be seen as the neutral place it describes in its posting guidelines.

Oh, this place isn't neutral. It is a bigfoot forum. It's all about bigfoot. Remember, this is the Bigfoot Forums, not the Anti-Bigfoot Forums. We are most definitely pro-bigfoot here.

I'm trying to inspire the kick-off of just one itty bitty part of that new and improved neutrality here. And, not unexpectedly, but with some loss of initial new-found respect, a BFF staffer feels a need to try to shut me down. Classic.

Like I said, you are reading the wrong things into my initial responses to you. Go back and show me where I tried to shut you down. ;)

Quotes around the word witnesses? Really? Are you kidding me? I wonder why 'not that many "witnesses" want to post their encounters' here at the BFF... could it possibly be the unfriendly atmosphere... or is it that bigfoot is a hoax...?

The quotations were to differentiate between witnesses and researchers. Sheeeesh! :blink:

All I hear is, "keep it to yourself", "keep it to yourself", "keep it to yourself"...

You haven't heard that on this forum. ;)

Oh yes, if you are proof, there will be some very good policing going on. I thought you were called a moderator... that means helping people find fairness on any given topic, including those you have personal feelings about.

I would direct you to my original post. It clearly states that this is a thread which accepts positive, supportive posts... the naysayers have had years and years to state their case.

Watch it, lady. Don't come here and start brow beating the staff. :angry:

I don't have any personal feelings toward any member on this forum. I endeavor to treat everyone fairly, proponent or skeptic.

I was behind you in your original post, at least before your diatribe towards me. ;)

I'm sorry you feel that way. I actually thought your suggestion for a support group had some merit, but if you weren't happy with what was in place, then perhaps something could be done to improve upon it. I don't have any problem with you discussing the possibility for that here.

Branco

...but this thread was started to discuss the potential of creating a witness community... <_<

It is good idea. Some of the problems are, at least in the Southeast, (the ONLY area in which I personally have investigated hundreds of reports over the past 30 odd years) are:

(1) At least 75% of valid sightings are made by people who have no computers, and their encounters are not reported publicly,

(2) At least 75% of the initial "witness" reports that are received by e-mail by the major "Bigfoot Research Organizations" are fraudulent,

(3) Without doing in-field investigations by personnel with experience in both the evaluation of witness statements and with some knowledge of the animals themselves, to try to somewhat evaluate the reported "encounters", the witness reports themselves would not mean much, and;

(4) The "witness community" would have to consist of nothing but actual witnesses, and I douby that such a community could exist as a valid outreach on this forum.

bipedalist

I would imagine that the 75 percent of sightings by people with no computers would include some....maybe not the majority.... who would have access to friends/relatives/libraries that could help make the computer connection if a service was in place to hear them out. If 75 % of reports to BFRO type groups are bogus and there is a backlog then that means the 25% of valid reports may still be in queue in many instances. I think the issue would be what percentage of those that could find ways to connect would be willing to share. Sometimes the anonymity of a computer account on a BFF forum may be one way to give voice to those that worry about what other's will think that keep them from reporting face-to-face to family, friend or authority.

I don't think the idea being proposed was as much to "evaluate" the sighting or encounter as much as it would be simply to give voice to the ambivalent that may be troubled by their sighting. Valid outreach may be possible on this forum, whether it results in a community or not might be a valid point, however. Actual witnesses who are not already associated with a group or research effort may be hard to come by to volunteer for such an effort but here we have a valiant volunteer that is willing to try to think this through for the benefit of a few. Maybe it is these kind of folks that should be on the blogtalk shows trying to garner some attention for efforts such as these. I think the idea is very good but I sure do not know how to light this candle. Being open to ideas is a start. Just trying to get some dialogue going sounds like a pretty good start.

Edited by bipedalist

Hi Branco, and thanks for posting!

It is good idea.

Thanks!

(1) At least 75% of valid sightings are made by people who have no computers, and their encounters are not reported publicly,

Well, I hear you about the problem of remoteness for some witnesses. I'm sure that presents a problem in your research as well... if BF is out in the backwoods where there's no internet connection or cell reception, how do you get reports? Wow. Never thought of that.

So, any community for witnesses would just have to rely on the normal internet traffic the forums already receive.

(2) At least 75% of the initial "witness" reports that are received by e-mail by the major "Bigfoot Research Organizations" are fraudulent,

Not offering a safe zone for incoming witnesses does not save us from hoaxers... the good ones find a way to get publicity. It's the people who aren't looking for fame and fortune, who've been lurking the forums for years... those are the closet witnesses who I'm trying to create a space for in cyberspace. Chasing off ALL witnesses does not cure the hoaxing problem.

