Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crowlogic

Bob Heironimus And Bob Gimlin's Friendship

Guest Crowlogic

The two Bobs were friends. One Bob carried a potentially dark secret that he incurred much ridicule in order to keep the secret safe. The other Bob knew the dark secret too but hadn't had to endure the ridicule that his friend did. One Bob was owed money by a long dead cohort and the other Bob wasn't responsible for what their dead friend promised. So one Bob decides to release the dark secret to the world even though it could destroy his friend the other Bob. What kind of a man rat's out a friend like that?

Guest yetifan

The two Bobs were friends. One Bob carried a potentially dark secret that he incurred much ridicule in order to keep the secret safe. The other Bob knew the dark secret too but hadn't had to endure the ridicule that his friend did. One Bob was owed money by a long dead cohort and the other Bob wasn't responsible for what their dead friend promised. So one Bob decides to release the dark secret to the world even though it could destroy his friend the other Bob. What kind of a man rat's out a friend like that?

Someone who's conscience caught up with him in the sense that the truth is more important than a promise based on a lie?

Guest Thepattywagon

The same kind of guy who, would break his agreement with Roger to keep his mouth shut, the minute he had the opportunity to corral an audience?

kitakaze
What kind of a man rat's out a friend like that?

Oh, an ad hom thread.

How to win friends and influence on the BFF.

Guest gershake

One of the rare occasions where I give out a green plus, and to kit of all. :)

Guest Crowlogic

Oh, an ad hom thread.

How to win friends and influence on the BFF.

Young man you're quite wrong about this. In the matters revolving around the PGF virtually every and all aspects of the characters and their motivations need to be discussed. You're quite willing to stage a "steel cage match" between the two Bobs. Now if this thread somehow violates any forum or cultural standards then petition the moderators to have it removed.

An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), also known as argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.[1] The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy,[2] but it is not always fallacious; in some instances, questions of personal conduct, character, motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue.[3]

So far, it looks like you are debating an ad hominem fallacy, that may or may not be relevant to the issue.

Under "Respect for Others" of the BFF guidelines it states:

Disrespectful personal comments about others, including those involved in the search for Bigfoot or not, will not be tolerated. You are welcome to discuss their work, and comment on their performance, but personal attacks against them -- anything regarded as a personal affront, including criticism of whether they conduct field research or not -- is expressly against our rules.

Is it disrespectful to analyze the motivations about someone's actions if those actions are fact? I think the choice of actions the two Bob's chose to make speak for themselves. I can't see the relevance for the analysis of the psychology behind those actions in the PGF debate without this leading to derogatory remarks. I'm closing the thread for now until further review by the other mods.

After consideration, we have decided to let this thread roll.

A word of caution. If it gets ugly in here, the thread will get closed down.

Also, if it does get ugly in here, don't be surprised if warning levels are increased.

Let's have a good time in here and discuss the issues.

Thanks,

Splash

kitakaze

Glenda Heironimus (Bob's wife) and Judy and Bob Gimlin are still on friendly terms. Judy and Glenda chat all the time on their street. When I did my first interview with Bob Heironimus last year he had just been at a horse show with Bob Gimlin only two weeks before. They spoke, but nothing about the film. Within their lives and their small community, the film is not a part of life. It is for Gimlin in the sense that he is a regular on the Bigfoot enthusiast conference circuit.

Guest parnassus

a guy who was also admitting he himself was involved, and was going to give it up after 35 years, tell the truth, and face the music, and who told Gimlin well in advance that he was going to, and advised him to also give it up. That's what kind of guy.

Guest parnassus

You are, imho, in essence conceding that what Bob H. says is true, because otherwise it couldn't destroy Bob G. And then, imho, you are just saying he's a rat for doing it. Is that right? so if I characterized this post as sour grapes, would I be far off?

Edited by parnassus

Guest Old Fishing Man

Glenda Heironimus (Bob's wife) and Judy and Bob Gimlin are still on friendly terms. Judy and Glenda chat all the time on their street. When I did my first interview with Bob Heironimus last year he had just been at a horse show with Bob Gimlin only two weeks before. They spoke, but nothing about the film. Within their lives and their small community, the film is not a part of life. It is for Gimlin in the sense that he is a regular on the Bigfoot enthusiast conference circuit.

You mean "[According to Glenda] Glenda Heironimus (Bob's wife) and Judy and Bob Gimlin are still on friendly terms. [According to Glenda] Judy and Glenda chat all the time on their street. When I did my first interview with Bob Heironimus last year he had just been at a horse show with [that] Bob Gimlin [was also at] only two weeks before. They spoke, but nothing about the film. Within their lives and their small community, the film is not a part of life. It is [a part of life] for Gimlin in the sense that he is a regular on the Bigfoot enthusiast conference circuit."

I have talked to Gimlin at the Ohio conference and he made it very clear that Bob H and him were not friends and were never close friends in the past.

Guest Crowlogic

It's not uncommon for the wives/women of men who are at odds to remain friendly to each other. It's one of the ways women often manage to smooth over rifts between men. It shouldn't be looked upon that there is no friction between Bob and Bob.

Guest Crowlogic

You are, imho, in essence conceding that what Bob H. says is true, because otherwise it couldn't destroy Bob G. And then, imho, you are just saying he's a rat for doing it. Is that right? so if I characterized this post as sour grapes, would I be far off?

Well Parn no I'm not conceding that at all. In a sense I worded the OP to put the issue in the context that usually causes discussion about these two men. Bob H has the sour grapes not me. I raised the question because the truth Bob H sought to leash on the world is hardly worth the damage the truth would do to Bob Gimlin. The entire timing of Bob H's confession is what poison's both his motive and whatever his gains might be. At some point in everything there's a time to divulge and a time to stay quiet. Bob H's window of a divulging of truth while maintaining the integrity of his motives was long long gone by the time he came forward. Sometimes you forever hold your piece. Of course everything I'm saying is based on the big IF Bob H is telling the truth about his role in the PGF. But no I don't think Bob H was at Bluff Creek anyway.

kitakaze

You mean "[According to Glenda] Glenda Heironimus (Bob's wife) and Judy and Bob Gimlin are still on friendly terms. [According to Glenda] Judy and Glenda chat all the time on their street. When I did my first interview with Bob Heironimus last year he had just been at a horse show with [that] Bob Gimlin [was also at] only two weeks before. They spoke, but nothing about the film. Within their lives and their small community, the film is not a part of life. It is [a part of life] for Gimlin in the sense that he is a regular on the Bigfoot enthusiast conference circuit."

I have talked to Gimlin at the Ohio conference and he made it very clear that Bob H and him were not friends and were never close friends in the past.

Ah...

That would be unfortunate considering Gimlin in his own words confirmed they were close during a Q&A at the Washington State Capital Museum on January 26, 2008 and that he thought his friend was duped into making the confession.

That would be unfortunate considering in Ohio Gimlin confirmed he still speaks with the guy he said he was never friends with (14:49)...

That would be unfortunate consideriing people don't tend to lend horses they train and care for themselves for three weeks two states away on a Bigfoot search to people they are not good friends with and can trust implicitly.

But thanks for sharing Gimlin telling something that is obviously not true.

See, OFM, the thing is that there are not many, but there are a few people out there like me that while not accepting everything Gimlin says, we take great care to be extremely well informed about the things he does say publicly. That is because there are times like this when the informed skeptic can completely refute with his own words something Gimlin told to one of his ardent believers while on the conference circuit.

Oops.

Edited by kitakaze

Sign in to follow this