Attn: Closet Witnesses

bipedalist

I'm sworn to secrecy about the person, suffice it to say he was highly active in his discussion in the PTSD thread started on BFF 1.0 (I believe by you LPP :o )

He could be very helpful.

Edited by bipedalist

Maybe approach it like they do with the support group forums? I like that idea, sometimes ventilating makes a world of difference.As I said, research it, get a good plan for a better design than what we have and submit the proposal to the right group. Never hurts to ask.

bipedalist

Yes, nice reference there Jodie.....got some researching to do for sure.

bipedalist

LPP you have a PM (if you can remember how to open them, :lol: click on your name top right and drop down will show messenger & click on that).

Guest Spazmo

WOW.

I didn't expect this thread to get heated. But it sure did...

So, first of all, I believe Splash is a witness (Splash, please correct me if I'm wrong here). He is not a naysayer as far as I know, but he is one who questions claims. But I think categorizing him as part of the perceived problem concerning witness reluctance to post here is somewhat unfair, and is also something we don't like to see in the open threads (attitudes towards staff). But rather than try to point out who might be wrong in this instance, how about we do the "deep breath drill" instead and continue this discussion more calmly? It is worth discussing, IMO.

This topic is not new, either. I have had some conversations with a couple of staff members that were almost identical to this topic, and I even came up with some ideas to make it happen. I had thought of having "safe haven" areas myself. But keeping some members out of certain areas (or asking them to refrain from posting in them) is somewhat problematic in execution. Not impossible, but not easy. Bottom line: this topic has been, and continues to be, discussed by staff. So labeling staff as part of a problem is also somewhat unfair.

Jodie probably made the best post so far because it was directed at calmly keeping the peace while still allowing for all involved to be "right" (thanks Jodie). And what she said is spot on, this should be (and probably will be) a Steering Committee issue. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be talked about here, it just means that the issue is important enough to potentially effect the direction of the forum, and as such falls under the review of the SC. The full committee will be formed in a few days, and I'm sure the new SC will look forward to tackling this issue and many others. In the meantime, topics like this are going to serve as platforms for those currently nominated for the SC seats. So keep this in mind while discussing this topic, as your words here will undoubtedly effect the way the members vote on nominees that are participating in this discussion.

Getting angry doesn't solve anything, and that was one of the biggest problems with the old BFF. As Splash mentioned, we are trying really hard to keep old grudges out, and that includes bringing up old problems and expecting no change. Discussion brings change, anger brings us back to square one.

Regardless of who makes it on to the Steering Committee, as Chairman I can tell you without doubt that this topic will receive the attention it deserves. The two threads Splash linked to were in direct response to similar concerns brought up very soon after the relaunch. Can we do more? Probably. Time, and calm discussion, will tell.

Guest Spazmo

Almost forgot...

C. LeKanth is not far away...I spoke with him just the other day.

(if you can remember how to open them, :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol::unsure::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And in reply, to quote AOL: You've got mail!

I'm sworn to secrecy about the person, suffice it to say he was highly active in his discussion in the PTSD thread started on BFF 1.0 (I believe by you LPP :o )

He could be very helpful.

Oh yeah... the PTSD thread... it gave me more PTSD, I swear!

Maybe approach it like they do with the support group forums? I like that idea, sometimes ventilating makes a world of difference.As I said, research it, get a good plan for a better design than what we have and submit the proposal to the right group.

Yup, that has always pretty much been the vision.

Never hurts to ask.

Amazingly enough, I can report that it has. Previous attempts to get something started for witnesses has been summarily dismissed up til now... it will be interesting to see how the new BFF will react to us.

bipedalist

Naaw....better get some shut-eye I'll keep your time zone in mind though, thanks for the reminder.

Sorry it took so long to reply, lordpiney... I got a bit distracted there for a minute.

Thanks for sharing the link to your sighting... are you interested in supporting a witness community here on the BFF?

Thanks for posting!

lol...i understand lpp. absolutely! im all for it.

Guest C LeKanth

Thanks to Bipedalist for alerting me to this discussion. I have read through this thread as well as some posts of LPP on this subject elsewhere. I am strongly in favor of the intentions here—respect and understanding for witnesses, some of whom may be having a hard time due to their experiences. A subject dear to my heart. But how to make it happen, what may be possible in a public internet forum environment--that’s not so clear to me.

I’d like to help, but two things in front. I’m really limited in terms of posting and email back and forth—I apologize ahead of time. Also, I will probably be limited by professional considerations in what I can do, say, comment on, take responsibility for, and so forth. But, I repeat: this is dear to my heart, so I’ll do what I can.

I think the best thing for me personally is to wait for the Steering Committee and then work with whoever is involved to see what's possible. OK?

C LeKanth

Thanks to Bipedalist for alerting me to this discussion. I have read through this thread as well as some posts of LPP on this subject elsewhere. I am strongly in favor of the intentions here—respect and understanding for witnesses, some of whom may be having a hard time due to their experiences. A subject dear to my heart. But how to make it happen, what may be possible in a public internet forum environment--that’s not so clear to me.

I’d like to help, but two things in front. I’m really limited in terms of posting and email back and forth—I apologize ahead of time. Also, I will probably be limited by professional considerations in what I can do, say, comment on, take responsibility for, and so forth. But, I repeat: this is dear to my heart, so I’ll do what I can.

I think the best thing for me personally is to wait for the Steering Committee and then work with whoever is involved to see what's possible. OK?

C LeKanth

Sounds great, C. And thanks ahead of time for any support you can offer.

bipedalist

Excellent CLK, that is advice we all can heed. Thanks for the input and supportive guidance (and prompt response).

PS LPP you have a response (and an email)

Edited by bipedalist