(3) Without doing in-field investigations by personnel with experience in both the evaluation of witness statements and with some knowledge of the animals themselves, to try to somewhat evaluate the reported "encounters", the witness reports themselves would not mean much, and;

It's not necessarily meant to mean much every time a witness makes his way to the community. It can just be for their own good... a place to feel not so alone with what they've experienced. But certainly, some witnesses are going to have useful info for researchers and it would be just a matter of inviting an interesting witness to come chat on a thread set-up on the open forums for researchers to ask questions and evaluate what they're told.

(4) The "witness community" would have to consist of nothing but actual witnesses, and I douby that such a community could exist as a valid outreach on this forum.

Well, if witnesses are made to feel welcome here by the existence of a safe zone, I think we might just get to see how many closet and lurking witnesses actually spend time on the BFF already.

Hey, thanks again for your interest and thought-provoking concerns!

I think this is a great idea and it will soon take off with help from the interior.. AND eventually once people see they can comfortably come through.. they will. All these threads provide more information which is the goal I would think.. soliciting information from someone on the borderline.. not sure.. do I tell ? Who do I tell ? Good points all.. and in time people without the basics eventually may make their way here with help with friend or relative.. Nice stuff L.

Oh bipedalist... :wub:

I would imagine that the 75 percent of sightings by people with no computers would include some....maybe not the majority.... who would have access to friends/relatives/libraries that could help make the connection if a service was in place to hear them out. If 75 % of reports to BFRO type groups are bogus and there is a backlog then that means the 25% of valid reports may still be in queue in many instances. I think the issue would be what percentage of those that could find ways to connect would be willing to share. Sometimes the anonymity of a computer account on a BFF forum may be one way to give voice to those that worry about what other's will think that keep them from reporting face-to-face to family, friend or authority.

I have nothing to add... well-said!

I don't think the idea being proposed was as much to "evaluate" the sighting or encounter as much as it would be simply to give voice to the ambivalent that may be troubled by their sighting.

Exactly.

Valid outreach may be possible on this forum, whether it results in a community or not might be a valid point, however. Actual witnesses who are not already associated with a group or research effort may be hard to come by to volunteer for such an effort but here we have a valiant volunteer that is willing to try to think this through for the benefit of a few. Maybe it is these kind of folks that should be on the blogtalk shows trying to garner some attention for efforts such as these. I think the idea is very good but I sure do not know how to light this candle. Being open to ideas is a start. Just trying to get some dialogue going sounds like a pretty good start.

Biped... your respect is so valuable to me. Thank you for acknowledging my efforts and continuing your ongoing support.

bipedalist

Sure wish C. LeKanth was still posting on the forum here. I may shoot him an email and see what he has to say about how to think this one through.

I think the idea is very good but I sure do not know how to light this candle. Being open to ideas is a start. Just trying to get some dialogue going sounds like a pretty good start. -Biped

-----------

I think you just did B)

I think this is a great idea

Thanks treeknocker!

and it will soon take off with help from the interior..

...if we make the effort to design something useful and doable, I'm sure that help will come...

AND eventually once people see they can comfortably come through.. they will.

yup!

All these threads provide more information which is the goal I would think.. soliciting information from someone on the borderline.. not sure.. do I tell ? Who do I tell ?

...just think of all the people out there who could NEVER tell anyone for fear of being ridiculed and stigmatized! I don't tell the 3D people in my life! Egad! They'd think I was completely nuts!

Good points all.. and in time people without the basics eventually may make their way here with help with friend or relative..

Yes, it would be great if the people out in the wilderness areas could be involved here too...

Nice stuff L.

Thanks again!

bipedalist

Well I fired off my email to C. LeKanth, hope he can take time out of his busy schedule to stop by or respond.

Sure wish C. LeKanth was still posting on the forum here. I may shoot him an email and see what he has to say about how to think this one through.

I've never heard of C. LeKanth before... my google search just led me back to the BFF :lol:

Whoever she/he is, if you think they would be interested in helping with ideas... heck yeah... I'd love to have some discussions with her/him!

Edited by LePetitPied

Well I fired off my email to C. LeKanth, hope he can take time out of his busy schedule to stop by or respond.

Cool, thanks!

I'll be heading to bed here in a minute... it's after 3am here... argh. But if you think he will reply and come over, I'll make the effort to stay up...